Rubber lifespan

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
When I have used my rubbers 50 times what comes down to approx. 100 hours I change them. Is this to soon/to late?
I use a tensor on BH and Chinese on FH. Do you have some kind of usage standard?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think this depends on your level of play and how much money you have. And Maybe even playing style?

I think better players with more spin Will notice faster that the rubbers are being Worn. Players that have a thin loop with alot od spin proably also feel that they need to change more often.

I try to change mine when the grip seems to go away and when it starts to look like something that have been in my basement.

I Do think it is hard to say any exact figures.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Chinese rubber only starts being good after like 100 hours :)
I mean, hard tacky chinese rubbers. If you don't boost them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
For me I have to change my FH every 4-5 weeks. (3*3hour sessions every week). Hurricane worn out fast..

Wow. You seem to be hardhitting.
I usually practice 2 times a week plus league matches on the weekends, so that would add up to 3 times a week and actually only change rubbers about every six months, but my fh rubber sometimes still feels good after this long period and actually doesn't really need to be replaced.
Does the rubber degrade notably after 4 weeks or do you just have the feeling that you should replace it.

Well, maybe i just don't hit hard enough.
[Emoji2]

Reactions: Jirrex
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
When I have used my rubbers 50 times what comes down to approx. 100 hours I change them. Is this to soon/to late?
I use a tensor on BH and Chinese on FH. Do you have some kind of usage standard?

I hit about 10hrs/week with intensity, and a couple of hours to boot in a more leisurely fashion. After play I clean my rubbers, and store away my blade in a closed case, in-house where it's not to cold (or hot) and not too dry or humid.

With ESN rubbers I usually notice a bit of degradation in a month or so, a little more after three months. My Butterfly rubbers about the same. Some, but not all of them, start to "slip" at some point. It's usually not just the rubber losing its grip, but also the humidity. Rasant Grip had that, but Tenergy 05 and Rozena also tend to get more sensitive to humidity after a while. I usually notice during play and adapt my game a bit, moving away from deeply spin-based to a flatter, more direct style. There are limits to that.

I try to play with a single set of rubbers per season/competition. That usually boils down to three changes a year, with summer and winter sometimes offering intervals fit for experimentation -- adapting stroke techniques, footwork, but sometimes also trying out other equipment out of curiosity. Others hold on longer to their rubbers, some to the extent that I find them unplayable, but there are also scores of players that change rubbers that to me feel barely broken in. To each her own.

Last edited:
Reactions: cerebro

About tensors a 100 hours of lifespan is normal. +/- depending on style, temp, intensity, maintenance, etc.
My spreadsheet for tensor performance is - up to 40 hrs-excellent, 60hrs-very good, 80hrs-good, 100hrs-acceptable, 120hrs-playable.
Softer tensors have shorter lifespan, especially with harder play.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Wow - you guys change a lot. The rubber on my paddle is at least four years old.

I'm amazed in both ways. I have an old setup with Sriver L, glued on mid '80s. It still plays reasonably well; is still grippy and elastic. I played a club member last week who was struggling, and as I saw everything just dropping dead off his FH I had a look. That rubber, a Sriver L a mere few months old, felt very hard to the touch (much like anti) and had lost all its grip. Rarely seen anyone so happy after I replaced that rubber.

Now he is careful in cleaning and storing away his equipment. I't understand if that bat had been left exposed in an adverse environment for an extensive period of time, but it wasn't. I don't necessarily think today's Sriver should be that much different.

I understand less and less about durability. I've played very happily for a week or two with a new Rasant Grip, then found myself collecting balls as they slipped of and fell on the floor when I hit a decent counterloop with some confidence. Yet for some others it held up just fine.

My current Rozena is going strong for many moons now. At times I wonder why I get tons of spin on my 3rd and 4th loop when away from the table whereas my openup seems somewhat dull; yet I know it's not the rubber and I'm holding off on replacing it because this is teaching me things I need to learn.

Reactions: fais
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
My coach helped me in understanding on how to generate spin by motion and not by brushing alone in an upwards movement. In the motion technique I am supposed to engage my core and rotate coming more through the ball and hitting by leaning forwards. With this technique, I am able to engage the sponge more and still generate spin. After I started doing this, I somehow feel that I use my rubbers for a longer duration. However, I am not a high level player and just experimenting and learning the sport. So more experienced high rated players will not agree with my comments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I am not a good enough player to change my rubbers frequently. I block a lot and blocking is easier for me with deader rubber with a less lively sponge.

I can see that topsheet grip is important for touch shots and brush loops. Those feature in my game but not so much that I cannot use a rubber for 6 months to a year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I try to practice atleast 3,4 Times a week. Do you guys think different rubbers have very different lifespan? Anyone with an opinion on which rubbers that last somewhat long?

I use rakza x now since We are an yasaka club. But i Do feel that the topshit Will worn out very fast. Almost after just some few weeks i see that they look worn in the topsheet.

Any advice i appreciated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I'm amazed in both ways. I have an old setup with Sriver L, glued on mid '80s. It still plays reasonably well; is still grippy and elastic. I played a club member last week who was struggling, and as I saw everything just dropping dead off his FH I had a look. That rubber, a Sriver L a mere few months old, felt very hard to the touch (much like anti) and had lost all its grip. Rarely seen anyone so happy after I replaced that rubber.

Now he is careful in cleaning and storing away his equipment. I't understand if that bat had been left exposed in an adverse environment for an extensive period of time, but it wasn't. I don't necessarily think today's Sriver should be that much different.

I understand less and less about durability. I've played very happily for a week or two with a new Rasant Grip, then found myself collecting balls as they slipped of and fell on the floor when I hit a decent counterloop with some confidence. Yet for some others it held up just fine.

My current Rozena is going strong for many moons now. At times I wonder why I get tons of spin on my 3rd and 4th loop when away from the table whereas my openup seems somewhat dull; yet I know it's not the rubber and I'm holding off on replacing it because this is teaching me things I need to learn.

Old Sriver seem to be of way better quality than the modern sheets. One of my training partners resumed training 2 years ago with her rubbers that were from the mid 80ies. She could looop quite well (she's more of a flat hitter so looping isn't her no.1 prio). She quite recently replaced her Sriver due to peer pressure and she did get a bit more spin but it's not like her game changed dramatically. Her son (3rd ranked in his age group in the region) also plays with Sriver and he replaces his sheets every 4-6 months much to his mothers discontent.

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I used to notice my FH worn out more quickly when I used Tenergy, as my loop had more spin than power. With chinese I feel them much more durable. But I usually practice between 4 - 6 hours per week. My FH Tenergy 05 lasted me like 2 - 3 months. After I usually swapped FH Tenergy with BH Tenergy 05 and lasted some 1 - 2 months(always boosted). But with chinese rubber, not only the rubbers are much more durable, but they also are more cheaper so I can switch more frequently, but I don't feel that I need it eheh :p More than loops, my problem with a worn out Tenergy was the weak serves, and that is the most crucial part of my game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I just replied to a thread saying there is no general answer.

same here.
Level, hard hitting, type of training (multiball vs game play) will all determine your usage.
Player A usage of 100 hour can be different to player b of 100 hours.
other than usage, you can playing conditions, storage conditions, racket care etc

A kid I know just posted a big thank you for making the WTTTC team for Chinese Taipei as the 5th player by trials.
He said past 2 year, he trained for 37xx hours, used (can't remember the number - but I recall it was about) 2 new rubbers every 4 weeks inside the 2 year period
This could is a potential WR100 to WR200 level.

Then I am using a 2 to 3 year old Xiom Vega China for multiball feeding and it is still good enough imo
It does lake some gears now, but it will be good enough for me to still beat some students with

This user has no status.
I just replied to a thread saying there is no general answer.

same here.
Level, hard hitting, type of training (multiball vs game play) will all determine your usage.
Player A usage of 100 hour can be different to player b of 100 hours.
other than usage, you can playing conditions, storage conditions, racket care etc

A kid I know just posted a big thank you for making the WTTTC team for Chinese Taipei as the 5th player by trials.
He said past 2 year, he trained for 37xx hours, used (can't remember the number - but I recall it was about) 2 new rubbers every 4 weeks inside the 2 year period
This could is a potential WR100 to WR200 level.

Then I am using a 2 to 3 year old Xiom Vega China for multiball feeding and it is still good enough imo
It does lake some gears now, but it will be good enough for me to still beat some students with

I hope he was sponsored. That's 48 sheets of tenergy = £2500!