2019's winner!!

LLH

This user has no status.

LLH

This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Last year, Japan's wonderkid Harimoto Tomokazu showed us great development of skills and effort by winning the Grand Finals.
There's no doubt that he spend a great year with tons of miracles.

And now, it's 2019.

Who do you think will be the winner of this year?
Who will be the main character of this year?

Me? I'm having great expectations to Hugo Calderano.

Reactions: GusShnaps
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Well, because he is the next "European" hope.

Reactions: Joepole
This user has no status.
hmmm.... you know it’s not looking great for european table tennis when you have to count on a South American haha. Personally, I would really like to see Pitchford in the top ten this year; I think he is Europe’s biggest hope right now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hi,

What I find most interesting about 2019 is that it is the year before 2020, which is the Summer Olympic year. The Olympics are every four (4) years, so in an athlete's life who is either conceivably competitive for a Olympic placement or competitive for an Olympic medal, and all that that means, this is it. It is like nothing else. Realistically, it may be once in a lifetime opportunity.

From the stands it will be fascinating to watch 2019 as the Olympic preparation year. Athletes will place no limits on what they need to do to realize the dream.

Thanks,

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

Wtf? This might be pretty insulting to many Brazileiros or rather Americans in general.
Could we please say
"NON-Asian" hope?

hmmm.... you know it’s not looking great for european table tennis when you have to count on a South American haha. Personally, I would really like to see Pitchford in the top ten this year; I think he is Europe’s biggest hope right now.

We shouldn't forget about Kjällberg and Moregardh too.

Especially youngsters tend to make big jumps developmentwise.
Kanak Jha also looks pretty promising and if he manages to promote to the first league the TTBL probably's gonna be the next big development step.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Can't help it. Check out the latest World Ranking. Europe is at an all-time low. Boll is the only European in the top 10, the weakest-ever showing from Europe since forever.

If Pitchford is to crack into the top 10, he must do it in 2019. This year is the point of no return. He can't miss this window. If he can't do it while in his prime, then there's a good chance he never will.

This user has no status.
Can't help it. Check out the latest World Ranking. Europe is at an all-time low. Boll is the only European in the top 10, the weakest-ever showing from Europe since forever.
what the hell? You realise Calderano is BRAZILIAN right?! BRAZILIAN... ie he cannot and will never be European. Unless he moves to Europe and gets a citizenship somewhere I suppose...?

If Pitchford is to crack into the top 10, he must do it in 2019. This year is the point of no return. He can't miss this window. If he can't do it while in his prime, then there's a good chance he never will.

I would read the ITTF ranking in a different way:

Europe have 48 players in top 100 - population 741 million
Asia have 44 players in top 100 - population 4 463 million
China have 10 players in top 100 - population 1 386 million

TT world is not top 10 only.

And because there are some strategy quatations like "China TT war" - a war can't be won with Generals only, capable soldiers are needed too.

Jan 2018
Wtf? This might be pretty insulting to many Brazileiros or rather Americans in general.
Could we please say
"NON-Asian" hope?
Ease up there. Don't jump the gun just yet. The scare quote is a pun on what Calderano said and a previous comment by a certain member.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...nd-Finals-2018&p=252653&viewfull=1#post252653
It is worth mentioning that Hugo is 100% made in Brazil. Asked about the training environment, he told Sina Sports: "I was trained in Brazil before I was 18 years old, I was in Sao Paulo from 14 to 18 years old, then went to Germany and now lives there." Hugo said that although there is no chance to train with German stars Boll and Ovtcharov, but in Oxenhausen I can work with the best local coaches. “It is basically European style there.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Ease up there. Don't jump the gun just yet. The scare quote is a pun on what Calderano said and a previous comment by a certain member.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...nd-Finals-2018&p=252653&viewfull=1#post252653

Well, then

"BRAZILian" hope or
American hope should rather be the used terms IMHO.

