Upgrade Grubba to Xiom Off S vs. Andro Core Off vs. IF ALC (V-6)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
hey guys,

last tournament i played against several 1600+ dudes. i was able to keep up with them and return a lot of balls, but in the end they killed me in the rally. i do play for 3 years and i can use the whole repertoire of push, drive loops, opening up loops and power loops. i would consider my skill level to be about 1300 german points. i am kind of a controll dual wing looper. after i ask for tips all said that i need to hit harder and play with more pace.

since then i was working the whole month to play more aggressivly and get more security in my backhand attacks with a good progress imo. now the EJ kicks in. while i like my current setup very much because its a great control setup with BTY Grubba and Donic Baracuda, i consider to go a faster blade and/or harder rubbers.

big pro of my current setup is the ability to be able to play a secure passive game aswell and be able to hit hard and still be safe. the big con is about safety shots beeing too safety and harmless for the opponent, e.g. a drive shot without adding own spin/speed due to reaction.

upgrading the blade would mean a worser passive game, but a better active game. tbh i feel like i am ready to upgrade my 82g Grubba as i advanced in the last 3 years.

now i have the in the title mentioned blades. i prefer to go for the Xiom Offensive S blade with Fastarc G1 rubbers. another consideration would be to upgrade my Grubba with the Fastarc rubbers, but i kinda feel like in the end i have to upgrade to an offensive blade to progress further.

another question: i do own a 7 ply limba blade aswell as an innerforce blade (729 V6). both are quite thick and heavy (92g & 88g). maybe in some years i'm gonna try out these blades. now where is the big difference between them? i feel like the 7 ply blade is faster with hard hits. whats the deal with the IF ALC? i read about ALC decreasing the "trampoline" effect of the wood, still the carbon blades are considered to be faster than allwood blades which confuses me.

This user has no status.
It's tempting to EJ but for someone your level Grubba plus Donic Barracuda is really perfect. If you feel you lack speed it's because you are still developing technique. Give your set up to a 2000 TTR guy and see how much speed and spin it can create. I recommend sticking.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Stickning to your current setup is probably the sensible thing but why not have a look at the BTY Primorac or Korbel? You’ll get a slight speed increase and the handle is quite similar to the Grubba. Both are quite cheap so it wont do that much damage to your wallet.

Reactions: iamsan
This user has no status.
hey guys,

last tournament i played against several 1600+ dudes. i was able to keep up with them and return a lot of balls, but in the end they killed me in the rally. i do play for 3 years and i can use the whole repertoire of push, drive loops, opening up loops and power loops. i would consider my skill level to be about 1300 german points. i am kind of a controll dual wing looper. after i ask for tips all said that i need to hit harder and play with more pace.

since then i was working the whole month to play more aggressivly and get more security in my backhand attacks with a good progress imo. now the EJ kicks in. while i like my current setup very much because its a great control setup with BTY Grubba and Donic Baracuda, i consider to go a faster blade and/or harder rubbers.

big pro of my current setup is the ability to be able to play a secure passive game aswell and be able to hit hard and still be safe. the big con is about safety shots beeing too safety and harmless for the opponent, e.g. a drive shot without adding own spin/speed due to reaction.

upgrading the blade would mean a worser passive game, but a better active game. tbh i feel like i am ready to upgrade my 82g Grubba as i advanced in the last 3 years.

now i have the in the title mentioned blades. i prefer to go for the Xiom Offensive S blade with Fastarc G1 rubbers. another consideration would be to upgrade my Grubba with the Fastarc rubbers, but i kinda feel like in the end i have to upgrade to an offensive blade to progress further.

another question: i do own a 7 ply limba blade aswell as an innerforce blade (729 V6). both are quite thick and heavy (92g & 88g). maybe in some years i'm gonna try out these blades. now where is the big difference between them? i feel like the 7 ply blade is faster with hard hits. whats the deal with the IF ALC? i read about ALC decreasing the "trampoline" effect of the wood, still the carbon blades are considered to be faster than allwood blades which confuses me.

FruitLoop is right man, your setup is great. When the higher rated guys would beat you in a rally, was it because they could smash your loops or did they just land 1 more ball on the table than you did? If your loops are too soft you can work on swinging more forward (I had the exact same problem and am working to fix it still) while still keeping your contact within the sponge, not letting the ball go all the way to the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
hey guys,

thanks for your advices.

i am really satisfied with my setup, i lost the rallies because the others looped while i just could counter their balls, thus i was forced to a reactive position which is bad at this level.

after your comments i think i'm gonna stick to it. i just wonder why 1500+ guys already play TBALC with Tenergies on both sides (successfully) while i have to stick to an allround setup... i want to play this great shots i do without the effort i put in right now... on the other side i dont know if i would be more happy to play more passivly without be able to put in all my power without overshoot.

which level would u recommend me to go faster equipment like the mentioned Xiom Offensive S or similar like the Korbel? if i should stick with the Grubba until Pro-level then i might die with that Grubba in my hand :)

is there a big difference between Baracuda and the G1?

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
hey guys,

thanks for your advices.

i am really satisfied with my setup, i lost the rallies because the others looped while i just could counter their balls, thus i was forced to a reactive position which is bad at this level.

after your comments i think i'm gonna stick to it. i just wonder why 1500+ guys already play TBALC with Tenergies on both sides (successfully) while i have to stick to an allround setup... i want to play this great shots i do without the effort i put in right now... on the other side i dont know if i would be more happy to play more passivly without be able to put in all my power without overshoot.

which level would u recommend me to go faster equipment like the mentioned Xiom Offensive S or similar like the Korbel? if i should stick with the Grubba until Pro-level then i might die with that Grubba in my hand :)

I think there is a difference, it is up to you to see whether it fits your game. G1 is the most popular rubber in Japan for a reason.

As for the equipment, you can use a Timo Boll ALC anytime you want to. It just depends on whether it fits your game or not. If you are looping competently and would like to play at more distances, it might be for you. But for most people who aren't playing at high speeds with competent loops, it is a waste of money.

This user has no status.
hey guys,

thanks for your advices.

Most likely they look like they're not putting much effort in because their technique is good enough to look effortless. If you learn to generate good speed with lower effort with your current setup then you'll be able to generate more speed than them when you do upgrade. You could upgrade now if you want, especially since you have the blade, but it may limit your ability to generate power in the future.

Then again if you're playing more for fun than anything you should just do whatever the hell is gonna make you have fun :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
hey guys,

thanks for your advices.

My guess is that a lot of your opponents who sport Tenergy on ALC blades would've progressed a whole lot faster with more sensible setups.

Just one comment about the Korbel. It's an extremely common blade among the advanced kids (10-13 years old) in my club (we're BTY sponsored with discounts which may explain this) but they usually do not pair it with extremely fast tensor rubbers nor spring sponge. The typical setup is Sriver or Xiom Vega Elite.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
putting the fastarc g1 on the grubba feels like putting a v-8 engine into a golf...
but ok... i have to try it out^^

edit: ok, i did put in a brand new G1 on my Grubba. In comparison to my used Baracuda the G1 feels significantly slower thus harder. i have read the G1 seems to be less spin sensitive aswell. with joy i anticipate the today's training.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
ok so first training impression.

without adjusting my technique, the G1 is noticeably faster but less spinnier than the baracuda. the baracuda is more like a "all you can play rubber" while the G1 is a real offensive rubber thus more unforgiving. even with the Grubba i can generate alot of speed with the G1 thus i wont change the blade. i hope the factory tuning will go of quickly cause i dont like it. i guess going harder rubber and keep the blade is the right step.

thanks for all your replies.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
ok so first training impression.

without adjusting my technique, the G1 is noticeably faster but less spinnier than the baracuda. the baracuda is more like a "all you can play rubber" while the G1 is a real offensive rubber thus more unforgiving. even with the Grubba i can generate alot of speed with the G1 thus i wont change the blade. i hope the factory tuning will go of quickly cause i dont like it. i guess going harder rubber and keep the blade is the right step.

thanks for all your replies.

I would actually argue that the G1 is spinnier and faster. Less arc on some shots but arc isn't the only component of spin.

Mastering something like G1 will be a good example of how advanced your technique really is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
yeah u right, with hard opening up loops as well as powerloops i already have a good security for the first time, less with sensitive shots like half-long serves which i could attack with my baracuda. while i would recommend baracuda for everyone, the G1 is another league.

in the end i ask myself if i ever will need another blade because the speed with the G1 is really great even with my lightweight Grubba, which i consider to be ALL.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
yeah u right, with hard opening up loops as well as powerloops i already have a good security for the first time, less with sensitive shots like half-long serves which i could attack with my baracuda. while i would recommend baracuda for everyone, the G1 is another league.

in the end i ask myself if i ever will need another blade because the speed with the G1 is really great even with my lightweight Grubba, which i consider to be ALL.

With those sensitive shots, use thinner contact. As for faster blade, playing distance is one of the considerations.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hey guys.

What are your experience with limba limba ayous blades like the butterfly ones in comparison to the limba ayous ones by stiga or the film off s.

This user has no status.

You've made some good conclusions there. The Grubba blade is still used by Danny Seemiller at a 2400 USATT level. This would be semi pro level.

Ma Long used a Grubba speed blade (violin) at the start of his career and hit rockets. You wouldn't need to change until you were playing at a near national level. Most people use too fast blades. It's extremely rare to have someone use a too slow blade. The one guy I know who did used a defensive blade when he was a modern defender back from the table and he improved a lot when he switched to an Off- speed blade. He's the only one I have ever seen though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Thanks for your reply.
Thus I wont ever need a faster blade, that's kinda weird due to the market. I would say the Grubba is speedwise at the lower end (Like 10%) of the spectrum. Kinda sad if i always read about new equipment.

Reactions: Beep-Beep
This user has no status.
Thanks for your reply.
Thus I wont ever need a faster blade, that's kinda weird due to the market. I would say the Grubba is speedwise at the lower end (Like 10%) of the spectrum. Kinda sad if i always read about new equipment.

TT companies wouldn't make much money if they didn't exploit the ignorance of the general consumer. Just be glad you figured out the scam before you bought into it :cool:

Reactions: Beep-Beep