Leszek Kucharski teaches a backhand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Even the forehand is not that distinctive IMO but I will leave it at that. The question is always what are you looking at.

Seems like a nice start of a tt wars, but fh is very distinctive ... ; ) at least was till plastics. Now it's probably changing a little, if you had a closer look.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Seems like a nice start of a tt wars, but fh is very distinctive ... ; ) at least was till plastics. Now it's probably changing a little, if you had a closer look.

A lot of the distinction is the speed and nature of the equipment and the fact that Europeans tend to train in structure later than the Chinese. But the essentials are the same. The Chinese also use better short game to get an early attack so they get easier chances to put away forehand.

In 2015, Ma Long started doing a grip switch for his backhand that is very similar to the one that Boll or Dima do and no one was saying that Ma Long is copying Timo Boll. In the end, it all depends on what you are looking at.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
A lot of the distinction is the speed and nature of the equipment and the fact that Europeans tend to train in structure later than the Chinese. But the essentials are the same. The Chinese also use better short game to get an early attack so they get easier chances to put away forehand.

In 2015, Ma Long started doing a grip switch for his backhand that is very similar to the one that Boll or Dima do and no one was saying that Ma Long is copying Timo Boll. In the end, it all depends on what you are looking at.

Sure, but you certainly must acknowledge the physical aspects of this stroke ans substantial body movement being involved. Zhang Jike could be a good example, very low on his legs relatively with an open arm. Comparing him with Timo (to make it easier) seems the technique wise these were two different worlds ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sure, but you certainly must acknowledge the physical aspects of this stroke ans substantial body movement being involved. Zhang Jike could be a good example, very low on his legs relatively with an open arm. Comparing him with Timo (to make it easier) seems the technique wise these were two different worlds ...

Not sure what you are trying to say. That Timo Boll is not low on his legs? Or that Timo cannot play with a more open arm if his equipment was slower? Or that Timo does not use substantial body movement when playing his stroke?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Ma Long also did an equipment change going from T05 to H3 on his bh. That made his bh from *eh* to *wow*

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Not sure what you are trying to say. That Timo Boll is not low on his legs? Or that Timo cannot play with a more open arm if his equipment was slower? Or that Timo does not use substantial body movement when playing his stroke?

No no, I'm not saying Timo could not do that, if he was using something slower (would he be as effective, hard to say). Looking at the basic fh stroke, you certainly must agree they drop their arm much lower and the power is generated differently, by using legs and hips to a much higher degree ... Timo would get low on his legs true, but than use his forearm and the wrist. But this is what has crystallized in my head back in the cell era. Things are slightly changing now, for sure ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
No no, I'm not saying Timo could not do that, if he was using something slower (would he be as effective, hard to say). Looking at the basic fh stroke, you certainly must agree they drop their arm much lower and the power is generated differently, by using legs and hips to a much higher degree ... Timo would get low on his legs true, but than use his forearm and the wrist. But this is what has crystallized in my head back in the cell era. Things are slightly changing now, for sure ...

Yeah the plastic ball is harder to move. And Chinese coaches are now everywhere. That is why I am saying that these things have gone now. People should just start understanding good technique and understand the special uniqueness of someone like Timo or Maze with excessive wrist rather than making it sound like Ma Long is from Mars and Timo is from Venus.

Reactions: doppelganger_LT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ma Long also did an equipment change going from T05 to H3 on his bh. That made his bh from *eh* to *wow*

I heard that they use different rubbers and can go between H3 and Tenergy. But yes, that changed too. But the technical change was far more pronounced, I remember a couple of people wondering whether Ma Long was playing like an amateur with his thumb so high and flat on the rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Yeah the plastic ball is harder to move. And Chinese coaches are now everywhere. That is why I am saying that these things have gone now. People should just start understanding good technique and understand the special uniqueness of someone like Timo or Maze with excessive wrist rather than making it sound like Ma Long is from Mars and Timo is from Venus.

Funny, because this is a backhand topic, but it would be interesting to check how CNT adopted their fh technique, their practice routines for the 'plastics'. I have a friend who was very good in punching balls, he has this short forearm and wrist movement, like a lightening. I think, he is doing much better now with the abs'es. Before he had problems countering the rotation, now it almost a routine for him.