Chubby pros

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
All this thread shows is how society's body standards have changed over time. No professional TT players are chubby at all. They are all normal weight or lower. Our society currently has an image of what is fit and healthy that is inaccurate. We all have exercise anorexia, if you want to look at it that way.

Go back in time and look at pictures of beautiful women (not an unpleasant assignment). You will think they all need to lose some weight. And you will be wrong.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Sometimes I can't watch a match because of how ugly the players are. I'm not telling you what to think, don't tell me what to think.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
oh you showed them, alright! Appearance is largely outside of a person's responsibility. They can not do anything about it. Pointing someone's flaws is just shitty.

If that were true nobody would buy nice clothes, put on make up, do their hair, go to the extremes of plastic surgery etc, so I suppose that statement is not absolute, but rather it's ones responsibility if and to the extent that one decides to take responsibility over it.
But it doesn't really matter either way. What is your problem with me thinking some people are too ugly for me to have fun looking at? How is that your responsibility?

Table tennis is about skill in any case, looks don't matter

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
People must've missed this. Wade Townsend actually published an article on this topic on the ITTF website. The keyword here is "China Ratio."

https://www.ittf.com/2017/05/22/oddball-world-championship-weigh/
The top men’s teams were selected; China, Germany, Japan, Korea Republic, Portugal, Chinese Taipei and Austria. From the data, a virtual athlete was created sticking to the team’s height to weight ratio. We’ll be keeping things metric, so the hypothetical player is 1.75m tall; Ma Long’s height.

The lightest team is Japan. The Japanese avatar weighs in at a staggeringly light 61kg. They are approaching marathon runner territory. It should be noted that Tomokazu Harimoto was removed from the calculations because the kid hasn’t finished physically developing and his lack of muscle mass would skew the results. Removing Niwa, if you thought he was perhaps an outlier, brings them in line with Korea Republic at 64.75kg.

As we move up the ranks we see Austria is 68kg, and both Chinese Taipei and Portugal are 70kg. Then there is Germany, who get close to China, but still missing some mass. Our virtual German player checks in at 71.75kg.

So how heavy is Team China? China’s hypothetical athlete sits at 73.5kg. They are getting up their with the international tennis and soccer stars.

Could the other nations learn a thing or two from China and get a bit more bulk? For many of the Asian countries we are looking at more than a 10% difference in weight. They need less time on the table and more in the gym and food hall.

Look a little closer and you will see that there is more to these numbers than first meets the eye.

The golden ratio is 0.41 kilograms for every centimetre of height. How do we know it’s the perfect number? Because all the greats of the sport for twenty years have fit that build.

Werner Schlager, the last European World Champion, clocks in at exactly the same ratio as Team China. And how about Jan-Ove Waldner? Jorgen Persson? Wang Liqin? Ryu Seung-Min? Wang Hao? They all have the ‘China ratio’ or slightly above, never below.

Other than Germany, the other nations seemed to have slacked off on their physical training. Ryu Seung-Min was equal in build to a Chinese athlete when he won at the Athens Olympics, yet now the athletes are effectively 9kg away from standing on the podium.

So to be the best player in the world getting some extra mass could be your golden ticket. Most table tennis players better start chugging the protein shakes and hitting the gym if they want to be World Champion. Do you even lift?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I'm abruptly ending this irrelevant discussion with a random pic of an unlikely duo of He Zhuojia and Mima Ito at World Cadet Challenge back in 2012:
cache.php

And here they are joined by Minnie Soo receiveing gold medals for winning it for Team Asia:

cache.php

Now please back on topic, thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
After the historic win at the ATTC 2017, Miu Hirano actually said in an interview that she played her best when her weight was high.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
It's difficult for me to see watch players play
Can you explain how it's "Difficult" for you? Do you have a physiological response? Is it medical in nature?
Also, do you also find it difficult to watch ugly men play table tennis? Which men in your opinion are attractive enough to watch?

But it doesn't really matter either way. What is your problem with me thinking some people are too ugly for me to have fun looking at? How is that your responsibility?
It's everyone's responsibility to push back against behavior that negatively impacts society and others. You sir, are seeing that push back. And even if it wasn't "their responsibility" they are free to offer you whatever opinions they want. You are also entitled to your opinions, but there is nothing that prevents people voicing their disgust at your statements so long as they keep it civil and don't violate the rules of the forum.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Can you explain how it's "Difficult" for you? Do you have a physiological response? Is it medical in nature?
Also, do you also find it difficult to watch ugly men play table tennis? Which men in your opinion are attractive enough to watch?

It's everyone's responsibility to push back against behavior that negatively impacts society and others. You sir, are seeing that push back. And even if it wasn't "their responsibility" they are free to offer you whatever opinions they want. You are also entitled to your opinions, but there is nothing that prevents people voicing their disgust at your statements so long as they keep it civil and don't violate the rules of the forum.

Good questions and pertinent.

I mean it's difficult for me because I recoil with disgust when I see things that are beyond a certain threshold of what I consider to be ugly and prefer to look at something else. I wouldn't call it a medical reaction, but it's definitely rooted in biology. The source is thought to be aversion to illness and corruption, as the same brain centers activate when looking at something ugly as when smelling something that may be rotten. Part of it is, for example, that people react favorably to things which are perfectly symmetrical and unfavorably to things which are lopsided.

Another cause may be the biological imperative of procreation and optimization in the dissemination of one's genes, which is to say, choosing a mate such that the offspring are projected to have advantage to survival, such as social advantage (beauty, intellect) or strength/hardiness.

In human society, social advantages such as beauty are considered very important, more so than physical strength in some places. Where physical strength is preferred, people might find hardy, fat, solidly built women more attractive than the opposite, etc.

It's all very intersting.

I'm sorry you consider this 'bad behavior', though I do believe this is a problem with you and not with me :)
If you were one degree more a prude, then this whole idea of discussing the chubbiness of people would have been considered in bad taste for you.
Another degree of prude and you'd think that their pictures are a bit too revealing.
It's just a spectrum and I care little for where people are on it.

I suggest to do like Atlas and go back to TT

Last edited: