USA Lily Zhang new equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
So you must be the lead ITTF ranking fanboy, people on the forum would know I am totally against such stupid calculation

are you aware than Shan had a baby
she took part in 0 world tours in 2018, she had no points, that is why she got a stupid low rank

In 2017 while she was still active, she actively finish in the top32/top16
surely you would figure out that she isn't a world rank 3xx player, but rather a level that Lily has yet reached...

yes, she took 1 year break and is now back in the scene and seems like she is still reaching R32....

So give it a few more months, she will be back inside top 100/50

if you only take ranking point without the knowledge of the players participation history (of which the new system favours), then you would not understand why a WR500 player can beat WR100

It is not unreasonable to view Xiaona Shan as the best European women's player playing today. While Lily is an impressive and wonderful competitor, Xiaona Shan is better than Lily and can certainly beat anybody in Europe. As Lily improves in her very-early-yet professional career, she will do better against Xiaona Shan in their next encounter, however it would be a major win for Lily if she is ever successful against a player with such a strong background.

Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
It is not unreasonable to view Xiaona Shan as the best European women's player playing today. While Lily is an impressive and wonderful competitor, Xiaona Shan is better than Lily and can certainly beat anybody in Europe. As Lily improves in her very-early-yet professional career, she will do better against Xiaona Shan in their next encounter, however it would be a major win for Lily if she is ever successful against a player with such a strong background.

Thanks.

correct
this is what going Professional is all about.
Lily has a lot to learn, a far way to improve
She will only become better with experience and improvement
This is good for her and USA table tennis

Hopefully as a career, she is able to do it for the next 10-15 years and allow more juniors to follow the same pathway

a comparison between the last 8 matches recorded for the world ranking by both players

Year/Month Player Assoc Tournament Total Points Final Pos.

No records
2019-01 SHAN Xiaona ^ GER 2019 - ITTF World Tour, Hungarian Open, Budapest (HUN) 720 Rnd of 16
2019-02 SHAN Xiaona ^ GER 2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Portugal Open, Lisbon (POR) 220 Rnd of 64

Display # 5 10 15 20 25 30 50 100 Total: 8

No records
2017-05 ZHANG Lily USA 2017 - World Table Tennis Championships, Dusseldorf (GER) 1500 Rnd of 32
2018-11 ZHANG Lily USA 2018 - ITTF Panam Championships, Santiago (CHI) 1260 QF
2018-04 ZHANG Lily USA 2018 - World Team Table Tennis Championships, Halmstad (SWE) 970 Team
2018-11 ZHANG Lily USA 2018 - World Tour, Swedish Open, Stockholm (SWE) 360 Qual. 2nd Last
2019-02 ZHANG Lily USA 2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Portugal Open, Lisbon (POR) 330 Rnd of 32
2019-01 ZHANG Lily USA 2019 - ITTF World Tour, Hungarian Open, Budapest (HUN) 270 Qual. Rnd of 64
2018-12 ZHANG Lily USA 2018 - US Open, Florida, Orlando (USA) 270 Runner-up
2018-03 ZHANG Lily USA 2018 - Challenge, Spanish Open, Guadalajara (ESP) 225 Rnd of 32

No records
2017-05 ZHANG Lily USA 2017 - World Table Tennis Championships, Dusseldorf (GER) 1500 Rnd of 32
2018-04 ZHANG Lily USA 2018 - World Team Table Tennis Championships, Halmstad (SWE) 970 Team
2018-11 ZHANG Lily USA 2018 - World Tour, Swedish Open, Stockholm (SWE) 360 Qual. 2nd Last
2019-02 ZHANG Lily USA 2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Portugal Open, Lisbon (POR) 330 Rnd of 32
2019-01 ZHANG Lily USA 2019 - ITTF World Tour, Hungarian Open, Budapest (HUN) 270 Qual. Rnd of 64
2018-03 ZHANG Lily USA 2018 - Challenge, Spanish Open, Guadalajara (ESP) 225 Rnd of 32

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
correct
this is what going Professional is all about.
Lily has a lot to learn, a far way to improve
She will only become better with experience and improvement
This is good for her and USA table tennis

Hopefully as a career, she is able to do it for the next 10-15 years and allow more juniors to follow the same pathway

a comparison between the last 8 matches recorded for the world ranking by both players

No records
2019-01 SHAN Xiaona ^ GER 2019 - ITTF World Tour, Hungarian Open, Budapest (HUN) 720 Rnd of 16
2019-02 SHAN Xiaona ^ GER 2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Portugal Open, Lisbon (POR) 220 Rnd of 64

Display # 5 10 15 20 25 30 50 100 Total: 8

No records

No records

Thank you for your post!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Guys guys guys ...

I think most people know this, loopadoop is a minor exception.

Again and again ... NextLevel, why would you be so sarcastic ... ? ; )

Michael Maze and Kreanga were top players too, when they were Younger. Xiaona Shan is age 37 now. Sure a former top player, in the twilight of their career can still play. Rankings are what they are.

Loopadoop, I know you want to save your case ... : ) but there's no need to. Shan Xiaona to the very recent years was consistently causing troubles to the top European women players, beating many of them, so against Lily, not knowing her 'funny' ranking I would place my bets on Shan for sure.

I sometimes make such premature assumptions too and it's not nice if somebody jumps on you because of this little mistake ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Guys guys guys ...

Again and again ... NextLevel, why would you be so sarcastic ... ? ; )

Loopadoop, I know you want to save your case ... : ) but there's no need to. Shan Xiaona to the very recent years was consistently causing troubles to the top European women players, beating many of them, so against Lily, not knowing her 'funny' ranking I would place my bets on Shan for sure.

I sometimes make such premature assumptions too and it's not nice if somebody jumps on you because of this little mistake ...

Because he is trying to use this example to argue that good players can lose to lesser players and that there should be player selection by committee in the USA. He can argue this, but not researching the example is why I am not giving charity.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Because he is trying to use this example to argue that good players can lose to lesser players and that there should be player selection by committee in the USA. He can argue this, but not researching the example is why I am not giving charity.

Sure blind charity is not wise and not even good ... but sarcasm should be used very carefully ...
"good players can lose to lesser players" - well I assume by "a good" player you mean technically accomplished, tactically smart, athletic ... but as you know there may be other factors, like being mentally weak, not being wormed up enough, coming from the injury, etc. Sometimes 'better' players loose in the early rounds to those who had to play qualifications, as they were 'warmed up' by those matches.

"that there should be player selection by committee in the USA" - I know there have been some controversy in the USATT about that. Didn't read those topics, but I was quite vocal about the JNT selection process and it's certain aspects that lead to the Hayata's singles absence ... I was advocating for 1 place should be a wild card given by coaches, because head to head matches, specially within the team won't tell you who can perform better against the 'outside' world ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Muhammad Saim
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sure blind charity is not wise and not even good ... but sarcasm should be used very carefully ...
"good players can lose to lesser players" - well I assume by "a good" player you mean technically accomplished, tactically smart, athletic ... but as you know there may be other factors, like being mentally weak, not being wormed up enough, coming from the injury, etc. Sometimes 'better' players loose in the early rounds to those who had to play qualifications, as they were 'warmed up' by those matches.

"that there should be player selection by committee in the USA" - I know there have been some controversy in the USATT about that. Didn't read those topics, but I was quite vocal about the JNT selection process and it's certain aspects that lead to the Hayata's singles absence ... I was advocating for 1 place should be a wild card given by coaches, because head to head matches, specially within the team won't tell you who can perform better against the 'outside' world ... That said ... WTTC is a individual so within a team elimination should be the main factor, but 1 out of 5 spots could by a coaches pick, based on the exceptionally good results of a particular player, not documented in the ranking imho ... or let it be a long running, round robin type selection for everybody ...

