Chubby pros

This user has no status.
like Naomi Osaka, right. But I don't know what their training's like. Do they have multiball? Multiball wrecks anyone, however fit. Anyway, mate, what you're saying about the weight classes - I never argued the opposite. I aknowledge they're top athletes. In fact, forget Chen Meng, forget women, I don't know why everyone fixated on that. Probably because I posted a funny pic in the OP and people read something into that. Wang Hao and Ma Lin are some of the best TT players ever, both overweight. This whole thread is me asking how.

How? Because the sport is played in a small space where quickness is no predicated as much on muscularity and lack of body fat as in other sports, like badminton or tennis. There's a difference between Ma Lin's lightning quick footwork and his ability to run 100m fast for example.

This user has no status.
They quite clearly are, but that's besides the point. I'm interested in what kinda metabolism lets you burn through mad amounts of energy and still retain weight. I'm assuming they eat very healthy food because performance depends on it a lot and I imagine the bigger teams like CNT are very scientific about their diet choices.

They quite clearly aren't.

EDIT: Ive been going through your arguments. You are either blind or an idiot.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I wasn't contributing to the whole discussion. I was commenting specific part of your post which is pretty clear because I quote exact part of your post which I had a problem with.

My problem with your story is not only 2% of bodyfat however. He could be even 8%. There is no way to see someone who is so lean (8% is very lean for a non-physique competitor) and see him as fat. No way. Especially by professional trainers. 2% thing is just the icing on the cake.

That and only that is my point in this discussion - bullshit story that's just not adds up to whatever you were trying to prove by it.

To not sound like an asshole - I get that you were trying to say that some things can me misinterpreted a little. Someone might be sent on a diet without the need. there are different body types. someone might have some fat on belly but very lean arms etc. That happens. For example Vasilly Polovnikov (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahYjzfNBY6w) is quite lean but some people think he is not that lean as he has very weird build. However no professional trainer would call him fat. NONE. non-educated people (in terms of sports) might misjudge it but that's about it.

You got my point. I referenced the source of the bullshit story so some can check it and see whether I am lying. Most America football players are asked to sometimes lose weight because they are large. The problem was that back then no one could tell whether it was because they had big muscles and bones or because they had too much weight. There is are also racial differences in body type sometimes in play.

My point is that people like Vasily can easily be called *over weight*. It all depends on what he is trying to do. And if he is covered, someone might say he is carrying fat somewhere that is muscle if you actually checked. And he is a man - most healthy women need more or carry more body fat than that because of estrogen and other hormones. Someone pointed out earlier that in this era of steroids and surgery, people have distorted images of what lean healthy people including world class athletes look like.

And we really don't know anything about Vasily without a dexascan. We can make nice guesses, but we do not know. Misjudging it a bit depends on what you mean by a bit. Now look at the girls in the first photo. Are they fat? How do you know?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
The problem was that back then no one could tell whether it was because they had big muscles and bones or because they had too much weight. There is are also racial differences in body type sometimes in play.

I have to disagree with this part of your post. 70/80s are not ancient times. People were educated in strength sports quite well and understood body composition even if the measures might be off. People could tell if they had big muscles or not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
They quite clearly aren't.

EDIT: Ive been going through your arguments. You are either blind or an idiot.
I'd go through your arguments but there is none. Big mouth though. I'm starting to wonder if certain people being American changes their vocabulary in such a way that their chubby is rest of the world's morbidly obese.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I have to disagree with this part of your post. 70/80s are not ancient times. People were educated in strength sports quite well and understood body composition even if the measures might be off. People could tell if they had big muscles or not.

Okay. I will leave it at that. Muscles are not the only thing that go into lean body mass. And when you are extremely heavy like say, a sumo wrestler or an NFL lineman, your mass is so high that you can be lean by % and be considered fat. We can agree to disagree.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Okay. I will leave it at that. Muscles are not the only thing that go into lean body mass. And when you are extremely heavy like say, a sumo wrestler or an NFL lineman, your mass is so high that you can be lean by % and be considered fat. We can agree to disagree.

fair enough

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Let's add some cuteness to defuse the the argument

cache.php

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
I will say, the two most impressively fit and strong women I have met, are both chubby at first glance. Both did ultra marathon trail running - the really grueling stuff, going up and down mountains on rocky dirt tracks, for up to 48 hours, on routes longer than traditional marathons. Their size didn't seem to hold them back much.

Personally I'm very skinny, and I think in some ways I'd be healthier if I had a bit more weight. I feel I am more prone to injury/bruising, I get tired quicker, and have less energy. And of course I'm not very strong.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Is this some kind of sarcasm?
No. It's entirely consistent with Lightzy's ongoing obsession with how female players look. His failure to recognise the inappropriateness of his comments is a sign of undeveloped social awareness. While experiencing attraction is completely normal, the constant need to talk about it is immature and plainly embarrassing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
The problem was that back then no one could tell whether it was because they had big muscles and bones or because they had too much weight. There is are also racial differences in body type sometimes in play.
Agreed. In 1981, I was running marathons, 60+ mile weeks, 6' 2" (187cm) and 11st 6lb (73kg). And I knew exactly what my percentage of body fat was. There were back then, and are now, a number of methods for calculating bmi, and I was never below 11% body fat. I received lots and lots of comments about being underweight, but the simple reality is that my body type is clearly ectomorph. NextLevel's claim of 2% body fat on an NFL player is ludicrous, even if he's referencing someone else's story. And no, no-one has ever looked at a footballer with <10% body fat and thought they were fat.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Football players have a lot of muscle, which means they can have many pounds of fat and it's still quite a low percentage. But not 2%. Ten seconds of googling turned up data both across sports and from the NFL scouting combine, where players leaving college are examined and tested, for those who don't know.

The sprinting position groups, receivers and defensive backs, averaged just under 10% body fat. So logically some of them must have been well under, maybe 7 or 8%, unless the range was extremely tight.

Alas, TT is not included as a sport. Probably the measurements have been done by national teams, but never shared, so there is no public data.

https://in-thinair.com/2016/05/03/the-nfl-body-part-2-body-fat-percentage/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Football players have a lot of muscle, which means they can have many pounds of fat and it's still quite a low percentage. But not 2%. Ten seconds of googling turned up data both across sports and from the NFL scouting combine, where players leaving college are examined and tested, for those who don't know.

The sprinting position groups, receivers and defensive backs, averaged just under 10% body fat. So logically some of them must have been well under, maybe 7 or 8%, unless the range was extremely tight.

Alas, TT is not included as a sport. Probably the measurements have been done by national teams, but never shared, so there is no public data.

https://in-thinair.com/2016/05/03/the-nfl-body-part-2-body-fat-percentage/

The point of the story was that this guy was being harassed to lose weight and get smaller because everyone thought he was overweight when he wasn't. Maybe my memory exaggerates the number because I haven't seen the book in a while. But the focus on 2% is not my point.
My point is that the widespread belief that you can tell how lean someone is by looking at them is generally false. You need a dexascan.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I agree. The body image is completely effed up, partly by photoshop and partly by bodybuilders who you only see in their unsustainably competition phase. But there is an idea that any visible fat is too fat. And that is biologically wrong and very dangerous. They call it exercise anorexia for a reason, it's a mental illness. But to generalize slightly we all have it, it doesn't seem as crazy as it is. Crazy people don't know they are crazy.