Yeah, maybe Garrison was wrong too, but nevertheless this time you've highlighted different parts of the quote.
In the original quote you've highlighted this part, which is far more accurate in my book, hence my reaction.
It is worth mentioning that Hugo is 100% made in Brazil. Asked about the training environment, he told Sina Sports: "I was trained in Brazil before I was 18 years old, I was in Sao Paulo from 14 to 18 years old, then went to Germany and now lives there."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hi,

I recently spoke with a native high level Brazilian player who told me there is one key top club in Brazil "where Calderano and Takahashi are from". Here it seems a very good example of an opportunity for the ITTF to invest in a center that has demonstrated great success in developing players outside of Asia. I'm very familiar with the Brazilian table tennis spirit; if more resources were made available, they would respond with corresponding success in adding to the elites of the sport.

The ITTF needs a structure to channel resources to these exceptional contributors to the sport's highest level, with a very targeted, very precise allocation to optimize the results.

Thanks,

Reactions: JST
Jan 2018
I would read the ITTF ranking in a different way:

Europe have 48 players in top 100 - population 741 million
Asia have 44 players in top 100 - population 4 463 million
China have 10 players in top 100 - population 1 386 million

TT world is not top 10 only.

And because there are some strategy quatations like "China TT war" - a war can't be won with Generals only, capable soldiers are needed too.
That is more or less what TTFrenzy wrote once. This is a good chance to make a response given the recent sentiment toward Chinese dominance.

In 2014, the Liberation Daily published an article giving a general outlook of table tennis around the world, from Europe to South America to Africa to Asia, and predicting the future trend.

The interesting thing is they got in touch with Hiroshi Kimura who works for Butterfly Europe to make a comment. On why Europe couldn't build up an overall momentum given the player base:

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2014-12-07/04177437894.shtml
  在欧洲,乒乓球的职业化发展,建立在广泛的民众参与基础上。德国乒乓职业化水平在欧洲最高,有60多万人在职业俱乐部打球。近三届世乒赛团体决赛,都在中德两队之间展开。

法国近年来也投入大量资金,青少年培养成果明显。木村宽在日本蝴蝶公司欧洲分公司工作,他告诉记者,“目前法国的青少年选手在欧洲比较拔尖,接下来依次是德国和罗马尼亚。罗马尼亚的女选手水平比较高。”此外,葡萄牙、俄罗斯、西班牙和意大利都在加大青训力度。

有些曾在乒乓球版图上找不到的小国,如巴西、埃及等,如今也悄悄崛起。今年南京青奥会,巴西选手卡尔德拉诺赢得铜牌,这是巴西历史上首枚世界大赛的乒乓球奖牌。埃及乒乓球运动员打遍非洲无敌手。

欧洲:打球为了养家

欧洲有这么多人打乒乓球,水平也不弱,为什么在国际赛场上并没有形成整体优势呢?

木村宽介绍,罗马尼亚的经济条件不算非常好,尽管不少选手很有天赋,但他们更多选择去德国打职业联赛,一个人打球就能养活一家人。“对他们来说,为俱乐部取得好成绩,是最大的目标。至于世界排名、去国际赛场争金夺银,并不重要。”同样,其他欧洲选手一旦打出名堂,就会有赞助商签约,一旦生活得到保障,很多人对竞技成绩也就没有更高的追求,不少人觉得能够拿到欧洲冠军就是最高荣誉。
In Europe, the professional development of table tennis is based on extensive public participation. The level of professional table tennis in Germany is the highest in Europe, with over 600,000 people playing in professional clubs. The 3 recent WTTC team finals were between the Chinese and German teams.

France has also invested a lot of money in recent years, and the results of youth training are obvious. Hiroshi Kimura works at the European branch of the Japanese company Butterfly. He told reporters that "the current youth players from France are more prominent in Europe, followed by Germany and Romania. The female players from Romania are relatively high in level." In addition, Portugal, Russia, Spain And Italy are increasing the effort in youth training.

