Thread: Chubby pros

1. Top | #81
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Poland

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      You seem to be coming late into a discussion without understanding the context. My original story was an example of someone being treated like he was fat and being forced to lose weight when he was not fat - he performed better athletically when allowed to lose weight. Yes the 2% number is wrong but the story is relevant

It is not a bad thing or understand why someone wrote something. If you agree that people can make bad judgments about how fat someone is, then you understand me. If not, fine. Please read what Atas has written and comment. If you don't read his posts then you can't make sense of mine.
      I wasn't contributing to the whole discussion. I was commenting specific part of your post which is pretty clear because I quote exact part of your post which I had a problem with.

My problem with your story is not only 2% of bodyfat however. He could be even 8%. There is no way to see someone who is so lean (8% is very lean for a non-physique competitor) and see him as fat. No way. Especially by professional trainers. 2% thing is just the icing on the cake.

That and only that is my point in this discussion - bullshit story that's just not adds up to whatever you were trying to prove by it.

To not sound like an asshole - I get that you were trying to say that some things can me misinterpreted a little. Someone might be sent on a diet without the need. there are different body types. someone might have some fat on belly but very lean arms etc. That happens. For example Vasilly Polovnikov (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahYjzfNBY6w) is quite lean but some people think he is not that lean as he has very weird build. However no professional trainer would call him fat. NONE. non-educated people (in terms of sports) might misjudge it but that's about it.
      Last edited by tutas_piotr; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:11 PM.

2. The Following User Likes tutas_piotr's Post:

NextLevel (4 Weeks Ago)

3. Top | #82
      says Looping

Senior TTD Member Country: Europe
      Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Acoustic

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 359 Times in 225 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Atas Newton View Post
      like Naomi Osaka, right. But I don't know what their training's like. Do they have multiball? Multiball wrecks anyone, however fit. Anyway, mate, what you're saying about the weight classes - I never argued the opposite. I aknowledge they're top athletes. In fact, forget Chen Meng, forget women, I don't know why everyone fixated on that. Probably because I posted a funny pic in the OP and people read something into that. Wang Hao and Ma Lin are some of the best TT players ever, both overweight. This whole thread is me asking how.
      How? Because the sport is played in a small space where quickness is no predicated as much on muscularity and lack of body fat as in other sports, like badminton or tennis. There's a difference between Ma Lin's lightning quick footwork and his ability to run 100m fast for example.

4. Top | #83
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: United States

Equipment:
      Blade yinhe w-6 (shakehand)
      Forehand Rubber BH: yinhe mercury 2 (max/medium hard)
      Backhand Rubber FH: DHS TG3 Neo (2.15/39 degs)

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 365 Times in 196 Posts
      They quite clearly are, but that's besides the point. I'm interested in what kinda metabolism lets you burn through mad amounts of energy and still retain weight. I'm assuming they eat very healthy food because performance depends on it a lot and I imagine the bigger teams like CNT are very scientific about their diet choices.
      They quite clearly aren't.

EDIT: Ive been going through your arguments. You are either blind or an idiot.
      Last edited by fais; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:45 PM.

5. The Following User Likes fais's Post:

NextLevel (4 Weeks Ago)

6. Top | #84
      says I came to spin and breathe,
      and I am all out of air...

Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
      Forehand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G1
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G1

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 10,874 Times in 4,722 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by tutas_piotr View Post
      I wasn't contributing to the whole discussion. I was commenting specific part of your post which is pretty clear because I quote exact part of your post which I had a problem with.

My problem with your story is not only 2% of bodyfat however. He could be even 8%. There is no way to see someone who is so lean (8% is very lean for a non-physique competitor) and see him as fat. No way. Especially by professional trainers. 2% thing is just the icing on the cake.

That and only that is my point in this discussion - bullshit story that's just not adds up to whatever you were trying to prove by it.

