Improve my FH topspin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I also wonder how much it helps anyone. I remember that you, or was it someone else that said that it is hard to explain technique and strokes in text and i agree with that. It is proably hard to understand it aswell in text, like you said, it make sense if you already understand it.

People here proably need to read the tips they are given but also try to notice it in videos of good players and videos by coaches that show how to do all the different strokes. Maybe then it would be easier to understand what is said in the text. And the easiest and proably fastest way to become better is to join a club where a good coach can help you with the technique live. As a coach i find the easiest way to help students is to simple hold their hand and show them how to do the stroke. And that is difficult over the internet haha :)

When I used to have time (and Carl as well), we used to link to videos of players and coaches displaying and teaching the ideas that we tried to convey. Many of mine came from Ttedge since most of my formal understanding of TT comes from working with Brett Clarke.

But of course it isn't always fair to try to teach amateurs using pro videos. But Brett was trying to teach technique to amateurs but as a pro coach who wanted amateurs to learn the proper technique. Teaching someone in person, I used to try to teach the technique I thought was best but with compromises for level and age. Learning stuff as an adult is just different.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I coach seniors sometimes. I improve their technique being practical based on their limitations.

I think it is almost more fun to help adults. I feel that they listen better and are more appreciative. I think Kids is so used to attention and that people care about them so they do not listen so well and do not appreciate the help they get.

I also think kids not not have so good perspective because they have not experienced so much. In example, in our club we have a great training hall with like 20 table that is always there and nice red floor, and i think we coaches have pretty good knowledge and care alot. but i feel like the kids take it all for granted because they have not played in any other clubs and do not understand that some clubs do not have so many tables, and even need to put them up before practice and that some clubs do not have so good coaches and maybe not even organized practice. I think that if they realised that some clubs do not have coaches or organized practice they would fight more and listen alot more. I can be somewhat frustrated because i think they have a better starting position than i had when i was young, because we coaches are pretty good at what we do but they do not realise that because they have nothing to compare with.

But they are kids, so it is what it is and i can maybe not expect much more. But it is to bad that they do not take the possibilites that they are given. And sometimes it can be very difficult and soul draining to almost force people to listen and to get them to figth. Any suggestions to have to get the kids to listen and fight more? to understand that they have a pretty good starting point, and have because of that the possibility to become pretty good if they just chose to.

I proably went away a little from the subject here but this have been bothering me a bit, so it was nice to be able to write about it. But sorry if it have not so much to do with the subject.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Any suggestions to have to get the kids to listen and fight more?
Keep instruction short. More demonstration than talking. Get them playing games or competitive drills as soon as possible. Even beginners should compete to see who can have the longest rally, etc. The ones with a chance to be good will start paying more attention to you as they realize you can help them beat the other kids. For the rest just give them enough structure and attention to have fun.

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
To get kids to listen is a herculean task, but I think it's all about keeping it positive and fun. You don't want to be lecturing them.

Of course it must be fun and positive! Otherwise they proably will stop playing. But at the same time i think it should be somewhat serious so i do not fool them to think they are going to become better if we just do fun stuff like only playing games. I feel that they must be better a year later compared to the year before. But i think you are correct that we should try to do everything as positive and as fun as possible!

Keep instruction short. More demonstration than talking. Get them playing games or competitive drills as soon as possible. Even beginners should compete to see who can have the longest rally, etc. The ones with a chance to be good will start paying more attention to you as they realize you can help them beat the other kids. For the rest just give them enough structure and attention to have fun.

Yes, i have really notice that their attentions span is not very long haha. I think it its good to try to do a mix, talk some, show some and even hold their hand. Everyone learn different ways. yeah, i have noticed that they are alot more focused when we count and play games, so we do that alot. But i find it very important that they do the correct technique when we do longest rally games, otherwise it will almost hurt them since they learn the wrong stroke.

Thanks for the tips!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it looks pretty good. The most important is that the balls go over the net. So you must be doing something correct.

But i still think you could try to relax the arm more, so the arm will become more extended and by doing so i think you will get more swing and more use of the forearm. Now i think you have the elbow to close to the body so the arm is not so relaxed and you do not get a swing, but are more like pushing the ball forward.

I hope that you understand what you mean. I found it difficult to explain it in text. Maybe you can think that you want to throw the racket away as far as possible, then you will extend the arm and swing it away. Maybe you can think more of the mechanics like the club in a golfswing, or a discusthrow or maybe like the windshield wiper on the car. It do not go back and forth but swing more. Haha, strange examples but maybe you get my point more.

But then again you get the result that you want so maybe you do not need to change anything.

This user has no status.
I think it looks pretty good. The most important is that the balls go over the net. So you must be doing something correct.

But i still think you could try to relax the arm more, so the arm will become more extended and by doing so i think you will get more swing and more use of the forearm. Now i think you have the elbow to close to the body so the arm is not so relaxed and you do not get a swing, but are more like pushing the ball forward.

I hope that you understand what you mean. I found it difficult to explain it in text. Maybe you can think that you want to throw the racket away as far as possible, then you will extend the arm and swing it away. Maybe you can think more of the mechanics like the club in a golfswing, or a discusthrow or maybe like the windshield wiper on the car. It do not go back and forth but swing more. Haha, strange examples but maybe you get my point more.

But then again you get the result that you want so maybe you do not need to change anything.

Ty Lula. Could you suggest any exercise to improve the right swing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
And that's against backspin:
youtu.be/A_f9nhtKtBQ

P.s. by the way where are you located in Italy?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Ty Lula. Could you suggest any exercise to improve the right swing?

I agree with your fellow italian that you should look at videos so you have a somewhat mental picture how it should look like. Then try do some shadow training, maybe infront of a mirror so you see how it looks and then try to do some more balls.

This user has no status.
I agree with your fellow italian that you should look at videos so you have a somewhat mental picture how it should look like. Then try do some shadow training, maybe infront of a mirror so you see how it looks and then try to do some more balls.

I read many times about "shadow training" but i didn't find anything about that. Could you explain it to me please?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I read many times about "shadow training" but i didn't find anything about that. Could you explain it to me please?

You do the stroke in the air without the ball. So it will be easier to get the correct form with the ball later.