USA Lily Zhang new equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So I guess you are just saying, hey its easy to switch
close your eyes, pick up a random bat, and then yes - that is called switching - a quick few seconds needed
whether you hit the ball in or not, is another topic
correct?

I'm just answering:
It isn't that easy to switch.
Players takes months to adapt.
full stop
So you think that in 2019, they cant figure out what a player will like based on the material they previously used?

No one is going to give Lily something completely different from what she is currently using. I suspect as well she has been testing stuff already.

So this is where I agree with yoi:
Players *can* take months to adapt or never adapt and go back. This is often the case as Freitas and Appolonia have demonstrated. William Henzell liked Vega Pro over T05 for a while but switched back.

Sometimes players can adapt more quickly if the equipment is a better for them. This is less often the case but is more possible if the equipment is similar but plays to their strengths. Paul Drinkhall adapted to MX-P quickly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
So you think that in 2019, they cant figure out what a player will like based on the material they previously used?

No one is going to give Lily something completely different from what she is currently using. I suspect as well she has been testing stuff already.

So this is where I agree with yoi:
Players *can* take months to adapt or never adapt and go back. This is often the case as Freitas and Appolonia have demonstrated. William Henzell liked Vega Pro over T05 for a while but switched back.

Sometimes players can adapt more quickly if the equipment is a better for them. This is less often the case but is more possible if the equipment is similar but plays to their strengths. Paul Drinkhall adapted to MX-P quickly.

I would say I have a lot more equipment insight then your average Joes here
so of course I will know it is 2019, and I would know that these companies can figure out what is better for the player.
Some of these companies (i'm not sure about Joola) could customize a blade with ease for the player. (I once had in my hand a customised played of one of my players)
Rubbers they can't customise too much, but in a nutshell, all "updates", the player would still require TIME to familiarise with it, work on it etc. and then maybe go back and ask for "tweeks" and then the cycle of testing starts again....

That is why I say, this is not a quick process, it will take TIME and could be many months until the pairing is a possibility of "good"
therefore, when it is a long process, it is not a easy "quick" change like EJ here.
I am stating facts with what I have seen and heard.
I also know of world top 50 players (male and female) that haven't change rubbers due to "not having enough time" before the next major tournament.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
March 10 2019

Division 1 Women Bundesliga League

Lily's 3rd place team Bingen 5-5 Berlin Eastside 1st place team

World Ranked #76 - Lily results

Doubles 0-3 Berlin
Game scores 6 7 6

Lily 3-1 Nina Mittelham World Ranked #54
Game scores 6 5 -9 8

Lily 0-3 Xiaona Shan World Ranked #312
Game scores 6 5 6

If she has changed to Joola rubber now, I am guessing she is using Rhyzer Pro 50 or 48.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hi,

As to the switching challenge: at the highest level of play, the standard of shot that must be addressed is very high, as is the requirements to produce that standard of shot. In both cases, premier precision in the context of exceptional racket speeds that characterize the top level demands an intimate relationship with one's racket, which is the greatest motivation for seemingly incessant drive to improve the marriage of the player and the racket.

My contacts from spots around the table tennis world indicated to me that both the in-professional-league-season period and the pending World Championships are suppressing the Dignics adoption by the professional class. Later in the Spring this will change.

Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Lily seems to have trouble with unconventional pips and anti players.

March 10, 2019 Bundesliga League play.
Lily 0-3 Xiaona Shan World Ranked #312 lost 6 5 6 plays penhold using short pips, a video of her style.

https://youtu.be/0pB789yIJpc

you are aware that Shan was a former world top 20 player, her highest was almost reaching top10
she took leave from TT for her new born, her wr is a joke, but lily loosing to a world top 20 caliber player shouldn't be a shock

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
you are aware that Shan was a former world top 20 player, her highest was almost reaching top10
she took leave from TT for her new born, her wr is a joke, but lily loosing to a world top 20 caliber player shouldn't be a shock

I think most people know this, loopadoop is a minor exception.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Michael Maze and Kreanga were top players too, when they were Younger. Xiaona Shan is age 37 now. Sure a former top player, in the twilight of their career can still play. Rankings are what they are.
In other words, Timo Boll was a top ranked player when he was younger. He is now 38. The main reason his ranking is high is that he still plays. If he only played in the German League, he would be like Xiona Shan.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Every aging player is different, based on a lot of factors, including style. Timo Boll is an exception to the rule not the norm for an aging player.

And Xiona Shan is an exception as well. She just doesn't play on tour or she would be a higher rated player than Lily Zhang.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Rankings are what they are.

So you must be the lead ITTF ranking fanboy, people on the forum would know I am totally against such stupid calculation

are you aware than Shan had a baby
she took part in 0 world tours in 2018, she had no points, that is why she got a stupid low rank

In 2017 while she was still active, she actively finish in the top32/top16
surely you would figure out that she isn't a world rank 3xx player, but rather a level that Lily has yet reached...

yes, she took 1 year break and is now back in the scene and seems like she is still reaching R32....

So give it a few more months, she will be back inside top 100/50

if you only take ranking point without the knowledge of the players participation history (of which the new system favours), then you would not understand why a WR500 player can beat WR100

Reactions: Der_Echte