Play against long pips (long pips on FH of Penhold)

This user has no status.
Just had a few sets of games with a friend and he played penhold with long pips on FH. That was a disgusting rubber that dissolved all my attacks ( yea, dissolved not just blocked ) wonder how u guys counterplay long pips

Basically 3 scenarios happened
1. I serve no spin on his short FH , he “slided” the ball to my far FH corner. Even if I was able to ran all the way and return with sidespin, he pushed it to my far left BH corner and its over .

2. I served downspinnto deep to his BH, ball returned with slight top spin and kinda floating slowly on my side. I attacked with FH drive and ball returned had stronger and stronger downspin until I couldnt lift it

3. He served shortly on my both sides and the ball sank and kinda hard to tell the spin and I always struggled with returning it.

Hope u guys shared more about playing aginst LP.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Unusual playing style. I think it is better to play against penhold that play like this than shakehand. The penholder Will have a hard time to attack so you Do not need to be Afraid of anything. Maybe he can Do rpb But this is only on the backhand. Because of this you should be able to play very soft and safe because he almost can not attack the ball. You should try to play very soft since these players want to have speed and spin. He Will not get as much help then.

There are also different long pimples. But it sound like it is one with almost No grip which invert the spin. This is easier i think. You know that if you make backspin the return Will be No spin and topspin the ball Will have backspin. This makes you in charge! You know What Will happen. You Said he got to much spin, try playing on topspin then push and then counter or topspin again. You should also try to kill the ball after a push since then you know you Will get a Nospin ball.

I Do not see how you need to run st scenario 1. If you know the ball is coming to the forehand you have the advantage. Then you can move there a little before and Do something good with the ball. I also have a hard time Seeing how he could easy play it back to your backhand. Try playing the ball more to his forehand and he Will harder to play it straight i think. I also think you need to work on your placement if he easily can choose where to block the ball.

The same with his serves. If you know the ball Will be short you can be ready for this and i have a hard time Seeing that he can get so much spin on the ball with the long pimples that it can be hard to return But Maybe Im wrong.

I think against a player like this you Will beat if you play more against them so you get used to the long pimples and if you become a better player i think you Will also beat this kind of a player. I think this kind of a player Will have a hard time against better players since he she have trouble attacking, you Do not need to be afraid of almost anything and you can almost choose What kind of balls you Will get. This playing style would be more sucessfull with shakehand i think. But Maybe the Guy is very good with rpb i Do not know.

Good luck!

Reactions: I have 2 balls
This user has no status.
Yes my footwork is poor so I usually get myself into third ball attack position at the bh side. I think this is a bad habbit that made me do the running in case1. But there was also his wrist. He was quite skillful in penhold and could alter the speed and direction of ball at the very last min so I was afraid to move im advance. I have played against other long pips shakehand players and those games were rather “normal” as I just need to avoid placing the ball to their bh side. But this penhold opponent’s fh covered almost the whole table and hardly used bh inverted rubber so I was confused of ball placement.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes my footwork is poor so I usually get myself into third ball attack position at the bh side. I think this is a bad habbit that made me do the running in case1. But there was also his wrist. He was quite skillful in penhold and could alter the speed and direction of ball at the very last min so I was afraid to move im advance. I have played against other long pips shakehand players and those games were rather “normal” as I just need to avoid placing the ball to their bh side. But this penhold opponent’s fh covered almost the whole table and hardly used bh inverted rubber so I was confused of ball placement.

Okay. I think you will beat him if you practice more against him. Against long pimples with almost no grip you are in charge. Try looking at him and not the ball to be able to easier know where the ball is going. I think it is also often patterns that players do, like you recognized in scenario 1. If you can find those patterns, it would proably be easier to keep up. And maybe you need to work on your backhand much more if your footwork is slow.