Some small countries that have not been found on the table tennis map, such as Brazil and Egypt, are now quietly rising. At this year's Nanjing Youth Olympic Games, Brazil's Calderano won the bronze medal, which is the first table tennis medal in the history of Brazil. Egyptian table tennis players are invincible in Africa.

Europe: Playing in order to support the family

There are so many people playing table tennis in Europe, and the level is not weak. Why is there no overall advantage in the international arena?

Kimura said that the economic conditions in Romania are not very good. Although many players are very talented, they choose to go to Germany to play professional leagues. One person can play to support a family. "For them, achieving good results for the club is the biggest goal. The world rankings and winning gold or silver medals in international competitions are not as important." Similarly, once other European players make a name, there will be sponsors signing them. Once the livelihood is guaranteed, many people have no pursuit of higher competitive performance. For many of them, the highest honor is to win the European championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and langel
That is more or less what TTFrenzy wrote once. This is a good chance to make a response given the recent sentiment toward Chinese dominance.

In 2014, the Liberation Daily published an article giving a general outlook of table tennis around the world, from Europe to South America to Africa to Asia, and predicting the future trend.

The interesting thing is they got in touch with Hiroshi Kimura who works for Butterfly Europe to make a comment. On why Europe couldn't build up an overall momentum given the player base:

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2014-12-07/04177437894.shtml

In Europe, the professional development of table tennis is based on extensive public participation. The level of professional table tennis in Germany is the highest in Europe, with over 600,000 people playing in professional clubs. The 3 recent WTTC team finals were between the Chinese and German teams.

France has also invested a lot of money in recent years, and the results of youth training are obvious. Hiroshi Kimura works at the European branch of the Japanese company Butterfly. He told reporters that "the current youth players from France are more prominent in Europe, followed by Germany and Romania. The female players from Romania are relatively high in level." In addition, Portugal, Russia, Spain And Italy are increasing the effort in youth training.

Some small countries that have not been found on the table tennis map, such as Brazil and Egypt, are now quietly rising. At this year's Nanjing Youth Olympic Games, Brazil's Calderano won the bronze medal, which is the first table tennis medal in the history of Brazil. Egyptian table tennis players are invincible in Africa.

Europe: Playing in order to support the family

There are so many people playing table tennis in Europe, and the level is not weak. Why is there no overall advantage in the international arena?

Kimura said that the economic conditions in Romania are not very good. Although many players are very talented, they choose to go to Germany to play professional leagues. One person can play to support a family. "For them, achieving good results for the club is the biggest goal. The world rankings and winning gold or silver medals in international competitions are not as important." Similarly, once other European players make a name, there will be sponsors signing them. Once the livelihood is guaranteed, many people have no pursuit of higher competitive performance. For many of them, the highest honor is to win the European championship.

Ok, its a good article.

But here you put other questions - about who is lazy and why.
Can we answer it looking again on the figures?
And is it really about lazyness, or what?
Frankly speaking I'm not all with the ideas of the above article.

Why the greatest TT army in the world have less players than Europe in top 100 and 10 times less than Europe in top 1000?
There are so many vids how hard the chinese children are training and how young they begin, and just the opposite about the lazy europeans. So why Europe has an absolute dominance in top 1000 and top 100? And why China has dominance in top 10 only? There are a lot of pathetic speaking about "whats good for the sport" .
But whats good for the sport really?
To produce a handfull of winners?
Ok, I always solute the winners, never mind the nationality.
But for me "Dominance" is not that only. For me Dominance is the bigger army of winners - and Europe has a platoon of 388 in the army of the best 1000, China has a platoon of 48. Dominance?

Don't get me wrong, I just want to take a look on the greater picture, not focusing on the top-dot only.
At least we are a part of a greater TT comunity, and not just VIP TT Show spectators.