says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
The 2019 Europe Top 16 Cup is fast approaching and begins on the 2nd February and concludes on the 3rd February. This 2 day event will take place in Montreux, Switzerland. Germany's Timo Boll the leads the men's singles standings.

Main Draw

Coming soon...

Men's Singles Seeds

timoboll2019.jpg

Germany's Timo Boll enters the Europe Top 16 as the #1 seed - Photo by: ITTF

01) Timo Boll
02) Dimitrij Ovtcharov
03) Mattias Falck
04) Liam Pitchford
05) Vladimir Samsonov
06) Jonathon Groth
07) Simon Gauzy
08) Kristian Karlsson
09) Marcos Freitas
10) Emmanuel Lebesson
11) Daniel Habesohn
12) Tiago Apolonia
13) Kou Lei
14) Ovidiu Ionescu
15) Gionis Panagiotis
16) Lionel Weber

Women Singles Seeds

sofiapolcanova2019.jpg

Sofia Polcanova enters the Europe Top 16 as the #1 seed - Photo by: ITTF Flickr

01) Sofia Polcanova
02) Bernadette Szocs
03) Elizabeta Samara
04) Li Jie
05) Petrissa Solja
06) Matilda Ekholm
07) Li Qian
08) Georgina Pota
09) Britt Eerland
10) Polina Mikhailova
11) Ni Xia Lian
12) Nina Mittelham
13) Natalia Partyka
14) Hana Matelova
15) Barbora Balazova
16) Rachel Moret

For confirmed player entries click here.

What a great start to the year with the Hungarian Open last week, and now this week we will see the top European players take part in the Europe Top 16! Number 1, 2, 3 and 4 seeds Dimitrij Ovtcharov, Timo Boll,Mattias Falck and Liam Pitchford will all be looking to take the title. Samsonov and Groth will definitely look to go all the way as well as number 7 seed Simon Gauzy. Kristian Karlsson and Marcos Freitas follow closely as the 7th and 8th seed. A fantastic event to follow, be sure to get involved in the TTD discussions!

We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this spectacular Top 16 event! What are your predictions?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
It's amazing to see Ni Xialian still up there. A unique player, and a long-time nemesis for multiple TT generations

On the other side of the arbitrary gender gap — GO VLADI!

That being said, good to see where Pitch and Kristian K stand these days. And will the French squad manifest itself this time?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Vladi played so well at the Hungarian Open(although he lost his only match) that I hope he can win the Top 16.. If somebody beats Timo before that of course :)

Reactions: akoozab
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Guys, does anyone know why Franziska isn't seeded? Is it cause Germany quotas? Currently I think he is close to number 1 in EU

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
NameAge
Timo Boll37
Dimitrij Ovtcharov30
Mattias Falck27
Liam Pitchford25
Vladimir Samsonov42
Jonathon Groth26
Simon Gauzy24
Kristian Karlsson27
Marcos Freitas30
Emmanuel Lebesson30
Daniel Habesohn32
Tiago Apolonia32
Kou Lei31
Ovidiu Ionescu29
Gionis Panagiotis39
Lionel Weber22

Average age: 30.5 years.

That .. is .. trully SAD ..

Reactions: akoozab
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
That .. is .. trully SAD ..

I Do not think it is so sad, But more logical. It takes longer for the europeans to become good and reach their peak because they start to train alot in a much later age compared to the chinese. They need to get a certain amount of practice before they can become really good. So many europeans are almost at their best between the age of 30 to 40.

But i can still understand What you are saying. It would be much better for european tabletennis if the middle age was much lower. It Will be interesting to see how long Boll can be the best or one of the best in europe when he really is closing in on the age of 40 and even over that. I can agree that, it is sad that the best Guy in europé is almost 40.

Reactions: Dr Evil
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I Do not think it is so sad, But more logical. It takes longer for the europeans to become good and reach their peak because they start to train alot in a much later age compared to the chinese. They need to get a certain amount of practice before they can become really good. So many europeans are almost at their best between the age of 30 to 40.

But i can still understand What you are saying. It would be much better for european tabletennis if the middle age was much lower. It Will be interesting to see how long Boll can be the best or one of the best in europe when he really is closing in on the age of 40 and even over that. I can agree that, it is sad that the best Guy in europé is almost 40.

Well I also think it's sad cause Europe hasn't had any new talents for the past 10-20 years. Boll won the World Cup in 2002 when he was only 21, Vladi was #1 at the age of 21 or 22 I think, Maze(not long career because of traumas) won the Europe top 12 when he was 23(or 24) and the next year finished third in the World Champs..
In my opinion real talents reveal themselves early too. Not in the age of 30. In that age they still maintain their class and status and should be challenged by the next generation. I can't see such talents in Europe for now and the fact that the average age in the top 16 is above 30 years just confirms the situation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
NameAge
Timo Boll37
Dimitrij Ovtcharov30
Mattias Falck27
Liam Pitchford25
Vladimir Samsonov42
Jonathon Groth26
Simon Gauzy24
Kristian Karlsson27
Marcos Freitas30
Emmanuel Lebesson30
Daniel Habesohn32
Tiago Apolonia32
Kou Lei31
Ovidiu Ionescu29
Gionis Panagiotis39
Lionel Weber22

Average age: 30.5 years.

Hi,

Thank you for the list.

So, where are the teenagers like you see in Asia?

Thanks,