New Butterfly rubber "Dignics 05" 2019

This user has no status.
I think you're reading it wrong. When she says it's slower, she meant the dwell time is longer. When Butterfly says it's faster they're talking about the speed of the ball after the contact, if the stroke was using the same strength as tenergy 05, the ball speed is faster.

That's not what slow means. I understand it's her second language but this would be a perverse interpretation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
That's not what slow means. I understand it's her second language but this would be a perverse interpretation.

I know what slow means, but why can't you read from context? I'm just saying that from the context of the entirety of her blog post, all she's talking about is the dwell time is longer and she can control the spin much better. No where did she mention about the ball speed, why would she suddenly just say "the ball goes slower" out of nowhere?

This user has no status.
I know what slow means, but why can't you read from context? I'm just saying that from the context of the entirety of her blog post, all she's talking about is the dwell time is longer and she can control the spin much better. No where did she mention about the ball speed, why would she suddenly just say "the ball goes slower" out of nowhere?

It wouldn't be out of nowhere it would make perfect sense in context. You are reading way too interpretively and assuming you are correct when you could easily not be.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
It wouldn't be out of nowhere it would make perfect sense in context. You are reading way too interpretively and assuming you are correct when you could easily not be.

Then could you explain how it isn’t out of nowhere? I’d love to hear why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDH

says Spin to win!
Had a quick hit with it tonight.

Hard to give an accurate report, as it was on a blade I’d never used before.

Dignics felt very similar to T05 Hard.

The only difference I felt was that the sponge felt.... thicker. Like you could hit the ball harder and not worry about the sponge too much.

Speed and spin felt on par with T05/T05 Hard.

Definitely wasn't feeling the extra cost - But would probably use it if it was the same price.

Need to hit with it for longer to get a proper idea.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Finally got my Harimoto blade today. Put on Dignics 05 (FH) and Tenergy 80 (BH), and just finished my training an hour ago.

Some specifications first, blade weighs only 86g despite the larger head size (my Innerforce Layer ALC weighs 89g) and with the rubber on it weighs 183g (2 layers of Butterfly Free Chack II on blade and rubbers, one layer weighs roughly 0.5g).

Now the impression of the rubber, I'm comparing the entire paddle against my Innerforce Layer ALC with T05 (FH) and T80 (BH) since the construction of the blade is basically the same. Spin is definitely much easier to generate, this is observed through my short backspin serves since this way I can minimize push and maximize brush on the ball. What I observed is the ball bounces backwards with more speed after hitting the other side of the table. I also tested with a top side spin serve, with the same motion the ball ended up on the side of the table instead at the corner where I can consistently serve to with T05, and I had to add a bit more push to get it go to the corner. As for the loops, it felt like when I tried out T05 Hard after using T05 for quite a while, the trajectory is a bit higher because of the easiness to generate spin, so I ended up closing my paddle a bit to make it hit the same position as T05, but the adjustment is not as much as needed for T05 Hard. The change in speed of the ball isn't noticeable by naked eye (it might be different but with the force I'm using I can't say for sure it's faster or slower), but I liked how the ball goes flatter after hitting the table since it has more spin.

All in all, I like the rubber, and I'd get it over T05 any day even with the higher price. Reason being I used to play tacky rubber such as Hurricane 3 on my forehand, but tacky rubbers wears me out too fast, since I had to use a lot more force to make the ball go at the speed I wanted, that's why I switched to Tenergy rubbers in the first place. Though the bounciness of tenergy rubbers always bugged me a little, since I'm used to brushing the ball to generate spin and dwell time of tenergy rubbers makes it a bit tricky. With D05 I think I finally found a rubber that fits me, I like how it has the bounciness of tenergy rubbers and also increased the dwell time which makes brushing the ball a lot easier. Is it a game changer? I can't say it is for sure, I need more time with it to get a better feel, but I do like the characteristics it improves over tenergy. Also tbh I don't think the price is that high, if you don't like it because of the price, you are missing out a lot of fun.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Had a quick hit with it tonight.

Hard to give an accurate report, as it was on a blade I’d never used before.

Dignics felt very similar to T05 Hard.

The only difference I felt was that the sponge felt.... thicker. Like you could hit the ball harder and not worry about the sponge too much.

Speed and spin felt on par with T05/T05 Hard.

Definitely wasn't feeling the extra cost - But would probably use it if it was the same price.

Need to hit with it for longer to get a proper idea.

Was it on both sides of the bat you tried? Wondered if you thought it was more FH or BH suited for you? I tried a Viscaria with T05H on the FH and it was really nice so am thinking of getting that.

Btw - whens your Harimoto blade arriving?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Read a bit over at MyTT that made me chuckle; "Honestly, D05 is simply a xiom vega pro with a $120 price tag."

That made me think, might be true, might not be, but the sad thing is that for many things the fact that they are unaffordable to the hoi polloi is exactly what makes them worthwhile. Decadence and social status are intimately related that way.

On the other hand, I rather like Vega Pro, and this little snide remark made me suspect I'd like D05 too. Being old and weary, I'll probably won't go that way; happy with Rozena, will probably give Fastarc G-1 a go at some point, but that's it for me.

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
I mainly hit on the forehand - But I personally don't put too much value into the whole forehand/backhand rubber - Especially with Tenergy.

I might be alone here, but the differences between T05, T05 Hard and Dignics are incredibly minor. If you have a decent attacking stroke on both wings, you'll be absolutely fine with it on FH or BH.

The reason I use T05 on BH is because I like something a little softer and slower that I can get more pop on the slow spinny shots.

But I've twiddled my bat and used T05 Hard on the backhand, and it's so so similar, and requires very little adjustment (it's just a little more direct and hard, as you'd expect).

Dignics almost felt like a cross between T05 and T05 Hard. The sponge was the obvious difference for me - It felt more dense almost, which gave it a harder feeling than T05 Hard, but it still wasn't "hard" like an actual hard rubber.

I know Duke said you are missing out on a lot of fun, but I'll be brutally honest...... You aren't.

At best, you are missing out on 1% performance, but again, it's questionable.

The ONLY way I'd buy Dignics, is if it lasted longer than T05 and therefore could justify the higher price tag.

In terms of actual game play, you really aren't missing out on anything if you don't use it.

As for the Harimoto blade, it's been delayed.... again! Hopefully it'll arrive at some point next week.

It's due into Butterfly Europe tomorrow, and Tees Sport hope to have it next week!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I mainly hit on the forehand - But I personally don't put too much value into the whole forehand/backhand rubber - Especially with Tenergy.

I might be alone here, but the differences between T05, T05 Hard and Dignics are incredibly minor. If you have a decent attacking stroke on both wings, you'll be absolutely fine with it on FH or BH.

The reason I use T05 on BH is because I like something a little softer and slower that I can get more pop on the slow spinny shots.

But I've twiddled my bat and used T05 Hard on the backhand, and it's so so similar, and requires very little adjustment (it's just a little more direct and hard, as you'd expect).

Dignics almost felt like a cross between T05 and T05 Hard. The sponge was the obvious difference for me - It felt more dense almost, which gave it a harder feeling than T05 Hard, but it still wasn't "hard" like an actual hard rubber.

I know Duke said you are missing out on a lot of fun, but I'll be brutally honest...... You aren't.

The ONLY way I'd buy Dignics, is if it lasted longer than T05 and therefore could justify the higher price tag.

In terms of actual game play, you really aren't missing out on anything if you don't use it.

As for the Harimoto blade, it's been delayed.... again! Hopefully it'll arrive at some point next week.

It's due into Butterfly Europe tomorrow, and Tees Sport hope to have it next week!

Cool - As i said really liked T05H and will go for that on my FH next but probably would stick to T05 on BH as have in the past (was thinking Dignics for my BH - but seems a jump in price for not much difference).
The bigger issue is do I wait and work out whether the Harrimoto blade is the one to go for or a viscaria :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Finally got my Harimoto blade today. Put on Dignics 05 (FH) and Tenergy 80 (BH), and just finished my training an hour ago.

Some specifications first, blade weighs only 86g despite the larger head size (my Innerforce Layer ALC weighs 89g) and with the rubber on it weighs 183g (2 layers of Butterfly Free Chack II on blade and rubbers, one layer weighs roughly 1g).

Now the impression of the rubber, I'm comparing the entire paddle against my Innerforce Layer ALC with T05 (FH) and T80 (BH) since the construction of the blade is basically the same. Spin is definitely much easier to generate, this is observed through my short backspin serves since this way I can minimize push and maximize brush on the ball. What I observed is the ball bounces backwards with more speed after hitting the other side of the table. I also tested with a top side spin serve, with the same motion the ball ended up on the side of the table instead at the corner where I can consistently serve to with T05, and I had to add a bit more push to get it go to the corner. As for the loops, it felt like when I tried out T05 Hard after using T05 for quite a while, the trajectory is a bit higher because of the easiness to generate spin, so I ended up closing my paddle a bit to make it hit the same position as T05, but the adjustment is not as much as needed for T05 Hard. The change in speed of the ball isn't noticeable by naked eye (it might be different but with the force I'm using I can't say for sure it's faster or slower), but I liked how the ball goes flatter after hitting the table since it has more spin.

All in all, I like the rubber, and I'd get it over T05 any day even with the higher price. Reason being I used to play tacky rubber such as Hurricane 3 on my forehand, but tacky rubbers wears me out too fast, since I had to use a lot more force to make the ball go at the speed I wanted, that's why I switched to Tenergy rubbers in the first place. Though the bounciness of tenergy rubbers always bugged me a little, since I'm used to brushing the ball to generate spin and dwell time of tenergy rubbers makes it a bit tricky. With D05 I think I finally found a rubber that fits me, I like how it has the bounciness of tenergy rubbers and also increased the dwell time which makes brushing the ball a lot easier. Is it a game changer? I can't say it is for sure, I need more time with it to get a better feel, but I do like the characteristics it improves over tenergy. Also tbh I don't think the price is that high, if you don't like it because of the price, you are missing out a lot of fun.

