Dropping bat when FH against block or topspin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What you guys think of bolls fh loop? Very good and efficient and that is the most important. I feel that he Do not loop as i consider a great technical loop or atleast somewhat different compared to alot of players. I think he have a much nicer backhand technically.

He proably uses some body, But Do not look like much so it is impressive that he can generate so much power by using little body and the arm a Lot. Do feel that it would be a strain for his arm since t looks like alot of the power comes from using the arm and not very much from the body. I also notice that he Do not have much forehand feet.

Do you guys think he have less forehand feet because the game is fast today and because he Do not need it since he Maybe stay closer to the table and counteratrack more with the new ball? Do you think he has changed his swing to less body and more arm since he Maybe stats closer to the table with the new ball and tries to counteratrack more?

This user has no status.
If you backswing the racket directly back to where you want to start your forward swing on the forehand, you have to bring the racket to a complete stop before starting the forward swing, and so you start your forward swing from a stopped position. By dropping the racket and going through a semi-circular motion, when you start your forward swing the racket is already moving and so you have more power. (The same principle applies on the backhand.) Note how he also brings his racket in toward his body during his backswing, which gives a quicker backswing, then extends the arm some for the forward swing, adding power.
-Larry Hodges

Wouldn't natural stretch reflex of muscles produce the same effect?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Wouldn't natural stretch reflex of muscles produce the same effect?
Definitely. The muscle "slingshot" effect you refer to is used in all advanced looping techniques. The lack of this is perhaps the most common reason for a lack of power among weaker players, who do the shot more mechanically.
-Larry Hodges

Reactions: FruitLoop
What you guys think of bolls fh loop? Very good and efficient and that is the most important. I feel that he Do not loop as i consider a great technical loop or atleast somewhat different compared to alot of players. I think he have a much nicer backhand technically.

He proably uses some body, But Do not look like much so it is impressive that he can generate so much power by using little body and the arm a Lot. Do feel that it would be a strain for his arm since t looks like alot of the power comes from using the arm and not very much from the body. I also notice that he Do not have much forehand feet.

Do you guys think he have less forehand feet because the game is fast today and because he Do not need it since he Maybe stay closer to the table and counteratrack more with the new ball? Do you think he has changed his swing to less body and more arm since he Maybe stats closer to the table with the new ball and tries to counteratrack more?

Are these questions about the OP video?
If yes, I'd repeat my first post.
For me there is no "if" or any other hypothetical reasons here.
Its just the right way of the particular excersize.
Matchplay, strategy, situation, decision - its another story.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Timo Boll actually achieves the same thing as the Iranian player in the original post by using a whipping motion with his wrist. So he never actually stops during the take back. Or if he does, he times his acceleration to make a quick backswing with the wrist and body before coming forward. It is the kind of technique that maybe only one other player I can think of comes close to doing (Maze) and is highly specialized. I don't think any coach could teach it.

I actually think with whe new ball he is actually using more body than you think. But this is my view, everyone sees something different based on all the posts I have seen so far.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think that this forehand technique you describe is what Timo Boll does which to be honest looks efficient.

https://youtu.be/9x4AmMcXgSI

I think the camera angle qnd aspects of Boll's technique is giving a wrong impression of what is happening. Boll is going something very similar. He just doesn't use as much core rotation for his stroke as most people so it is harder to see.