To not sound like an asshole - I get that you were trying to say that some things can me misinterpreted a little. Someone might be sent on a diet without the need. there are different body types. someone might have some fat on belly but very lean arms etc. That happens. For example Vasilly Polovnikov (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahYjzfNBY6w) is quite lean but some people think he is not that lean as he has very weird build. However no professional trainer would call him fat. NONE. non-educated people (in terms of sports) might misjudge it but that's about it.
      You got my point. I referenced the source of the bullshit story so some can check it and see whether I am lying. Most America football players are asked to sometimes lose weight because they are large. The problem was that back then no one could tell whether it was because they had big muscles and bones or because they had too much weight. There is are also racial differences in body type sometimes in play.

My point is that people like Vasily can easily be called *over weight*. It all depends on what he is trying to do. And if he is covered, someone might say he is carrying fat somewhere that is muscle if you actually checked. And he is a man - most healthy women need more or carry more body fat than that because of estrogen and other hormones. Someone pointed out earlier that in this era of steroids and surgery, people have distorted images of what lean healthy people including world class athletes look like.

And we really don't know anything about Vasily without a dexascan. We can make nice guesses, but we do not know. Misjudging it a bit depends on what you mean by a bit. Now look at the girls in the first photo. Are they fat? How do you know?
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

7. Top | #85
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      The problem was that back then no one could tell whether it was because they had big muscles and bones or because they had too much weight. There is are also racial differences in body type sometimes in play.
      I have to disagree with this part of your post. 70/80s are not ancient times. People were educated in strength sports quite well and understood body composition even if the measures might be off. People could tell if they had big muscles or not.

8. Top | #86
      says CHOLE!

Senior TTD Member Country: Russian Federation
      Equipment:
      Blade Yinhe/Galaxy W-6
      Forehand Rubber BH Sanwei T-88 Taiji
      Backhand Rubber FH 729 Battle II

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 734 Times in 336 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by fais View Post
      They quite clearly aren't.

EDIT: Ive been going through your arguments. You are either blind or an idiot.
      I'd go through your arguments but there is none. Big mouth though. I'm starting to wonder if certain people being American changes their vocabulary in such a way that their chubby is rest of the world's morbidly obese.
      Last edited by Atas Newton; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:10 PM.
      the commentator lists Grand Slam winners, calls JOW John Oev Wellner, LGL Louis Goodland (not kidding)

9. Top | #87

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      I have to disagree with this part of your post. 70/80s are not ancient times. People were educated in strength sports quite well and understood body composition even if the measures might be off. People could tell if they had big muscles or not.
      Okay. I will leave it at that. Muscles are not the only thing that go into lean body mass. And when you are extremely heavy like say, a sumo wrestler or an NFL lineman, your mass is so high that you can be lean by % and be considered fat. We can agree to disagree.

10. Top | #88
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Okay. I will leave it at that. Muscles are not the only thing that go into lean body mass. And when you are extremely heavy like say, a sumo wrestler or an NFL lineman, your mass is so high that you can be lean by % and be considered fat. We can agree to disagree.
      fair enough

11. Top | #89
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member Country: Russian Federation

Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Intensity NCT
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 (National)
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P

Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 1,920 Times in 923 Posts
      Let's add some cuteness to defuse the the argument

Last edited by Ilia Minkin; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:31 PM.

12. The Following User Likes Ilia Minkin's Post:

Suga D (4 Weeks Ago)

13. Top | #90
      says CHOLE!

Senior TTD Member Country: Russian Federation
      Equipment:
      Blade Yinhe/Galaxy W-6
      Forehand Rubber BH Sanwei T-88 Taiji
      Backhand Rubber FH 729 Battle II

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 734 Times in 336 Posts
      Wang Chuqin never heard a story about an NFL player back in the 70-s who looked fat but was secretely not. Otherwise he would've known those cheeks are all muscle.

14. The Following User Likes Atas Newton's Post:

NextLevel (4 Weeks Ago)

15. Top | #91

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Wang Chuqin never heard a story about an NFL player back in the 70-s who looked fat but was secretely not. Otherwise he would've known those cheeks are all muscle.
      You do know that men and women are different in terms of fat composition, right?

