New Butterfly rubber "Dignics 05" 2019

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
it seems most posters are using the D05 on the BH. If it is so great why not FH for more people?

says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
For me the rubbers difference between different gears is too high. At low gear top spins like slow TS as an answer to chops, the throw is quite high and speed is slow. If you engage more into the sponge and play faster and harder TS, the throw gets lower.
For me this suits my backhand in a better way, since I play more low gears like first TS, counters, blocks, etc with it.
in addition to that, Tenergy 05 seems much faster in high gear TS to me

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
For me the rubbers difference between different gears is too high. At low gear top spins like slow TS as an answer to chops, the throw is quite high and speed is slow. If you engage more into the sponge and play faster and harder TS, the throw gets lower.
For me this suits my backhand in a better way, since I play more low gears like first TS, counters, blocks, etc with it.
in addition to that, Tenergy 05 seems much faster in high gear TS to me

Totally agree with this. The way D05 flattens out a bit on harder shots, while being very spinny in slower gears, suits my BH really well.

Somewhat related - I was surprised to see in the WTTC player's setup picture thread that Harimoto used D05 on FH and T05 on BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
There's a pro version of T05, 80 and 64 so I believe it's very plausible the pros have a pro version of Dignics as well.

It totally is plausible! And yet...no direct evidence that it's actually happening.

As an aside - what's the difference between the pro and commercial versions of T05, in your experience?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I don't have enough experience from using T05 so I can't compare directly, I own a sheet of T05 pro but not the regular T05. T05 pro is supposed to offer better grip and tension, harder sponge. Perhaps the T05 pro was rebranded to T05 hard commercially? Just my hypothesis.

It totally is plausible! And yet...no direct evidence that it's actually happening.

As an aside - what's the difference between the pro and commercial versions of T05, in your experience?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't have enough experience from using T05 so I can't compare directly, I own a sheet of T05 pro but not the regular T05. T05 pro is supposed to offer better grip and tension, harder sponge. Perhaps the T05 pro was rebranded to T05 hard commercially? Just my hypothesis.

I've been dragged in the past for overreaching about what the Pros use, and what use that info is, so some of this is just me being a bit devil's advocate about it all. I think there has been a (probable) trend in the past of the pros getting custom versions of rubbers (mainly sponge hardness, or best-quality stuff from the middle of a batch, and so on), so it's probable that this will be the case with Dignics as well (I'd prefer a Dignics Hard on the FH, for example, so I wonder if that's available to the Pros because that's a nice thing to wonder about). But it would be nice to have some direct evidence over and above the guesswork.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
If you like hybrid/tacky rubbers you could wait for Dignics09, supposed to be semi tacky. Release in July.

I've been dragged in the past for overreaching about what the Pros use, and what use that info is, so some of this is just me being a bit devil's advocate about it all. I think there has been a (probable) trend in the past of the pros getting custom versions of rubbers (mainly sponge hardness, or best-quality stuff from the middle of a batch, and so on), so it's probable that this will be the case with Dignics as well (I'd prefer a Dignics Hard on the FH, for example, so I wonder if that's available to the Pros because that's a nice thing to wonder about). But it would be nice to have some direct evidence over and above the guesswork.

Just switched to D05 from MXP on Acoustic Carbon Inner for my BH. I loved the feel and crisp feeling of MXP, but playing it for a couple of months, it definitely started giving out after first 6 weeks or so when the factory booster wore off. D05 plays about the same, but just slight adjustment (my ball keep going into the net). It feels slower at weaker stroke, but a lot more power when you do a stronger stroke. I'm definitely loving it. Super easy lifting heavy back spins and generating top spins.

Reactions: Tuppe
This user has no status.
If you have flagship product released 10 years ago and still being king of the hill (at least from marketing and price/volume perspective) you have two choices: keep the cash cow running "forever" which means one day someone comes and will kick you down or release something newer even more expensive (and give your followers ultimate choice: either they will be feeding your cash cow like they did for past 10 years or they will pay even more;)

I believe Butterfly is doing the right thing from marketing and business perspective and I do expect price of Tenergy not going down (or just marginally) while price of new products being slightly higher (and wouldn't be surprised if initial "promotion" price is equal to Tenergy and then increased as much as 25-50% - not double how someone suggests but even 25% is hard to imagine from today's perspective and yet it can work for them).

It is quite interesting to follow this kind of post because it seems you forgot the main information. Table Tennis is in a constant evolution since the beginning and you are only talking about the rubber when the most important is the complete game. I don't want to remind the history but since we stopped to glue we had a lot of improvement in blades, rubbers but the most important thing was the ball, changing from 38 to 40mm first, then from celluloid to plastic. the response of a rubber in front of those balls is highly different and the Tenergy family has been developped to play with a 40mm celluloid ball. Dignics is the first rubber developped by Butterfly to be used with a 40mm plastic ball which is significantly different as the goal when the T05 has been created. I'm playing with T64fx 2.1 and I took a Dignics05 2.1 to test and see if it can improve my game. Anyway if we have so much blades and rubbers maybe it's because we are just human and our feeling is too different as the way we are playing.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Nah, blade technologies have remained largely the same for the past 2 decades, by comparing the production process from early 2000 to 2018.

Rubber technologies haven't seen much improvement for the past decade, either. Even Butterfly admits they've approached the limits in terms of pips configuration and rubber formula.

This user has no status.
This doesn't make sense. To hit the ball 22% higher would require 22% more energy. The potential energy is P.E.=mgh
where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height.

It is sad when TT companies take advantage of the ignorance of their customers.
There is little truth in advertising.
Sorry but I totally disagree. Within your point of view ( and supposing your right ;-) ) all the rubbers would have the same results. You compare a solid component to an elastic component ( and in our case a multi modular one). The question here is how the rubber gives back the energy it has absorbed and it can´t be measured by a simple formula.

This user has no status.
Nah, blade technologies have remained largely the same for the past 2 decades, by comparing the production process from early 2000 to 2018.

Rubber technologies haven't seen much improvement for the past decade, either. Even Butterfly admits they've approached the limits in terms of pips configuration and rubber formula.
Thanks to confirm ;-) Dignics is the significant innovation referring to the past decade , then improvements and production process are not the same...