Switching to old generation rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 3 reviews
Just wondering if it's only me who finds 5Q and Acuda Blue P2 far more reliable than the Evolution series, new Aurus Prime and Select and Rasanters. It's amazing the consistency old-generation rubbers can produce over today's rubbers. I started playing TT a lot later than most players, so my observations are limited in their scope. In the newer rubbers, I find Mantra M the most consistent.
I find it far easier to predict the ball trajectory with 5Q, P2 in comparison to say EL-S or R47. I feel the newer rubbers aren't as consistent as the old ones though they can produce awesome shots loaded with spin and speed.
Anybody who feels the same way?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Just wondering if it's only me who finds 5Q and Acuda Blue P2 far more reliable than the Evolution series, new Aurus Prime and Select and Rasanters.

In the race to compete with tenergy on one side and offer a broad variety of rubbers to replace individual speed-glueing on the other, in my opinion too many rubbers have been produced. Players were hungry, and kept hungry for minor adjustments.

So these rubber generations aren´t worlds apart, and you might well find your favourite rubber among an older generation. I wouldn´t say the older ones are more consistent or reliable, but if you like them better, no reason to try something else.

Just wondering if it's only me who finds 5Q and Acuda Blue P2 far more reliable than the Evolution series, new Aurus Prime and Select and Rasanters. It's amazing the consistency old-generation rubbers can produce over today's rubbers. I started playing TT a lot later than most players, so my observations are limited in their scope. In the newer rubbers, I find Mantra M the most consistent.
I find it far easier to predict the ball trajectory with 5Q, P2 in comparison to say EL-S or R47. I feel the newer rubbers aren't as consistent as the old ones though they can produce awesome shots loaded with spin and speed.
Anybody who feels the same way?

Well, maybe it depends more on personal style and preferences.
And maybe it depends on the blade-rubber synergy too.
I like very much the Hinoki composite blades, though I think Triber Z has a little bit lower throw.
And it seems to me that the rubbers you like more /5Q, P2 and Mantra M/ are softer and with lower throw than the ones you dislike - EL-S and R47.

Reactions: Ravil
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 3 reviews
In the race to compete with tenergy on one side and offer a broad variety of rubbers to replace individual speed-glueing on the other, in my opinion too many rubbers have been produced. Players were hungry, and kept hungry for minor adjustments.

So these rubber generations aren´t worlds apart, and you might well find your favourite rubber among an older generation. I wouldn´t say the older ones are more consistent or reliable, but if you like them better, no reason to try something else.

Yes, for now the search is over.

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Although I haven't used older gen rubbers in a while, but I do see a point since some of my friends have opted for the older generations rubbers like Donic Coppa Gold, Donic Sonex JP Gold and they are getting good results with them too. Not to mention that these rubbers are relatively cheaper to own and replace compared to the latest ones, so essentially a win-win combination. Also as pointed out above, it is a matter of personal preference and what your combination of rubbers and blade synergies with.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I think for most mediocre club players trying to improve, Vega Pro, Rakza 7, Barcacuda rubbers are a better choice than newer generation rubbers.

Ahah, I'll take the "mediocre" description! To be fair I am thinking of G-1 as my next replacement, for the reasons NextLevel mentioned. Not sure anymore if that's a step forward or backward in time.
Shout out for Aurus too, which can be beastly in the right hands, and I wish I could try Genius which I have seen compared to G-1 somewhere.

But how did Tenergy stay out of this conversation, and how is that for an old rubber?

Reactions: Suga D