16. Top | #92
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Australia

Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Allround Evolution
      Forehand Rubber Yinhe/Galaxy Jupiter 2
      Backhand Rubber Palio AK47 Blue

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 54 Times in 36 Posts
      I will say, the two most impressively fit and strong women I have met, are both chubby at first glance. Both did ultra marathon trail running - the really grueling stuff, going up and down mountains on rocky dirt tracks, for up to 48 hours, on routes longer than traditional marathons. Their size didn't seem to hold them back much.

Personally I'm very skinny, and I think in some ways I'd be healthier if I had a bit more weight. I feel I am more prone to injury/bruising, I get tired quicker, and have less energy. And of course I'm not very strong.

17. Top | #93
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: Australia

Equipment:
      Forehand Rubber SP
      Backhand Rubber SP

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 137 Times in 60 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
      Is this some kind of sarcasm?
      No. It's entirely consistent with Lightzy's ongoing obsession with how female players look. His failure to recognise the inappropriateness of his comments is a sign of undeveloped social awareness. While experiencing attraction is completely normal, the constant need to talk about it is immature and plainly embarrassing.

18. The Following 3 Users Like bircham boi's Post:

RidTheKid (4 Weeks Ago),Suga D (4 Weeks Ago),Zaid323918 (4 Weeks Ago)

19. Top | #94
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: Australia

Equipment:
      Forehand Rubber SP
      Backhand Rubber SP

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 137 Times in 60 Posts
      The problem was that back then no one could tell whether it was because they had big muscles and bones or because they had too much weight. There is are also racial differences in body type sometimes in play.
      Agreed. In 1981, I was running marathons, 60+ mile weeks, 6' 2" (187cm) and 11st 6lb (73kg). And I knew exactly what my percentage of body fat was. There were back then, and are now, a number of methods for calculating bmi, and I was never below 11% body fat. I received lots and lots of comments about being underweight, but the simple reality is that my body type is clearly ectomorph. NextLevel's claim of 2% body fat on an NFL player is ludicrous, even if he's referencing someone else's story. And no, no-one has ever looked at a footballer with <10% body fat and thought they were fat.

20. Top | #95
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: Christmas Island

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 230 Times in 107 Posts
      Football players have a lot of muscle, which means they can have many pounds of fat and it's still quite a low percentage. But not 2%. Ten seconds of googling turned up data both across sports and from the NFL scouting combine, where players leaving college are examined and tested, for those who don't know.

The sprinting position groups, receivers and defensive backs, averaged just under 10% body fat. So logically some of them must have been well under, maybe 7 or 8%, unless the range was extremely tight.

Alas, TT is not included as a sport. Probably the measurements have been done by national teams, but never shared, so there is no public data.

https://in-thinair.com/2016/05/03/th...at-percentage/

21. Top | #96

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by Brs View Post
      Football players have a lot of muscle, which means they can have many pounds of fat and it's still quite a low percentage. But not 2%. Ten seconds of googling turned up data both across sports and from the NFL scouting combine, where players leaving college are examined and tested, for those who don't know.

The sprinting position groups, receivers and defensive backs, averaged just under 10% body fat. So logically some of them must have been well under, maybe 7 or 8%, unless the range was extremely tight.

Alas, TT is not included as a sport. Probably the measurements have been done by national teams, but never shared, so there is no public data.

https://in-thinair.com/2016/05/03/th...at-percentage/
      The point of the story was that this guy was being harassed to lose weight and get smaller because everyone thought he was overweight when he wasn't. Maybe my memory exaggerates the number because I haven't seen the book in a while. But the focus on 2% is not my point.
      My point is that the widespread belief that you can tell how lean someone is by looking at them is generally false. You need a dexascan.

22. Top | #97
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: Christmas Island

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 230 Times in 107 Posts
      I agree. The body image is completely effed up, partly by photoshop and partly by bodybuilders who you only see in their unsustainably competition phase. But there is an idea that any visible fat is too fat. And that is biologically wrong and very dangerous. They call it exercise anorexia for a reason, it's a mental illness. But to generalize slightly we all have it, it doesn't seem as crazy as it is. Crazy people don't know they are crazy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345