Table Tennis arm and shoulder injury - Allwood vs Composite

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Too much stuff for me to read all of it. Just too busy.

The Tennis Elbow stretches may not be so good for shoulder issues.

TT can be hard on the shoulder. Especially when everyone wants to copy the FH the way the top CNT players do it with the whole arm.

In TT, when you have a shoulder issue, learning how to do the Timo Boll FH where you don't move your upper arm; instead you use your legs, your hips and the elbow bending to get that forearm snap, that would put A LOT LESS stress on your shoulder.

That being said, it is very hard to learn to isolate your forearm and keep the upper arm stable. But without reading the whole thread and without doing an in person assessment of the shoulder, that would be the first thing I would say.

The CNT FH is excellent but, even if you are training with that from an early age, it can be hard on the shoulder. Just like pitchers in baseball, they train their whole lives for throwing the ball. But many of them end up having surgery. There are certain things our shoulders do not like to do quite so often.

Why is this different than Tennis? I am not 100% sure it is. But if it is:

1) the tennis racket is much heavier than a table tennis racket. I know that sounds backwards. But, think of a boxer throwing punches. The ones where he lands the punch usually don't bother the shoulder. But the ones where the boxer misses can hurt like hell. As a kid I pitched in baseball. When I was throwing a hardball, it was pretty okay. But we would also play with tennis balls. The tennis ball was way lighter. And when I had pitched 5 or 6 innings with a tennis ball, man my shoulder would hate me for days. With the heavier hardball, after 9 innings, my arm would be sore the next day. But it was like I worked out. Not like someone stabbed me in the shoulder. :) The heavier racket hitting into the heavier ball, is a little safer than the TT racket and ball.

2) In a lifetime of training, my money says a TT player hits way more FH strokes than a tennis player of the same level. :)

So, an all forearm FH with the shoulder joint stable will help protect your shoulder.

And Timo can hit a pretty mean FH that way.

Thank you for the answer Carl ;) I used too much shoulder before and my chinese trainer made me improve my FH loop technique and I got much better in that department!

Nice comparision on 1) ! :) and yeah I think that applies to me for sure! Even with SP on BH right now I use more my FH!

Despite he's Chinese, he told me what you said when he was trying to change my FH tehnique. If I continued to loop using too much my shoulder I soon would have to retire because arm injury! He also explained that was the reason that Zhang Jike got his injury, because he used too much shoulder on his FH loop.

Having said that, he changed my FH loop from a long and slow movement and using too much shoulder, where I barely could hit hard, because almost out of timing to such a long movement into a hard and fast FH loop, without shoulder, and much more healthier! :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thank you for the answer Carl ;) I used too much shoulder before and my chinese trainer made me improve my FH loop technique and I got much better in that department!

Nice comparision on 1) ! :) and yeah I think that applies to me for sure! Even with SP on BH right now I use more my FH!

Despite he's Chinese, he told me what you said when he was trying to change my FH tehnique. If I continued to loop using too much my shoulder I soon would have to retire because arm injury! He also explained that was the reason that Zhang Jike got his injury, because he used too much shoulder on his FH loop.

Having said that, he changed my FH loop from a long and slow movement and using too much shoulder, where I barely could hit hard, because almost out of timing to such a long movement into a hard and fast FH loop, without shoulder, and much more healthier! :)

Good technique is good technique. I think a lot of people who see the top players loop don't necessarily see everything that is going on. TT can be a complicated sport. Forearm can accelerate much faster than upper arm. All the top pros actually use that forearm snap. Even when they use the upper arm as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hi there, can you perhaps go into more detail about the adjustments your coach made you do to better your fh motion?

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Hi there, can you perhaps go into more detail about the adjustments your coach made you do to better your fh motion?

First of all, sorry for a late answer, as I wanted to give a nice answer and spend some time on it :) So I'll answer:

Sure, I'll try it! ;) (I'm saying this because I'm afraid I cannot explain me well as my English is not that good eheh )

Basically, what I did before to loop:

- totally open arm;
- no waist rotation;
- my effort was totally made in my arm and shoulder, there was almost no elbow rotation on the stroke;
- stiff grip on the blade.

