Which balls are the worst

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
It's a personal preference only, but I dislike butterfly 3stars. They're like... so light and smooth. I've grown used to the chunkier solid slightly rough surfaced balls like the DHS. Butterfly balls sound broken when u get used to the sound of the DHS

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Butterfly G40 are awful, but unfortunately it's what we use in competition around here. They are light, smooth, sound broken and have an unpredictable bounce.

The same with me - Butterfly G40+ is the worst.

This thread is my spirit animal.

G40+, all day long.

+1
Even the not so good players at my club (not good enough for city league) can literally tell within ten seconds that the G40 is total garbage.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Be sure to check out the hilarious comment. You'll never view Boll the same way again.

Thanks for the reminder. I vaguely remember this clip and it is certainly about as hilarious as it can get, since it's easy to tell that Timo knows that he is talking nonsense.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
And this one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Well I'm generally not too picky. Kinda a go with the flow kinda guy so it's not like I hate this ball. But... If you ask me which is the worse?

I'll tell you Nittaku 3-Star Premium 40+ Balls all day long. This isn't for shock value. I know a lot of people like them but here's reasoning.

1 - Basically playing 3 bucks a ball is stupid IMO
2 - They're so dang hard, they break easily (I was hitting with a buddy. He didn't it it all that hard. He missed the table. Bounced once off the floor. Hit the wall. Crack. They simply have no give and break too easily IMO. Can't have that for the price they are... Go ahead and run a tournament with a hardbat event in it playing this ball and watch your club's money go bye bye. Cracked balls everywhere.
3 - I genuinely think it doesn't spin as well. Now at our club we use the DHS D40+ ball which is softer. So it conforms & flexes as it spins. A ball that flexes slightly oval form the centripetal force while top-spinning will spin better than a perfectly spherical ball top-spinning. At least I think that's right. What do I know. I suppose this is all subjective but yeah... I don't think it spins quite as well either.

I think for context, one should probably list what balls they've tried:
I've played with the following plastic balls. Gambler's, Butterfly's, DHS D40+, Nittaku, Joola, Donic & Yinhe's ball.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Be sure to check out the hilarious comment. You'll never view Boll the same way again.

When you post this you should might as well also add that this vid was taken loooooooooooooooooong time before the ABS balls were introduced. There was no A40+ and no D40+ or any of their copies.

To that time the ONLY company that had some sort of ABS ball was Nittaku which makes your whole hateful comment appear in a new light!

So by now everyone probably knows what a hateful troll you are! Thanks for letting us know!
Eff off, dude!

+1
Even the not so good players at my club (not good enough for city league) can literally tell within ten seconds that the G40 is total garbage.

Then your 'not-so-good' players must have a better hand feeling than some TTBL clubs and their players who chose to use the G40+.
Certainly there are also Marketing purposes behind this, but if the ball was as shitty as you experts keep claiming then no TTBL club would use it. Wanna bet?

Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely not a fan of this ball. Not anymore.
But maybe let's just stick to the truth for a minute pls.

Thanks for the reminder. I vaguely remember this clip and it is certainly about as hilarious as it can get, since it's easy to tell that Timo knows that he is talking nonsense.

As i said, nothing against your memory, but maybe keep the first part of this post of me in mind.

When this vid was made THERE WAS NO ABS! so your Interpretation is pretty much for the birds.

Always handy with stupid accusations. No matter how farfetched they are, right?

Sorry for losing it, but sometimes.....

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Here's the funny write-up by Ben Larcombe. Boll fanboys will find it very soothing.

http://www.equipmentjunkie.com/butterfly-g40-plus-review
I’ve watched the Timo video a few times and this is what I’ve picked up on…

He starts off very strong saying the G40+ is a “new level” and “higher quality” compared to other plastic balls. I’m assuming he is referring to the DHS and Double Fish balls here, and he is nodding and appears to believe what he is saying.
Then, at 0:30, he says, “You could feel it directly. Your topspins get much stronger.” He begins shaking his head during this section, suggesting he doesn’t really believe what he is saying. It would appear he’s not sure about the spin on the ball and perhaps doesn’t even like playing with it that much in general.
He goes on to talking about the durability and how the G40+ is much stronger and less likely to break, which is good for everyone. I would say this appears to be true and he believes what he is saying.
Then, at 1:05, Timo says, “Of course I can recommend it, not only because I’m a Butterfly player, also because it’s really a better quality.” While saying this he is shaking his head and even shrugs his shoulders. He goes on to say, “It’s more fun to play” – while shaking his head vigorously.

My conclusion would be that Timo is not very comfortable recommending this ball and giving it his seal of approval. Even more so, he dislikes playing with the ball. Put all of this together, and shove a camera in his face, and it’s no wonder he is looking so nervous!

Reactions: JST and AndySmith
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Well I'm generally not too picky. Kinda a go with the flow kinda guy so it's not like I hate this ball. But... If you ask me which is the worse?

I'll tell you Nittaku 3-Star Premium 40+ Balls all day long. This isn't for shock value. I know a lot of people like them but here's reasoning.