Thank you for the valuable information and perspective.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018

Thank you. Your personal insights are helpful

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Was it on both sides of the bat you tried? Wondered if you thought it was more FH or BH suited for you? I tried a Viscaria with T05H on the FH and it was really nice so am thinking of getting that.

Btw - whens your Harimoto blade arriving?

read the first line bro

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
[...] but I'll be brutally honest...... You aren't.[...]

As I said before, table tennis equipment reviews are purely subjective since it is all about feel. So yeah, you are being honest, but so am I. I’m saying anyone not giving it a try just because someone said “nope, no difference whatsoever compared to *BLANK*" or "oh, but the price is so high it's not worth it” is missing out. Just because someone can’t feel the difference doesn’t means others can’t. Also I’m confident in the sensitivities of my hands, have been practicing piano for over 26 years, so I’m saying I can feel the difference.

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
As I said before, table tennis equipment reviews are purely subjective since it is all about feel. So yeah, you are being honest, but so am I. I’m saying anyone not giving it a try just because someone said “nope, no difference what so ever compared to *BLANK*” is missing out. Just because someone can’t feel the difference doesn’t means others can’t. Also I’m confident in the sensitivities of my hands, have been practicing piano for over 26 years, so I’m saying I can feel the difference.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

Hey Duke,

I'm not disputing you feel a difference - Be that genuine or a mental illusion of new equipment.

Generally, people who spend a lot of money on things will try and justify their purchase once they've got it - I've been there and done that, and will no doubt continue to do so in the future - It's not always intentional, most of the time it's subconscious.

Obviously if people have the money, go and try Dignics - If nothing else, just so they can make their own opinion.

I just thought that your comment made it seem like Dignics was vastly different to Tenergy, and quite clearly superior in many ways.

Something, that I, in my own opinion and experience, don't agree with (which is fine, like you said, it's just our own opinion).

Also, and this has some bearing on the opinion..... What level do you play at?

I don't think I've seen any video in the past, but I haven't exactly been looking!

Either way, I wasn't trying to take away from your post, I was just adding my own 2 cent......

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Hey Duke,

I'm not disputing you feel a difference - Be that genuine or a mental illusion of new equipment.

Generally, people who spend a lot of money on things will try and justify their purchase once they've got it - I've been there and done that, and will no doubt continue to do so in the future - It's not always intentional, most of the time it's subconscious.

Obviously if people have the money, go and try Dignics - If nothing else, just so they can make their own opinion.

I just thought that your comment made it seem like Dignics was vastly different to Tenergy, and quite clearly superior in many ways.

Something, that I, in my own opinion and experience, don't agree with (which is fine, like you said, it's just our own opinion).

Also, and this has some bearing on the opinion..... What level do you play at?

I don't think I've seen any video in the past, but I haven't exactly been looking!

Either way, I wasn't trying to take away from your post, I was just adding my own 2 cent......

Well, I don't think I need to justify my purchase because of the price, I switch my rubbers monthly (at least for my FH), and $105 tbh just isn't that much for me to worry about, if it were say over $150, then I might start questioning if it's worth the price, but still it's not such a big price tag I can't afford monthly.

As for videos, if you are asking if I've uploaded videos for table tennis, then the answer is no, don't like taking videos or photos of myself, unless I'm in a racing suit on the track. :D And I'm not sure the level I'm playing at, somewhere between 1800 to 2000 points I think, I never registered with USATT but I'm considering doing that, have been playing a few local tournaments and had a few wins and loses against players of the same ratings so that's how I get the reference.

This user has no status.
Then could you explain how it isn’t out of nowhere? I’d love to hear why.

Because she is talking about factors that are connected and relevant to properties she is describing. Ball speed off the face makes perfect sense in context. Maybe it's not what she meant? Maybe it is, I couldn't be as confident as you in your interpretation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Because she is talking about factors that are connected and relevant to properties she is describing. Ball speed off the face makes perfect sense in context. Maybe it's not what she meant? Maybe it is, I couldn't be as confident as you in your interpretation.

Well, I'm confident because I consider English as a second language even though I started speaking it when I was one and basically learnt Mandarin at the same time. And I've been speaking with people who learnt English as a second language my whole life, so I know sometimes one might think in a different language as they're speaking/writing which make things sounds weird, but if you think a bit more you'll get the true meaning. I'm not saying I'm 100% correct, I'm just saying that instead of saying her comment is contradicting the listed stats by Butterfly, what she really was trying to say is the dwell time is longer, which makes more sense. Also "longer time" in most cases means "slower", maybe that's just how she was thinking in her mother tongue but came out wrong in English.