What that caused me:

- Too much recover time between FH strokes;
- Too much effort on my arm and shoulder;
- Couldn't get a so fast FH loop so I had to compensate with faster blade;
- Could be a reason that made me too FH oriented, as I had no time to recover to use BH.

You can see that here(I'm the younger one).

After get coached by that chinese coach he made me improve the following things:

- Put balance in right leg and bring it to left leg(I'm right-handed);
- Much more waist rotation;
- No upperarm movement, that's was the hardest improvement to me(even more on match play, when out of position);
- He said the rotation in the arm was only on foreharm;
- More knee rotation;
- Always loose grip, and then explode a fraction of time before brushing the ball(like almost release the blade before the touch I guess);
- The knee rotation should go along with the feet palms(don't know it's the correct expression, tell me if you didn't get it this one) rotation;
- As (fortunately, I must say) he "brainwashed" me to use chinese rubber :D, he had to brush every ball with FH.

I have a video here(Also the younger one here) , but in this video I'm using a quite heavy setup, as it's difficult to me to loop :p I'll post a video here as soon as I have an opportunity to record it!

It's some of his advices of FH loop that I've retained!

I cannot say that my technique is perfect as that points I've mentioned, but I think I improved it quite a lot and I know what I have to continue to improve :) Improving my technique made easier to change to a slower blade and use better it's potential. (With that older technique that I had, I've downgraded to a Korbel and the results were awful. No I'm using an AVX BT777 and, despite I would wan't a more solid blade, I can use it pretty well and do some good loops(But nothing compared like a Viscaria a composite blade, but at least I can keep a good feel. It's feels nice to have it when you don't have time to pratice a lot :) )).

Sorry if I didn't explain well, but my English isn't that solid. But if you like you could ask something you didn't understand :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
just saw the 1st video. Well played. Congrats. When i saw the 1st set, i was thinking OMG he's gonna lose bad, because you made many errors (including 3 serves miss iirc) but then i zapped towards the end, and you were the better player I think even though an edge ball and a let made it a bit easier for you in the 4th.

I think you are quite solid once you are on your line. Your long kicked serve was quite good. I think the guy made a mistake to serve BH to you and serve long. I think your weakness was in receive and block game, and in being able to make a good shot after a short stroke. (you don't get back quickly in position, perhaps a balance problem).

And.... I think your FH was good. good control, you were not rushing with it at the end and able to do many in a row until you scored. the guy became also afraid and chose to go a bit away from the table , which made it worse for him.

Good job for you and your coach !

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Your English is just fine, no worries :) The "No upperarm movement" is gonna be a bit hard to fully implement in my game I think, but I'll try. I've had shoulder pain since...August/September if I remember correctly. It started when I practiced bh extensively and heavy lactic acid appeared in the muscle behind the right shoulder. But I kept on going. Now the pain is a lot more intense when I play power strokes with fh, milder on bh as I've tried to get very relaxed in bh stance/motion. I did Naproxen for 14 days, the swollen muscle parts went back to their normal state but the pain has remained in the tendons. Maybe ultra sound and shock wave treatment will help. So I've read. I've played TT perhaps 10 times since September, guess if it's frustrating :)

First of all, sorry for a late answer, as I wanted to give a nice answer and spend some time on it :) So I'll answer:

Sure, I'll try it! ;) (I'm saying this because I'm afraid I cannot explain me well as my English is not that good eheh )

Basically, what I did before to loop:

- totally open arm;
- no waist rotation;
- my effort was totally made in my arm and shoulder, there was almost no elbow rotation on the stroke;
- stiff grip on the blade.

What that caused me:

- Too much recover time between FH strokes;
- Too much effort on my arm and shoulder;
- Couldn't get a so fast FH loop so I had to compensate with faster blade;
- Could be a reason that made me too FH oriented, as I had no time to recover to use BH.

You can see that here(I'm the younger one).

