USA Olympic selection process change

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'll just quote what she said in an interview last May: "学会放下。(learn to let go.)"

guess the American democracy is just a bunch of words only
I found out that only a minority of board members are "voted in by public", the rest are all appointed.
I also read those "public appointed" board members found out of the new selection policy in the news and not in a board meeting....

I'm not surprised that Wang Chen is upset
even your CNT only allow 20% coaches vote (1 out of 5)
America is 2 out of 3, so that is 66%

Crazy

I guess if one must, you can either corrupt/bribe or kidnap/ransom 1 Person and you on your way to Tokyo olympics

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
I also think that most of the spots on the national team will be selected this way. 1 spot for the winner of the trials and the rest are appointed by the high performance director or a few other people.

I am guessing their logic is that by choosing the "hopes of the future" and giving them experience they will suddenly become medal contenders. They feel the USA cannot win medals with the older better players whose talent level has stabilized. Although I understand their reasons, they are completely wrong. There is no guarantee "the hopes of the future" will ever improve past the level of the players they cannot already beat. If I had a dime for every next American great junior hope, I would be a millionaire. I sincerely hope that one day these players improve and become world class. However the national team and the Olympic team should be based on who is currently the best, not who might be the best in 8 years.

I personally know several players who have made the national team in the past who would have had NO CHANCE of making the team based on the way the USATT wants to run things now. They are either not popular with the right people or considered hopeless by the higher ups.

Let the players compete for the spots on the team. If I am a super talented junior player and not playing at the right club or maybe not "fashionably one of the cool kids" I see the writing on the wall: I am either the #1 player in the country or I am not making the national team. So why bother playing table tennis?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Damn, Tony just moved up big-time spots on the board with my brand of sharp tongue and attitude.

Yup. USATT controllers are controlled by controllers controlling the sport at the top level in a controlled manner.

Yup, the ones controlling did not get there by some vote by USATT membership.

It would be hilarious funny if the ones controlling were not so utterly clueless about how to grow a sport and produce competitors for the international stage. A group of drunken Lemurs from Dilbert the comic strip... the best practical study of Organizational Behavior in modern times.

Capture1.jpg

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Damn Lightspin, that worthless BH-Man over at MyTT must have mentioned to come on over here.

Damn Lightspin, you also got it ging on with sharp humor and keeping it real perspective. Pound the like button.

How 'bout some more Dilbert for perspective on random measure to hope for success.

Capture.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'm not sure which other championship division country appoints national teams for Olympics. Maybe only North Korea
Every other top notch country is majority by trials.

the lower rated countries does not count in this example.
I also hope USA can lead the way in TT professionalism and growth....

I can understand if USATT wants to give direct access to higher world rank players
IE Lily and Kanak has "qualified" by world ranking. But then this must be set in stone ages ago - ie previous olympic cycle.
You can't change things in 2018/2019 for 2020. You can change it now for 2024

and should say Lily and Kanak fail, then the "1 spot per gender" coaches vote is there to make sure they go should they missed the trials.

Again, this tie down to the stupid 2 player rule + 3rd for team and no more doubles in Olympics
more olympics dreams is down the drain - not just China affected but all TT athletes around the world.
Some players are not there to win gold medals, but are training hard to make the olympic dream come true...

Maybe to be fair.
If you have player inside wr 50 - direct qualification (highest)
If not, then 2 player to be chosen by trials (or 1 if you have a direct entry)
Then 1 player to be chosen by coach.
Then next highest player in trials is backup player

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Both Kanak and Lily have been beat by players ranked above 100 recently. Make them compete, maybe other players training don't have the money to compete in enough events to get a world ranking.

I agree the rules shouldn't be changed this close to the Olympics, change for 2024.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I read the article pretty fast, and i understand that they have changed the Selection process But Did they say why?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I read the article pretty fast, and i understand that they have changed the Selection process But Did they say why?

I don't think so.
few USATT committee members knew of it after it was published. So I doubt if "why" has any merits.
If it has merit, why didn't the new rule get shared to all the committee members for commenting before releasing the news....
PS, as I read, the committee members has no say or influence on national team selection

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'm on this group....
https://www.facebook.com/BayAreaTableTennisFederation/

its shocking to read and it doesn't feel like the author is trash talking - he doesn't have anything to win by change the rules back to 2016 selection (ie he isn't doing it for his kids)

Progress or Regress - USATT Athletes Selection Procedures
By Bruce Liu
USATT released a statement in response to the controversies of the 2020 Olympic Selection Procedures. It seems that USATT will back up a policy clearly violating the spirit of the sport. Here is USATT's statement:
https://www.teamusa.org/…/USATT-Statement-on-2020-Olympic-S…
On my further investigation on the various USATT selection procedures on TTTeam and 2019 Pan Am, there is at least one thing in common - enormous discretionary power. It seems that USATT has changed its direction completely. USATT considers the change progress in their statement. I consider it regress. You may read USATT in its entirety yourself. I'm not gonna do a word-for-word analysis. I'd make it short here.

- No dispute in athlete selection in previous olympics. Why? Because it was performance based. Athletes got fair chances to fight for their slots. They cheered for their wins. They accepted the outcomes if they did not make it.
- Few people made important decisions without checks and balances. Larry Hodges, an at-large USATT Board member, said that he did not know the Olympic selection procedures until he read it online.
- "...athletes would be added to the team through a special committee comprised of the High Performance Director, two National Team Coaches,,the head of the HPC, and an athlete representative."
I believe these people have good intention for the sport. However, how many days a year they get to see our players? It may be reasonable in China because athletes and coaches practically train together year round. Also, I have my suspect that all five people here are not weighed equally. In fact, someone questioned that this arrangement is an afterthought that it does not exist in any document.
- "This has resulted in a change in our team selection procedures across the board to emphasize the commitment and sustained training and performance by athletes that is needed to succeed on the world stage."
Nothing wrong with the above sentence. However, competition is the ultimate examination of athletes. If USATT's criteria is so ironclad, they should not worry about athletes not excel at the competition. Olympic medals have always been earned through competition. Can you imagine only Gold medals are earned. Silver and Bronze medals are determined by a "special committee"?
- Discretionary selection is not necessarily evil. However, it is unfathomable that up to two thirds of athletes will be selected that way.
I'm glad to hear that all three at-large USATT Board member candidates, Mike Babuin, Lily Yip, and myself, have expressed their doubt on the the olympic selection procedures. In addition, both current USATT at-large board members, Larry Hodges and Rajul Sheth, also have shown their concerns. Not sure about the position of other USATT board members. I wrote a couple emails to all board members but did not hear from them.

Here is someone with a law degree from Harvard and Columbia commenting:

== Gail Kendalls comments ==
My comments below come directly from the Act of Congress establishing and funding the United States Olympic Committee.
The Act clearly requires that national governing bodies like the USATT must send the players who are currently our very best to represent our nation in each and every Pan Am and Olympic Game.

All our athletes must have an equal opportunity to participate in competition without discrimination. No sports organization like the USATT will continue to be recognized as a national governing body if it fails to comply with this requirement.
The customary open Trials clearly comply with US law; discretionary selection, by its nature, can never be proven to be compliant. I recommend that the USATT continue to use the customary open Trials in order to avoid disruptive controversy and possible injury to its standing as a national governing body.
Relevant excerpts from the law regarding the purpose of, and requirements for, the USOC and its national governing bodies follow:
36 U.S.C. Section 374(4):
“obtain for the United States, either directly or by delegation to the appropriate national governing body, the most competent amateur representation possible in each competition and event of the Olympic Games and of the Pan-American Games;”
36 U.S.C. Section 391(b):
"No amateur sports organization...is eligible to continue to be recognized as a national governing body unless it…provides an equal opportunity to amateur athletes…to participate in…competition…without discrimination on the basis of…age…or national origin….”

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
In TT, young athletes when being trained professionally, make tremendous strides of improvement in a short period of time. Sometimes it is just one big technique that gets them over a hurdle for their playing level to increase dramatically. As some players get older, their skill level decreases compared to others.

It definitely should be a competition to determine who qualifies.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
I think a lot of people are against this or think it is unfair. Unfortunately if a player or player's parents are too vocal, they could potentially be blackballed from any selections in the future whether it be selected for a training camp or selected for a team. The direction things are moving in is just terrible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think a lot of people are against this or think it is unfair. Unfortunately if a player or player's parents are too vocal, they could potentially be blackballed from any selections in the future whether it be selected for a training camp or selected for a team. The direction things are moving in is just terrible.

I think that is why I feel it is so important for Wang Chen to take them to the cleaners.
She has proven herself as a player - best results ever for someone representing Team USA
Her playing career should also be coming to an end soon (she isn't young), so she has the records as well as nothing to loose.
I would imagine she also has the connections, fame, power and money to fight this nonese.

If it was a junior, i'm sure the kids parents would turn a blind eye

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tony's Table Tennis said:
I don't think so.
few USATT committee members knew of it after it was published. So I doubt if "why" has any merits.
If it has merit, why didn't the new rule get shared to all the committee members for commenting before releasing the news....
PS, as I read, the committee members has no say or influence on national team selection

Yup.

Tony is hitting upon a few principles as to why many long time USATT members are so distrusting of USATT leadership the last decades since US Olympic Committee started to dictate stuff by "Stacking the Deck" in an American way of speaking.

The way USATT is controlled is very autocratic with zero possibility of check/balance. Those controlling USATT have the ability to enact and execute in just about any manner that is not outright illegal... and even then it would take national outrage like the US Gymnastics female team being raped and molested going viral. Even then it would take a long time.

So, it isn't very surprising.

What we could do is figure out who appointed who and follow the money/power.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think that is why I feel it is so important for Wang Chen to take them to the cleaners.
She has proven herself as a player - best results ever for someone representing Team USA
Her playing career should also be coming to an end soon (she isn't young), so she has the records as well as nothing to loose.
I would imagine she also has the connections, fame, power and money to fight this nonese.

If it was a junior, i'm sure the kids parents would turn a blind eye

Some of the junior kids parents have a lot more money than Wang Chen. It takes hundreds of thousands of USD to train a kid to age 14 to a level of competing for national team selection...

I have a few friends who have kids who look to be at that level in a few years... these parents are not your average poor folk either... a fight is brewing for sure. It will come to a head soon enough. if those unjustly controlling do not play reasonable, they gunna hate it and ought to play fair while they have a chance to do it and keep face (and self from prison if they are not using appropriated funds in the manner enacted - that is federal funds appropriations laws being messed with if this is the case)