Okay, jawien. Thanks for the enlightenment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Okay, jawien. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Ahh ... ok I was probably preachy ... but imho it's far better to just reinforce what knowledgeable guys are saying and present arguments, rather that direct remarks ... no wander Loopadoop went into defensive mode ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ahh ... ok I was probably preachy ... but imho it's far better to just reinforce what knowledgeable guys are saying and present arguments, rather that direct remarks ... no wander Loopadoop went into defensive mode ...

Loopadoop is someone who is a regular player across many forums and has Facebook thing going. Sometimes it is easy to enter an issue or discussion in the middle and say things that show you don't have the full story.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Loopadoop is someone who is a regular player across many forums and has Facebook thing going. Sometimes it is easy to enter an issue or discussion in the middle and say things that show you don't have the full story.

I'm just here ... sorry then NextLevel, didn't know you guys are on the crusade ...
; )

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017

But I write about what I see here, you do not want me to have the knowledge about all the tt forums ... do you?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
She lost 2 matches 2-3 today vs Anrochte of Bundesliga Division 1 in the German League. Her opponents before today's matches were 7-5 and 5-5 in league.

Her team won the match today 6-4.

Lily's losses above were on February 24, 2019 to:

Aimei Wang
Qi Shi

I can't find either player even listed in the World Rankings.

Does anyone know these players ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Lily's losses above were on February 24, 2019 to:

Aimei Wang
Qi Shi

I can't find either player even listed in the World Rankings.

Does anyone know these players ?

Awwww Loopi, didn't we just find out that the ranking doesn't always reflect the player's true playing abilities?
[Emoji6]

And even though neither of both of these ladies hardly played international tournaments nor for any National team lately they still know how to hit a ball well.

So there's absolutely no shame that Lily didn't beat these two players. Both of them have already beaten stronger players.

Qi Shi has been playing 1. Damen Bundesliga and 2nd Damen Bundesliga since 2013 and has had pretty good results in this time.

Aimei Wang has already played 1. Damen Bundesliga 2010 and 2011 and also managed to become West German Champion (regional tournament) in 2011 and 2013.
And even though she's the same age as me (47!) she still plays well enough to compete in 1. Damen Bundesliga.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015

Before you make statements like this, you should have the full story too, read my latest post and suga D latest.

Febuary 24, 2019, Lily Zhang lost to 2 average players in the Bundesliga Division 1, per their match record at the time, one of them was age 47. Of course anyone playing in that league is good but neither has anything even remotely close to the world ranking history of Xiaona Shan.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Before you make statements like this, you should have the full story too, read my latest post and suga D latest.

Febuary 24, 2019, Lily Zhang lost to 2 average players in the Bundesliga Division 1, per their match record at the time, one of them was age 47. Of course anyone playing in that league is good but neither has anything even remotely close to the world ranking history of Xiaona Shan.

Loopadoop,

The leagues in Germany usually allow only the best foreign talent they can find in any of the divisions. This helps then grow their players as well as keep a high level.of TT on display. These could be high level provincial players who for various reasons tied to how the ITTF restricts eligibility when you emigrate never got to play for Germany or where not the nest foreigners so never seriously tried. There are lots of Asian (Chinese) women that similarly fit the bill all over the world.

Just playing in the league is enough to say that Lily.is going in a good direction. After all, she played the trials this year and went undefeated. Not.sure what your problem with her is.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
NextLevel said
Not.sure what your problem with her is.

I don't have a problem with her. Just report the facts of her matches. I actually admire her play.

She did win all her matches in the Pan Am Trials, but had tough matches vs youngsters Amy Wang and Crystal Wang. She could have lost both of those matches. Go watch them. Let them get a little more maturity, they might beat her if playing for an Olympic team spot for the 2020 games.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hi,

The best perspective on Lily today, right now, is that she is a professional rookie, just after grinding through four years at an elite university, Berkeley. Under these considerations, she seems to be playing well to me, to be close to playing in the middle standard of the highest division in Germany. I'm impressed.

Thanks.