Which long pimples for modern defence?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Guys, I need some help.
In April I changed to Grass d.TecS 1.2mm from Curl P1r 1.0mm - my results with both have been mixed, although I would say perhaps marginally better with the TSP, but they've been good with both.

So, which would your recommend? P1r or dtecs?
NB I play grass DTecs on a stiga defensive nct at the moment- I played with the p1r on a matsu****a pro.
Recommendations?
Feel free to use this thread for a general discussion on long pimples too :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
What about your feelings? :) I am playing with Curl P1-r and it is really good LP (I am using it with Weixing blade). For chopper and modern defender. Not good for someone close to table. And it is not good for attacking. I think this is why Hyuk changed from P1-r to DTecs. But maybe not :) Can you please write how do you feel DTecs? I never tried it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Dtecs is fast, so play it on a really slow blade. It is better for attacking and blocking than p1r but is less solid when defending. Also I find it sucks at touch and can be quite easy to read the spin on the ball. I'm thinking of changing to the p1r but I'm still not sure. I think joo went to DTecs because it is better at attacking and he didn't need to worry about how solid in defence it was- the mans a brick wall :)

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I don't play with pips, but I sure encountered many players using them throughout the years. Some were modified ones, and some were the genuine article. Of some of you guys remember a thread about Vietcong OX, well that's a good example of a modified long pip. It is illegal, and I've played against that too.

So far, I find D-Tecs are the most destructive of the lot. It allows the player to be on the offensive when you least expected. No doubt it requires a slow blade to domesticate it, but if you are a player with an excellent technique, any medium to medium fast blade will work well for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I am ok with sticking with the dtecs but am weighing up my options should i decide to change. i feel the p1r would be th best replacement. i find with the dtecs that if i play a player that knows how to ply long pimples eg easily loops my pushes, does the p1r generate more "own spin" ie is it more grippy? i dont remember having the same problem with the p1r and i think my backhand attack would be good enough to hit no spin loops with p1r s a often hit them off the end with dtecs, attack or chop. thoughts?
ive never come across modified lps before, although there is a guy at my club who puts them in the sun to make them frictionles..... they seem easier to play when frictionless! is this right?

Mar 2011
What you implying is that P1r is slower compared to Dtecs, and I have to say that you're spot on mate. The grippy part I am not so sure. I think most long pips players like to graze the balls to induced movement on the ball in mid air, and P1r is excellent with that. Maybe because it has softer pips which allows the pips to bend and flex the instant the ball hits it. Also, since they're softer, it is easier to control. If you find Dtecs are too wild, P1r is an option. Another is the Bomb Talent Long Pips and Palio Power Dragon Biotech.

With regard the modified pips, yes you're right about them being frictionless. Since I play with heavy top spins most of the time, I find that the ball that comes back to me has a massive under spin. The guy just have to block my shots over the table. Some of the times, the ball would just loop high over the net after blocking my top spin, and bounces back to his side of the table! Ridiculous! :)

This user has no status.
With regard the modified pips, yes you're right about them being frictionless. Since I play with heavy top spins most of the time, I find that the ball that comes back to me has a massive under spin. The guy just have to block my shots over the table. Some of the times, the ball would just loop high over the net after blocking my top spin, and bounces back to his side of the table! Ridiculous! :)

Do you have any video where this happened.... it would be nice to wacht it...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Ah when I play long pimples my loop turns into a more female style of dealing with a chopper- placement and spin rather than power and of course smart play. It might be helpful to have more control as my bh push does fly long often & DTecs isn't too good at short play. Then again it may be that I'm still plying my trade as I'm only 15 and have only been chopping for only 2 years! I used to play ox but I hate it so now I need sponge. Anyone know what nittaku screw is like? I'm not thinking of it, just would be interested to know about it. What rubber do we think for a foregand then? ATM I use hurricane 3 and I think it's ok. What are your thoughts?

This user has no status.
Well , these long pips are not helping table tennis as a sport, they can also be treated to be frictionless (or become so after a long usage).
I am convinced that this material should be banned by ittf because it doesn't bring anything useful or beautiful to our sport, just strangely playing users and frustrated opponents who play with non reversing effect rubbers.

Just have a look at the sets posted by azlan, i can not imagin the pimple player or the opponent or the spectators finding this an improvement over normal rubbers. There are really a lot of utterly STUPID looking points being made here (by both players and due to the stupid weird effect of the pimples) !
Long pimples : rubbish for table tennis !

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thanks for the video Azlan.. I can tell that after the he blocks the loops the ball comes back with heavy backspin.. but I was actually expecting to see the ball bouncing back to his table after he blocks the loop and it bounces on the opponent side... I guess it did not happen because the Malaysian´s loops must be faster than yours since you mainly focus on loading the ball with heavy topspin the ball must come back to you with way more spin than Malaysian guy was receiving the ball back and I am assuming that ball bounces back on your side closer to the net allowing the ball to bounce back to his side.....
I hope it made sense and correct me if I am wrong...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Phillyphong- pips were around way before inverted, and most top players do not lose the "silly points" that you are moaning about. Personally I find matches between joo se hyuk and any top ten player (except Ma Lin and zhang jike) sometimes they are even better than other matches between top ten players! I believe of you wish to complain about pips, there is already a thread related to that subject.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Well , these long pips are not helping table tennis as a sport, they can also be treated to be frictionless (or become so after a long usage).
I am convinced that this material should be banned by ittf because it doesn't bring anything useful or beautiful to our sport, just strangely playing users and frustrated opponents who play with non reversing effect rubbers.

Just have a look at the sets posted by azlan, i can not imagin the pimple player or the opponent or the spectators finding this an improvement over normal rubbers. There are really a lot of utterly STUPID looking points being made here (by both players and due to the stupid weird effect of the pimples) !
Long pimples : rubbish for table tennis !

Okey, let's not get grumpy here.. If you ain't able to play against LP's, then it's mostly your own fault. Not the LP's unless they're modified! Just learn to play against them, and stop complaining about them. I used to say the same, but then I learned to play better so I stopped complaining. If a LP-player beats me now, I know that I did my best and that he just plays smarter than me. No "stupid" mistakes, just a defensive strategy and a table tennis masterpiece! :)

Mar 2011
Thanks for the video Azlan.. I can tell that after the he blocks the loops the ball comes back with heavy backspin.. but I was actually expecting to see the ball bouncing back to his table after he blocks the loop and it bounces on the opponent side... I guess it did not happen because the Malaysian´s loops must be faster than yours since you mainly focus on loading the ball with heavy topspin the ball must come back to you with way more spin than Malaysian guy was receiving the ball back and I am assuming that ball bounces back on your side closer to the net allowing the ball to bounce back to his side.....
I hope it made sense and correct me if I am wrong...

You're spot on Yury, against this guy you really need to put pace in your topspin, speed and spin. I made a mistake once when I just loop the ball with heavy topspin. He happily blocked it, and the ball bounced back into his side of the table. I remembered staring in amazement.;)
The guy very rarely gets to the QF or SF of a medium level tourney, coz he will encounter better players. In the video, he was playing the Malaysian no1, Syakirin...and Syakirin was just messing about with him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
D.TecS is much more dangerous.. Long-term..

Ahh yess that Vietcong OX is a modified GioQiu rubber. As you said Sir Az, such heavy reliance on pips won't bring him nowhere too far.
I once feign-trade with the guy. He is very aggressive lols :p

I'm still leaning towards p1r, having read reviews. I played my coach today who use to be an England international, and my chops were almost always just going long. I thing the extra control of the tsp will help me with this problem.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
TSP CURL P1-R is best for its deceptive spin, one of my opponents used it to me and when he cut it and i was going to loop it i thought it has a backspin on it but it was a topspin so it made me an error and out the ball, so from there i was able to adjust and beat him.. :p
and from that time i asked him to lend it to me for a short time, and after that that beautiful long pips rubber convinced me to buy for my own.!! Its really deceptive!

This user has no status.
I have used both. It depends on what you want from your LP. If all you do is chop? P1r is very hard to beat. If you like to throw in a surprise attack once in awhile stick with the D.tecs. But understand this. If you attack too often with the D.tecs your opponent will get a better understanding of how they work. Meaning they act a lot like inverted. I could do a BH LP loop from 6-7 feet off the table no problem with the D.tecs. But after 2 or 3 times my opponent would counter loop right back at me. Kinda defeats the purpose of having LP.

IMO if you are going to chop with LP? Then chop. If you want to attack with your BH? Use SP. They are more consistent.

As far as Joo using D.tecs? I don't know. Maybe he got some money for using the stuff. But how often do you see him attack with his BH? I have only seen him do it when the ball is really high over the table. How often does that happen?

I really like my P1r. I cannot see me changing any time soon.

And frictionless/treated LP? I have very strong feelings about that stuff. Very bad for the sport. If you get caught at a sanctioned tourney? A fine should be imposed and maybe a suspension from tourney play.