Mizutani Announces "Retirement" from All-Japan Championships

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Rumors have been flying around. But in the post-match interview, Mizutani has made the announcement that he will "retire" from the All-Japan after making history for winning 10 times. He will not participate the All-Japan starting next year.

079A7394-1.jpg

https://rallys.online/topic/alljapan/menfinal-2/
水谷は「去年決勝で敗れて、次は勝ってみせてくれと多くの人から言われていた。だから勝つために練習した1年だった。1回優勝するだけでも大変だが、積み重ねて10回優勝することが出来た自分を褒めたい。今年30歳になる年だが、同期の選手たちと『若手の壁になろう』と話している。若手も成長してきているが『張本だけじゃなくて水谷も倒そう』となると思うので壁でいられるようにしたい」と日本卓球界を代表する水谷らしい自覚あるコメントを残した。また「今年で最後の全日本にしたい。来年は出場しない」とも明言した。
"After losing in the final last year, many people said that I must win it back the next time. So, I spent the last year practicing for this victory. I want to praise myself for having accumulated 10 championship titles, because I will be 30 years old this year. I've told my peers "let's become a wall for the youngsters. Young players are growing but I would like to be that wall that makes them think "I want to beat not only Harimoto, but also Mizutani" This is the last All-Japan Championships for me. I will not participate next year."

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2019-01-21/doc-ihqfskcn8898694.shtml
 “去年全日本决赛输了,许多人说下次一定要赢给他们看。所以这是为了胜利而练习的一年,想表扬积累起来取得10次冠军的自己,因为今年我就要是30岁的年龄了。”水谷还透露计划在东京奥运会结束之后从国家队退役,“身边的人都期待着我在东京奥运会和世界锦标赛上取得更好的成绩。但一年要在全世界各地参加10场以上的巡回赛,说实话很辛苦”
"After losing in the final last year, many people said that I must win it back the next time. So, I spent the last year practicing for this victory. I want to praise myself for having accumulated 10 championship titles, because I will be 30 years old this year." Mizutani also revealed plans to retire from the national team after the Tokyo Olympics. "People around me expect me to achieve better results in the Tokyo Olympics and World Championships. But I have to participate in more than 10 Opens around the world in one year, which is very difficult, to be honest."

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
People who quit at the top sometimes strike me as people afraid to lose. Not a fan of this. Don't have fun only when you win!

I'm personally someone who would likely play until I'm dead, so I'm half with you on this.

But I don't have a "legacy" to maintain, or a life to lead outside of professional sport.

It's very difficult to chose when to quit. Just look at the likes of Federer or Tom Brady (probably not many people who would know who he is on this forum, but I'm assuming you do!)

Despite being significantly older than average (for their sports), they are still playing at the highest level, and winning a lot of the time.

If TB wins the SB in 2 weeks, does he call it a day? The guy is 41, he surely can't go on much longer.

Or does he play until he loses?

Same for Federer. I have no doubt he'd still win some matches at the highest level when he's 45 - But he'd be remembered for not knowing when to call it a day.

Now, if Mizutani is simply saying "I don't want to ruin my stats", but plays everything else...... Then fine, that's a cowards way out.

But if he's reducing his schedule like Timo Boll did, I kind of get it.

Reactions: TheCoolPug7