After get coached by that chinese coach he made me improve the following things:

- Put balance in right leg and bring it to left leg(I'm right-handed);
- Much more waist rotation;
- No upperarm movement, that's was the hardest improvement to me(even more on match play, when out of position);
- He said the rotation in the arm was only on foreharm;
- More knee rotation;
- Always loose grip, and then explode a fraction of time before brushing the ball(like almost release the blade before the touch I guess);
- The knee rotation should go along with the feet palms(don't know it's the correct expression, tell me if you didn't get it this one) rotation;
- As (fortunately, I must say) he "brainwashed" me to use chinese rubber :D, he had to brush every ball with FH.

I have a video here(Also the younger one here) , but in this video I'm using a quite heavy setup, as it's difficult to me to loop :p I'll post a video here as soon as I have an opportunity to record it!

It's some of his advices of FH loop that I've retained!

I cannot say that my technique is perfect as that points I've mentioned, but I think I improved it quite a lot and I know what I have to continue to improve :) Improving my technique made easier to change to a slower blade and use better it's potential. (With that older technique that I had, I've downgraded to a Korbel and the results were awful. No I'm using an AVX BT777 and, despite I would wan't a more solid blade, I can use it pretty well and do some good loops(But nothing compared like a Viscaria a composite blade, but at least I can keep a good feel. It's feels nice to have it when you don't have time to pratice a lot :) )).

Sorry if I didn't explain well, but my English isn't that solid. But if you like you could ask something you didn't understand :)

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
just saw the 1st video. Well played. Congrats. When i saw the 1st set, i was thinking OMG he's gonna lose bad, because you made many errors (including 3 serves miss iirc) but then i zapped towards the end, and you were the better player I think even though an edge ball and a let made it a bit easier for you in the 4th.

I think you are quite solid once you are on your line. Your long kicked serve was quite good. I think the guy made a mistake to serve BH to you and serve long. I think your weakness was in receive and block game, and in being able to make a good shot after a short stroke. (you don't get back quickly in position, perhaps a balance problem).

And.... I think your FH was good. good control, you were not rushing with it at the end and able to do many in a row until you scored. the guy became also afraid and chose to go a bit away from the table , which made it worse for him.

Good job for you and your coach !

Thank you for your time! :D

Yeah I remember that game and I had that feeling on the first set also. It was the first time that I've played against him and the last time that I won to him(that was in 2013 eheh). In last season I lost to him 3-2 :p He has a quite fun style to play against!

Yeah, receives and in-game blocking are still my worse characteristics! Receives improved a bit with SP on backhand and with chinese rubber on FH, same about blocking because of SP! But I have a long to improve in this field yet!

Thank you Takkyu! ;)

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Your English is just fine, no worries :) The "No upperarm movement" is gonna be a bit hard to fully implement in my game I think, but I'll try. I've had shoulder pain since...August/September if I remember correctly. It started when I practiced bh extensively and heavy lactic acid appeared in the muscle behind the right shoulder. But I kept on going. Now the pain is a lot more intense when I play power strokes with fh, milder on bh as I've tried to get very relaxed in bh stance/motion. I did Naproxen for 14 days, the swollen muscle parts went back to their normal state but the pain has remained in the tendons. Maybe ultra sound and shock wave treatment will help. So I've read. I've played TT perhaps 10 times since September, guess if it's frustrating :)

Thank you! :) Writing is easier than talking eheh Woow it seems that happened the same to you that happened to me. I had 2 intense pratice weeks to the pain appear, but doesn't hurt me anymore. Yeah it should be frustrating or sure! Hope you find a way to recover well in order to return to systematic pratice! First solid recover then solid pratice! ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks mate :) How did your pain disappear?

Thank you! :) Writing is easier than talking eheh Woow it seems that happened the same to you that happened to me. I had 2 intense pratice weeks to the pain appear, but doesn't hurt me anymore. Yeah it should be frustrating or sure! Hope you find a way to recover well in order to return to systematic pratice! First solid recover then solid pratice! ;)

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Thanks mate :) How did your pain disappear?

No problem! ;) Well two/three weeks of rest the pain disappeared. But I've intensified my pratice for two weeks only. For how much time you intensified your pratice until the pain appeared?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
A few weeks I think. I hired a coach for a few sessions, we did multi ball among other things.

No problem! ;) Well two/three weeks of rest the pain disappeared. But I've intensified my pratice for two weeks only. For how much time you intensified your pratice until the pain appeared?