1 - Basically playing 3 bucks a ball is stupid IMO
2 - They're so dang hard, they break easily (I was hitting with a buddy. He didn't it it all that hard. He missed the table. Bounced once off the flood. Hit the wall. Crack. They simply have no give and break too easily IMO. Can't have that for the price they are... Go ahead and run a tournament with a hardbat event in it playing this ball and watch your club's money go bye bye. Cracked balls everywhere.
3 - I genuinely think it doesn't spin as well. Now at our club we use the DHS D40+ ball which is softer. So it confirms & flexes as it spins. A ball that flexes slightly oval form the centripetal force while top-spinning will spin better than a perfectly spherical ball top-spinning. At least I think that's right. What do I know. I suppose this is all subject but yeah... I don't think it spins quite as well either.

I think for context, one should probably list what balls they've tried:
I've played with the following plastic balls. Gambler's, Butterfly's, DHS D40+, Nittaku, Joola, Donic & Yinhe's ball.

"A ball that flexes slightly oval form the centripetal force while top-spinning will spin better than a perfectly spherical ball top-spinning."
Well, that would mean that Mother Earth would be bulging at the equator!? Oh yea, she does. Chimborazo!

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
When you post this you should might as well also add that this vid was taken loooooooooooooooooong time before the ABS balls were introduced. There was no A40+ and no D40+ or any of their copies.

To that time the ONLY company that had some sort of ABS ball was Nittaku which makes your whole hateful comment appear in a new light!

So by now everyone probably knows what a hateful troll you are! Thanks for letting us know!
Eff off, dude!

Then your 'not-so-good' players must have a better hand feeling than some TTBL clubs and their players who chose to use the G40+.
Certainly there are also Marketing purposes behind this, but if the ball was as shitty as you experts keep claiming then no TTBL club would use it. Wanna bet?

Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely not a fan of this ball. Not anymore.
But maybe let's just stick to the truth for a minute pls.

As i said, nothing against your memory, but maybe keep the first part of this post of me in mind.

When this vid was made THERE WAS NO ABS! so your Interpretation is pretty much for the birds.

Always handy with stupid accusations. No matter how farfetched they are, right?

Sorry for losing it, but sometimes.....

It is what it is, Suga. When I mention that some "not-so-good"-players can tell that the G40 is garbage, I'm actually quoting them, since that was the very comment I got from my clubmate back then...

About three years ago when I returned to tt, the G40 was just released and the Nittaku Premium -which is made of (some sort of) ABS, as you have pointed out- was already on the market. These were the balls that I knew (apart from the 1 star Donic practice balls, which I barely used, but our club used tu buy in buckets...) and kept in my bag. I expected quite a bit from the G40, but my impressions were very similar to the impressions which hipnotic also made: rather light, gets smooth fast/ doesn't spin that good and breaks fairly easily (compared to the NP). It's just what is is (or was).

Anyway, so one day my clubmate asked me for a ball cause he was too lazy to walk the 20 - 30m to the storage room where we keep the buckets of balls. I gave him a G40 and a NP. I didn' t really care which one they would use for the practice match. After about ten or twenty seconds he angrily threw the G40 back to me with the words "That one is garbage!" and they went on to play with the Nittaku...similar thing happened a few days or weeks later with two other guys. I for myself wouldn't put too much thought on that. I just have to smile a little bit when I think back of that little episode. By the way: I really wouldn't describe these guys as players with a good "hand-feeling".

However I do not doubt that there were TTBL clubs that used the G40. The reasons for that? I don't really know. Maybe marketing as you mentioned, i.e. the club/s might have been contractually obligated to play with the G40. Be that as it may, I admit that I do not have any insight in how things work on the national or international level.

As for Timo: I might be exaggerating a tiny tiny tiny bit, but I've been a social worker for almost ten years now and I would like to believe that I can tell (most of the time) if someone is just nervous or if he (or she) does not tell the truth. Obviously Timo is nervous in the clip, but in my opinion he is nervous because he simply knows that he is not telling the (full) truth here, although I wouldn't say that he is per se "lying". I for myself would always consider that he is under contract from Butterfly. It must have been an awkward situation for Timo for he was way more nervous than usaually during interviews or similar situations...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Butterfly G40.

This is also the opinion of basically everyone at my club. Weren't they releasing a new one? Has the Nittaku Premium been bettered yet? We still use the XSF 40+ ball at the moment. It's decent but not as good as Nittaku.

BTY released the A40+, which is a good ball but probably just a variant of the other chinese ABS seamed offerings (D40+ or the Double Fish one) so you're best off saving some money IMO. Some players (and clubs) have a heavy brand bias and gravitate towards a brand they know regardless of anything else. They might think the G40+ can't be bad because Butterfly make it, and why would they make something bad? I think it will go down in history as an interesting experiment at a chaotic time for the sport.

The XSF balls were the 1st gen of seamless - some of the newer ones I've tried feel a bit harder (Joola Flash, Yinhe S40+) so the differences aren't as stark in comparison with the ABS seamed balls.

Jan 2018
Has the Nittaku Premium been bettered yet?
Oh, ya.

Butterfly G40+ = German shit
Nittaku Premium 40+ = Japanese quality yet expensive shit
DHS D40+ = Chinese but hands down THE shit