Improve my FH topspin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I'm not a coach, but I think there's enough spin for your level. Actually your opening loop was the shot I liked the most. Your FH technique is overall pretty decent, but you gotta focus on landing them on the table. Sometimes you go for a big swing and lose control. Obviously there are problems like yogi_bear pointed but you'll sort them out if you train with a coach.

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hi guys i made another match training video.. do you think i improved my game? Ty

https://youtu.be/_ADd7z1sAEM

Hey @Ilcane1 - I'm not sure which one you are from the video (I hadn't seen your previous videos which now seem to have been removed).

But both players are relying mostly on their arm to make the swing - Not the body and legs.

The power and spin comes from the knee bend, the torso twist and the weight transfer from the legs to the body.

The arm is really just an extension of that.

I think it'll also help you to use plastic balls (unless you've actually got orange plastic balls, but they are so very new and rare these days, it's doubtful).

Spinning the older celluloid balls was easier - So it'll encourage you to use more arm initially as you see the spin being generated.

The plastic balls will force you to use your body, and to twist with the shot.

Lastly - I think it's great you've got a table in a warehouse and making the most of what is around you!

Keep up the good work ;)

This user has no status.
I'm the one with the yellow tshirt!!
I'm playing for a year now, amateur team.
Can you suggest some exercises for footwork? I can do training with a coach only 15min during the training session and it's not enough, but i have a robot and i can do some exercises after work.
i learned to topspin vs backspin and now i need to do the Next step. Ty

NDH

says Spin to win!
I would buy yourself some plastic balls for match practice. The orange ones are likely the old celluloid balls.

As for footwork drills, there are a number good ones to look at online - But the best thing to do in my opinion is to try and replicate it in training and matches.

As for your question, what do you mean by “which is my level now?”

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I still think, if you want feedback about your forehand you should do just forehand loop against block so it will be easier for people here to help you :)

Reactions: NextLevel

NDH

says Spin to win!
My level means if i played in a regular league.. how much training i need..

In the UK you can play in a league at any ability level.

Right now, you’d be in the bottom league most likely, but that’s to be expected after only a year of playing.

The more you can play, the better you’ll get.

The top spin video from Yogi is a good place to start.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
Thank you for your support. Maybe my question was wrong, (and sorry also for my english) i meant: in relation of the time i spent and of the level of the training what is your impression about my gameplay level?
Another question: during the league match i see that i'm improoving a lot, but i lose often, many set at 8/9/points.. what can i do to win some matches? (To be more efficient)

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
https://youtu.be/GdGSH2B7fvw
At 22.50 there is the best "rally" (if i can call it in this way :) )
The balls we are playing with are hueison 3 stars. I bought them with the robot.
Btw, for you, which is my level now?

Hey man. This is what I think:
Here, I suggest to watch this masterclass, there's some great wisdom here (which btw applies to any field, not just TT):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9gklftSy1Y

Your vid looks like a person who's trying to do what he sees on youtube (the full, correct, powerful shots of pros).

Forget about pro shots and proper technique, as well as the advice on 'proper technique', 'torso rotation', 'wrist' etc. It's premature.
Any motion meant to add power and spin necessarily makes timing more difficult. Those are things you add after you have very good timing or at least the understanding of the importance of timing, so that it comes first and the rest of the technique comes second.

It's impossible to get good without the idea of timing that she describes.

Practicing with simplified technique to improve timing is the only thing that ultimately allows more complex technique to be practical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Thank you for your support. Maybe my question was wrong, (and sorry also for my english) i meant: in relation of the time i spent and of the level of the training what is your impression about my gameplay level?
Another question: during the league match i see that i'm improoving a lot, but i lose often, many set at 8/9/points.. what can i do to win some matches? (To be more efficient)

your level ? advanced beginner
what can you do to win some matches ? train better, with coaches. Watch videos on Youtube. Do multiball, shadow training etc... Also be patient, unless you train 10hours + per week with coaches and/or more advanced players, its gonna take time to improve anyway. Table tennis is a very difficult game. You don't need to be good, you need to improve all your weaknesses. Your overall game level is as good as your biggest weak level.

Say your FH drive is 60 your BH drive is 40, your serve is 50, your receive is 45 , your short FH is 30 etc....
well your level is only 30. because a good player will always target your main weakness.

Even if you improve your BH to 50 you level is still 30.

Well i'm exaggerating a bit but you get a gist of the argument

NDH

says Spin to win!

OK, I understand what you are saying.

It's very hard to compare playing levels of people you see online.

If a junior (or adult), had been playing for a year, but been having regular coaching - They would be at a higher level.

If someone was playing for a year with no coaching, no looking on youtube etc, they would probably be at a lower standard.

As long as you have the passion to learn, adapt, and constantly improve - I wouldn't worry about how good you are now, because it's how good you can become that is important.

Regarding your league matches, do you do anything differently when you get to 8/9 in a game?

I often see less experienced players get a bit tight, and don't play their normal game (usually, they are attacking, but they don't go for their shots when the match is close).

They also try and do their spinniest serves (if they have them), which are much harder to play a 3rd ball against if it comes back.

I tend to play a dead spin serve when it's close, and rely on my 3rd ball attack.

PS - Use plastic balls all the time - Even in the videos.

There is no point in practicing with orange celluloid balls if you won't be using them in matches - You'll think you can do shots you can't, and they play very differently.

Get rid of the celluloid balls and get loads of plastic ones!

Last edited: