Timo Boll posts new photos of his rubbers and blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Timo Boll posts a gluing session on his social media of his blades.

Boll, "My 6 new blades work well. Straight 3:0 victories over Steffen Mengel and Daniel Habesohn. But a hell of work to prepare them all. We stay now again on position 2 in the league with my team Borussia Düsseldorf."

Interesting pictures

timo1.jpg

timo2.jpg

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017

Interesting indeed. From when have Tenergy series different sponge colors for red and black (or T05 and T05H to be specific)? Are there more updates to Bfly "what are our pros playing with" page around the corner? Also I would expect 2, maximum 3 set-ups, even for 1-week tournament (and Timo isn't playing any right now, is he?) Is this more like blade/rubber testing session?;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
This is interesting. Why do he need so many rackets? i can understand that he need a backup racket. I can also understand that he need to change rubbers regurlary but thought players often wanted to keep the same blade and just put on new rubbers. But do Timo change the whole racket?

Maybe JST is correct that he is testing stuff? but everything looks the same?

Reactions: Andyzhao123
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Also I would expect 2, maximum 3 set-ups, even for 1-week tournament (and Timo isn't playing any right now, is he?) Is this more like blade/rubber testing session?;)

I would believe a big chunk of his income is paid by his club Borussia Düsseldorf, so it's only fair enough that he takes the league matches seriously. Lastly a league is actually nothing but a long round robin team tournament with semifinals and finals in the playoffs.

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I would believe a big chunk of his income is paid by his club Borussia Düsseldorf, so it's only fair enough that he takes the league matches seriously. Lastly a league is actually nothing but a long round robin team tournament with semifinals and finals in the playoffs.

What I meant is: going for one or two days from home for a league round (2 singles in max) and then back, why more then 2 (or 3 if you are super cautious) set-ups? If he goes to Asia for 2 or more weeks full of TT and he prefers to glue it at home rather in the hall or at the hotel then maybe, but this?;) It's not about challenging Timo not being professional and not taking his commitments in Dortmund seriously, it's more like "does any human being need 6 bats at the same time???"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
I saw some of the comments on Timo Boll's Facebook status that say hes using Dignics 05 on one of the sides of his bat. Just look at the sponge colour difference from the top rubbers to the bottom, you can clearly see they are different rubbers. Dignics 05 on one side?

On the Butterfly site it states the Dignics is a darker red

dig.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
What I meant is: going for one or two days from home for a league round (2 singles in max) and then back, why more then 2 (or 3 if you are super cautious) set-ups? If he goes to Asia for 2 or more weeks full of TT and he prefers to glue it at home rather in the hall or at the hotel then maybe, but this?;) It's not about challenging Timo not being professional and not taking his commitments in Dortmund seriously, it's more like "does any human being need 6 bats at the same time???"

Hahaha. Good point.
:)

I saw some of the comments on Timo Boll's Facebook status that say hes using Dignics 05 on one of the sides of his bat. Just look at the sponge colour difference from the top rubbers to the bottom, you can clearly see they are different rubbers. Dignics 05 on one side?

On the Butterfly site it states the Dignics is a darker red

View attachment 18290

Nice catch. This could very well be the case, and also would make sense.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I also don't understand why he needs 6. I wonder how often he gets new blades and what he does with the old ones also. Some pros like Freitas used the same exact blade for over a decade so probably only had a spare one just incase.

No reasonable explanations comes to my mind either : ) Can't find a use case. Maybe if Timo was testing different rubber combinations ... or he has this six for tests and then chooses 2 or 3 finally ... you know on his level every TB ALC has a different "sublime feel flavor" probably.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
No reasonable explanations comes to my mind either : ) Can't find a use case. Maybe if Timo was testing different rubber combinations ... or he has this six for tests and then chooses 2 or 3 finally ...

Maybe he test them like you say. But why would he change blade? Maybe his current one is broken?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
New rubbers (Dignics - if it's true) most likely ... just speculating.

Yeah, But would he not want to test them on the blade he is currently using? But Maybe Do not have time to take the rubbers off the blade he is currenrly using if he play all the time.
But i still Do not think it explains why he need six rackets? Can he really feel so big different between them? I think they could give him the weigth he prefer.

Do they sale this rubber yet? Anyone Tried it?

Timo did some vlog last year. One of the point he mentioned was he will use rubbers with different weight according to his feel of the day. If he feels fine with the stokes, he will use a sheet of heavier rubber (a bit harder). If he doesn't feel good on the day and therefore need more control, he will use a a sheet of ligher rubber. The weight of the tenergy he use may varies from 94,95g to 104g (uncut with packaging)

So of the 6 blades, maybe some are softer set up, some are harder set up?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Okay, interesting point! But i thought that all rubbers of one kind like tenergy all weigth the same? Or Do they not? Can not imagine that he use thinner sponge on some rubbers and that is way they are lighter. And Do a heavier rubber need to be harder?

Reactions: Andyzhao123
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Okay, interesting point! But i thought that all rubbers of one kind like tenergy all weigth the same? Or Do they not? Can not imagine that he use thinner sponge on some rubbers and that is way they are lighter. And Do a heavier rubber need to be harder?

There was a discussion not too long ago. Someone was explaining how sponge thickness might differ a little for the same type, say 2.1, thus the weight. Not sure if this is the case of course. But it wouldn't be too hard to imagine that Timo gets say 2.10 to 2.12 range of sponges purposefully ... or am I way off here? : )

Last edited: