Chubby pros

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
I saw a recent vid with KTS next to WH commenting he is really cut now.

Some players are very efficient when they play. Losing weight just from practicing TT becomes very difficult if not impossible. Several coaches at the club where I play are like this. One recently stopped practicing completely, started to work out by lifting weights and dropped 15 pounds relatively quickly. I am also like this as well. I simply cannot lose weight playing, even if I play 6 hours a day. I feel I need to be "on" during practice so I eat more so I do not feel sluggish and tired. When I used to run competitively, I had very little body fat. Now I am playing table tennis again, I weigh way more than I used to. There are also instances of famous chubby players been told by their coaches to lose weight, only to lose weight and play worse so their coaches just decided to leave them alone.

Reactions: Atas Newton
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
DwiVdIY.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
The basic principle is simple, calories in vs calories out. However, every person is different and the body is great at adapting to different stimulus. As an example, is was weighing 75 kg but was carrying a little too much BF for my taste. So i decided to cut, gradually reducing my food intake while maintaining my physical activity (Gym 4x + TT 4x a week). I managed to get to 66kg, but by then i was eating just 1700 kcal and i hit a plateu. By then i had little enery so i decided to make a reverse diet, gradually increasing the food intake. I'm now eating 2700 kcal without gaining a single kg, and most important i have much more energy.

These are professional athletes, they have been training for hours each day, every day, and their body has adapted to that stimulus. Their genetics play a big part, and some just prefer to maintain high calories diets in order to endure more physical stress instead of dropping a couple of kg.

Good questions and pertinent.

I mean it's difficult for me because I recoil with disgust when I see things that are beyond a certain threshold of what I consider to be ugly and prefer to look at something else. I wouldn't call it a medical reaction, but it's definitely rooted in biology. The source is thought to be aversion to illness and corruption, as the same brain centers activate when looking at something ugly as when smelling something that may be rotten. Part of it is, for example, that people react favorably to things which are perfectly symmetrical and unfavorably to things which are lopsided.

Another cause may be the biological imperative of procreation and optimization in the dissemination of one's genes, which is to say, choosing a mate such that the offspring are projected to have advantage to survival, such as social advantage (beauty, intellect) or strength/hardiness.

In human society, social advantages such as beauty are considered very important, more so than physical strength in some places. Where physical strength is preferred, people might find hardy, fat, solidly built women more attractive than the opposite, etc.

It's all very intersting.

I'm sorry you consider this 'bad behavior', though I do believe this is a problem with you and not with me :)
If you were one degree more a prude, then this whole idea of discussing the chubbiness of people would have been considered in bad taste for you.
Another degree of prude and you'd think that their pictures are a bit too revealing.
It's just a spectrum and I care little for where people are on it.

“Bad Behavior” is not the term I used. Behavior that negatively impacts others is what I’m targeting here. This can sometimes be unintentional, which is why it’s always important to point out. Social norms are governed by the society one is in, and judging by the amount of likes my post got vs the amount your post got, the micro-society within this forum has determined your behavior to be negative.

The ‘Evolutionary Advantage theory’ suggests that attraction is relative to facial symmetry as a means of disease avoidance. This theory is commenting on how preference for attractiveness. But I recall you said these women were so ugly that they make you “recoil in disgust”: so much that you can’t bear to watch their matches. It's one thing to say you don't find them attractive. It's another to say they disgust you. That level of aversion would probably classify you with a personality disorder, somewhere between Clusters B & C in the annals of the DSM-5. But I doubt that’s what’s going on here.
Usually the simplest answer to a question is the correct one. And in your case, I would be willing to bet that your aversion to these ‘ugly’ girls has nothing to do with biology or psychology. Perhaps you're exaggerating to prove a point. Or maybe it's just good ole fashion jerkiness. Whatever the reasons, there are lots of ways to treat that condition; just so you don't have to skip any more TT matches that contain women you find unattractive. I wish you the best in mitigating this problem.

I suggest to do like Atlas and go back to TT
No thanks. Besides, how is that your responsibility?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I bet if Chen Meng or other "chubby" players remove their shirt, they are all muscle. Just think of FZD "xiao pang" (little fatty) and Liang Jingkun "da pang" (big fatty). They might look chubby, but they are all muscle in reality.

Yes. That said, being all muscle doesn't mean you can't be too large to move quickly and play the sport with high endurance. But this is not something that you can conclude by simply saying that someone looks chubby or fat. Looks can be deceiving.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Chubby vs muscular is a false dichotomy, you can be both. As someone who has seen a lot of sumo, let me tell you, they are strong guys, real strong, but what do they look like when they take off shirts? Well they're prohibited from wearing shirts :) But here's a pic

cache.php

It's not "all muscle", is it? Same goes for Liang Jingkun, Sun Yingsha, etc.

If chen meng loses weight and muscles she would be more beautiful and sexy.
I think that's not what's gonna be on her mind in the next few years.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Chubby vs muscular is a false dichotomy, you can be both. As someone who has seen a lot of sumo, let me tell you, they are strong guys, real strong, but what do they look like when they take off shirts? Well they're prohibited from wearing shirts :) But here's a pic

cache.php

It's not "all muscle", is it? Same goes for Liang Jingkun, Sun Yingsha, etc.

I think that's not what's gonna be on her mind in the next few years.

In fact no one is espousing a chubby muscular dichotomy. In fact all people , fat and thin, have muscles and muscles are required to carry fat.

In fact you can be very muscular with little fat and still too large for table tennis. But even when people look chubby, you can't tell what their body fat % is without testing. You can guess and be right, but you still can't be sure. Women also need a slightly higher % of body fat than men to be healthy.

Do you dispute any of this?

This user has no status.
Chubby vs muscular is a false dichotomy, you can be both. As someone who has seen a lot of sumo, let me tell you, they are strong guys, real strong, but what do they look like when they take off shirts? Well they're prohibited from wearing shirts :)

Sumo is a totally different sport. Sumo wrestlers work very hard to maintain their weight. Table tennis isn't a sport governed by weight classes. In TT, players only care about weight in so far as to maximize their agility. Otherwise, players don't have to work on maintaining weight. With the amount of training that a professional player does daily, it should be almost impossible to maintain a lot excess fat. Imagine a regular person being put in a Chinese provincial TT training center for a day, he/she would probably pass out from exhaustion half way through the day.

I mean it's possible to have slightly overweight professional TT players, but I find it hard to believe, especially since we are talking about CNT, which has famously tough training regiment. Chubby face does not automatically equal to a lot of excess body fat.

Reactions: NextLevel
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Usually the simplest answer to a question is the correct one. And in your case, I would be willing to bet that your aversion to these ‘ugly’ girls has nothing to do with biology or psychology. Perhaps you're exaggerating to prove a point. Or maybe it's just good ole fashion jerkiness. Whatever the reasons, there are lots of ways to treat that condition; just so you don't have to skip any more TT matches that contain women you find unattractive. I wish you the best in mitigating this problem.

No thanks. Besides, how is that your responsibility?

Look at the genius, he comes to the conclusion I'm doing it to have a laugh at the expense of the prude ninnies who are horrified by it. After I say exactly that in the previous post. Such great concluding.

What makes me laugh is the facade, see. I believe that when they go out for beer and BBQ with their closest friends they speak any vile crap that men speak among themselves.

You can do what you like, it's not my responsibility and I don't really care, it was merely the best suggestion, given that everyone moved on and I didn't make effort to dwell on the issue.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
With the amount of training that a professional player does daily, it should be almost impossible to maintain a lot excess fat.
I mean, yeah, that's what this thread is about. We're only disagreeing in if the particular player have excess adipose tissue or not. Let's take Chen Meng cause she's the leanest of the suspects. Even though our dreams of her removing her shirt (ba dum t-s-s, bad joke) aren't coming true, the shirt sometimes wants to remove itself during an intense rally, you know. I feel weird pointing that out but you ask and you shall receive.

cache.php

Sorry mate, that ain't muscles. And it's not just face: arms, thighs, pretty much any part of your body is a giveaway of your body fat %. Muscle definition is a giveaway too. Chen Meng is very strong and has a lot of muscle mass but the girl also has ~10 kilos of excess fat, easily. NextLevel is right, we can't be certain it's 10kg. It might be 8, it might be 13, who cares? It is plain to see the extra weight is there and it's substantial. Liang Jingkun had lost 10kg before the WTTC last year (has since regained it all) as reported by the Chinese netizens that visit our forums, and he was still far from slim. There's a lot of top level members and ex-members of CNT who rank top10 in the world with quite a few extra cm on their waist and I'm asking what you're asking: how?

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
I somehow doubt that on the chinese national team they'd just let someone run to fat, so maybe there's good reason for that apparent excess (on the females especially. you don't really see this with the men there.

Last edited: