Ma long return?????????

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
Will Ma Long can return to table tennis tournament ?

Sep 2016
oh dear! I know if you are out for too long it is hard to come back as strong as before. I hope he can

Sep 2016
I hope he will not be the same as his team mate Zhang, Zhang came back for only a short time but can not get back to the top level

Sep 2016
I really like both of them,Ma Long ,Xu and Zhang were the strongest team

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
In Ma long family thread, it is posted that ML is looking forward for marvelous 12 event in Feb end. So hopefully he will be back by then.
If Ma Long is trying to recover from injury why are they making him play in the Marvelous 12 to qualify for the WTTC? Makes no sense to risk further injury. LGL/CNT should just select him for the WTTC because, well, he is Ma Long.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
He's 30, injured, married, a dad. There's a whole bunch of faster, fitter kids coming up who have no responsibility other than to practice TT all day and aren't afraid of injury or over-working. No responsibility to anything but TT, but also none of the priority and life changing love that comes when you have a kid.

Sure, he was the best of all time, but I don't think he's coming back. Not really. But I'd be very happily surprised if he comes back for another year or two on the up and up.
I just don't think that's how the chinese national team system operates. It's not like Europe where ur a free agent and can do what you like, playing at 37, winning some and losing most etc.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
He's 30, injured, married, a dad. There's a whole bunch of faster, fitter kids coming up who have no responsibility other than to practice TT all day and aren't afraid of injury or over-working. No responsibility to anything but TT, but also none of the priority and life changing love that comes when you have a kid.

Sure, he was the best of all time, but I don't think he's coming back. Not really. But I'd be very happily surprised if he comes back for another year or two on the up and up.
I just don't think that's how the chinese national team system operates. It's not like Europe where ur a free agent and can do what you like, playing at 37, winning some and losing most etc.

Spot on. I would honestly love to see Ma Long coming back (not just coming back, but coming back strong), but I feel like such a possibility is fairly slim. Once you hit 30, it's an uphill battle (especially with injury).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think they have rules though about selection.

And those rules virtually guarantee Ma Long a spot in the 2020 Olympics barring a major setback. He will play the Marvelous 12 for practice but he is virtually guaranteed a spot regardless of where he places. USually they take 3 players or so and leave the rest to coach's discretion.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If Ma Long is trying to recover from injury why are they making him play in the Marvelous 12 to qualify for the WTTC? Makes no sense to risk further injury. LGL/CNT should just select him for the WTTC because, well, he is Ma Long.

He won't be playing to qualify, he will be playing to make sure he can get into form under competitive stress.

Sep 2016
To be honest I don,t think Ma Long , Xu Xin , will play Olympics. That is why now China put so many new young players out

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
To be honest I don,t think Ma Long , Xu Xin , will play Olympics. That is why now China put so many new young players out

I said the same thing about Zhang Jike in 2016. Then someone pointed out to me that in every qualification cycle for the Olympics, China sends the WTTC winner(s) for the tournaments before the Olympics for singles and has never let a winner in that cycle not attend the Olympics. Both for men and women. He posted all the players since 1988 or something like that and it was an eye opener to me. If mytt was still working, I would have found the post. The main reason why ZJK went for Olympics in 2016 was that he was the 2013 WTTC winner. Otherwise, he would have stayed at home.

So if anyone wants to qualify other than Ma Long for the Olympics, the easiest way is to win the WTTC in Hungary in 2019. Other than that, they are fighting an uphill battle. They all know it, and they all hope that if they don't win that Ma Long wins again so they will have a chance. Because who ever wins whose name is not Ma Long ends the 2020 Olympic qualification.

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
You do remember that Ma Long was undefeated in Super League before he got injured and withdrew?

no i don't.

but if he is badly injured he won't be the same player alas when/if he comes back, pretty much like ZJK and scores of other athletes.

as for XU Xin he sometimes wins his cadets, sometimes loses. But time isn't playing in his favour

and yeah - MA Long may be the coach's choice for Tokyo 2020 Singles even if he isn't China #1 or #2 anymore, just because he is the reigning champion, as long as he still beats foreign players.

Last edited: