Timo Boll posts new photos of his rubbers and blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
For years I thought pros only carry two 2 identical setups and it would be crazy to have more than that...

...until I watched Ma Long's match in which he caught the table/damaged not ONE but TWO of his setups. After he damaged his 2nd, I thought to myself: sh*t, what is he gonna do now?... thinking he only had two. 30 seconds later someone from his coaching staff handed him his THIRD setup and he went onto winning that match.

So in addition to his training rackets, etc, Timo has "a backup of a backup"....

3 ok ... sure, but 6? ;) I'm willing to think just as Airoc wrote "Hard, medium, soft and one substitute for each?". Well it was almost proved with Timo's vlog.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
MONOGAMOUS MAN. TIMO BOLL IS NOW IN SEARCH FOR AN OPTIMAL WEIGHT.

Dear Friends,
You can see the whole answer from the photo present -- the 12 rubbers sitting on Timo Boll's workbench, just take a look at the inky marks written on the sponges bottom edge. You can clearly see -- All the rubbers in the bottom row (most likely Dignics05 Butterfly) do have some variations by weigh.

Why so many rubber combinations? Timo Boll is known to be a subtle individual keenly sensitive for any deviation of racket weigh and balance, even if slighest. He is now searching for the playing combo with optimal weight combination to suit him best. Yes.

For many years, his playing combo stayed the same 95 + 84* + 84*

Butterfly ALC (95) gramme
Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm (84) grammes in pack*

And now he is trying for Dignics05 on backhand, instead of T05.

Changing to a new combo with different weight may be a pain in arse for Timo Boll. He is well famous as a monogamous man. Yes.

Reactions: jawien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
MONOGAMOUS MAN. TIMO BOLL IS NOW IN SEARCH FOR AN OPTIMAL WEIGHT.

Dear Friends,
You can see the whole answer from the photo present -- the 12 rubbers sitting on Timo Boll's workbench, just take a look at the inky marks written on the sponges bottom edge. You can clearly see -- All the rubbers in the bottom row (most likely Dignics05 Butterfly) do have some variations by weigh.

Why so many rubber combinations? Timo Boll is known to be a subtle individual keenly sensitive for any deviation of racket weigh and balance, even if slighest. He is now searching for the playing combo with optimal weight combination to suit him best. Yes.

For many years, his playing combo stayed the same 95 + 84* + 84*

Butterfly ALC (95) gramme

And now he is trying for Dignics05 on backhand, instead of T05.

Changing to a new combo with different weight may be a pain in arse for Timo Boll. He is well famous as a monogamous man. Yes.

That will shut us down ... but if I see Timo with more than 2 (ok 3) rackets at a time ... oh man beaware!

;)

"Timo Boll is known to be a subtle individual keenly sensitive for any deviation of racket weigh and balance, even if slighest."
"He is well famous as a monogamous man. Yes."
ha ha :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Interesting indeed. From when have Tenergy series different sponge colors for red and black (or T05 and T05H to be specific)? Are there more updates to Bfly "what are our pros playing with" page around the corner? Also I would expect 2, maximum 3 set-ups, even for 1-week tournament (and Timo isn't playing any right now, is he?) Is this more like blade/rubber testing session?;)

I found this: https://en.butterfly.tt/sponsoring-spieler?p=3 it shows Timo Boll has Dignics indeed

Reactions: JST
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I also don't understand why he needs 6. I wonder how often he gets new blades and what he does with the old ones also. Some pros like Freitas used the same exact blade for over a decade so probably only had a spare one just incase.

Most pros glue together 6~ rackets and try them out, and from those pick 3~ favourites. There's a video somewhere where you can see Hugo Calderano switching between 4 rackets during practice, probably to check which one feels the best.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
In a german foren he wrote that he currently is playing a nonbuyable but already registered Tenergy version on his forehand. Most likely T09C

Interesting. I've just read it.
I always thought that only rubbers that are publicly available are allowed.
Would love to see that rubber. People have been assuming that it has a semi-tacky topsheet.

Last edited: