New Butterfly rubber "Dignics 05" 2019

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 2 reviews
Photos on the website show the sponge is black? Can someone translate what the 22% means to.

butterflydignics05.jpgbutterflydignics05-4.jpgbutterflydignics05-2.jpgbutterflydignics05-1.jpgbutterflydignics05-3.jpgbutterflydignics05-5.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Photos on the website show the sponge is black?

That's just the artistic black/white nature of Butterfly's image gallery slider widget on the page. It's "deep red".

I think the metrics (22%, 3.4%) refer to arc and hitting power?

Sponge hardness -

T05 - 36
T05H - 43
D05 - 40

Dignics is on Spring Sponge X though, so a direct comparison of hardness might not be as clear-cut as usual. BTY state that although D05's sponge is harder on paper, SSX is "easier to deform", is 3% lighter than regular Spring Sponge (of the same hardness and thickness), and so will feel pretty close overall to regular T05. So, are we talking about a different pore size? Or a change in the chemical composition of the sponge?

The topsheet looks to use regular 05 pimple geometry, but uses a new rubber formulation.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
It's always fun digging around in the various links on the page. MJ's setup, for example -

https://www.butterfly.co.jp/players/detail/mizutani-jun.html

Dignics 05 and Dignics 80...

Yea, I saw this too! Which is proof we'll get several declinations of the Dignics as time comes. Dignics 05, 80 and 64 have been registered in the LARC for a little while, hopefully they'll come out not too long after D05. I'm hoping for FX versions of them soon too but have a feeling that'll take them a bit more time to roll out.

ok

[h=2]スイング方向に飛びやすく、相手コートにより深く入る basically this is what we usually call higher arc[/h]
[h=2]弧線を描きやすく、打球の威力が向上 : easier to create arc, increase quality of your shot[/h]
the graph is like what G_ZHANG said,

[h=2]より回転のかかった、より無駄のない、速いプレーへ : you can impart more spin to have more powerful play (as in this rubber can generate more spin with more power)[/h]
[h=2]ディグニクス05は、どのような選手におすすめか: what kind of player is recommended to use dignics 05?[/h]1. players with good receives and can change it into attack (aka those chikita receiver)
2. players who like to counter a lot.
3. all around players
4. players who not confidence with their power (they said with compact stroke, this rubber can provide wider variety of play (as in playing style maybe)
5. (not sure about this one) but I think player who can impart lots of spin to the ball.

[h=2]プラスチックボール時代を生き抜くために: made to live through plastic ball era[/h]

Reactions: Dr Evil and Suga D
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
What do you think guys about this rubber?
It will be an improvement to 05

The marketing hyperboles aside, and regardless of the various rubbers' qualities, I'm wondering what game Butterfly is playing here.

Up to T05H (I'd say), Tenergy 05 was the undisputed king of the hill. Untouchable, and no matter what others appeared on the scene, the main question would be: how does this compare to T05?

That sacrosanct position, to me, sounds like pretty much a priceless asset in terms of brand value. Which is apparently something relevant in ape colonies, such as the table tennis population forms.

The main message I see Butterfly sending out with the T05H marketing, and now this Dignics 05, is that T05 isn't all that after all. Now why undercut that untouchable position previously held this way? What compels this line of action?

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
If some of the Butterfly pros are using it, why don't all of them use it? Harimoto, Timo, Liam Pitchford?

I think the answer to that question also answers "why doesn't everybody just use the same equipment?".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
The marketing hyperboles aside, and regardless of the various rubbers' qualities, I'm wondering what game Butterfly is playing here.

Up to T05H (I'd say), Tenergy 05 was the undisputed king of the hill. Untouchable, and no matter what others appeared on the scene, the main question would be: how does this compare to T05?

That sacrosanct position, to me, sounds like pretty much a priceless asset in terms of brand value. Which is apparently something relevant in ape colonies, such as the table tennis population forms.

The main message I see Butterfly sending out with the T05H marketing, and now this Dignics 05, is that T05 isn't all that after all. Now why undercut that untouchable position previously held this way? What compels this line of action?

T05's position was never objectively sacrosanct. Anyone who genuinely believes that is just fooling themselves. It's a great rubber, but no piece of equipment is one-size-fits-all, and table tennis has changed substantially since T05 was introduced. Even without that, there is always room for improvement and thinking that T05 (or anything) is some sort of peak which can never be exceeded is just an artificial ceiling people decide to introduce.

That said, Butterfly have engineered an aura around their products which leads to consumers thinking that their stuff is objectively better than everything else out there. They're the masters of it, and once they achieved their market position they protected it like a crocodile with its eggs, which is only sensible when your retail price is so high (even if I personally dislike it). So they have painted themselves into a corner somewhat, as your post demonstrates. If you convince the market that your product is the absolute best, how do you then convince that same market that something new is better without eroding the original base? You market it as a variation aimed at a different type of player (like T05H) perhaps.

BTY are in a delicate position, but I'm sure they know what they're doing. The dominant product position always gets eroded over time, and they've probably decided now is the time to strike to avoid that.