Tihbar K2 review: Hurricane 3 subs with similar feeling, more speed and no boosting

Background
First about myself, I was using W968 + H3 39 orange sponge (FH) + H3 37 orange sponge (BH).
I like to use sticky rubber on both side. But feel that H3 37 is a bit hard to control, espiecially in blocking.

I’ve tried different BH tacky rubber to replace H3 37. I want something with a little more speed, and more control, but still keep the characteristics of tacky rubber.

I've tried the following

Nittaku Hurricane 3 Turbo Orange
-- First this is heavy, even heavier than my FH rubber. Second, I think it is not linear. To play with small to medium power, it feels quite hard and ball goes under the net. But when playing with higher power, you feel it suddenly hit through the sponge, and the ball goes out. In full power, it doesn't really grab the ball to generate spin. It just gives me a weird feeling for such non-linear behaviour.

Skyling 3-60 --- This is really slow. First time I tried, I switched to FH to play FH drive. I feel the ball literally float over the net, as if I am playing pimple. To slow for me.
I wanted to try Hurricane 3-50 before, but some one told me it has similar feeling as Skyline 3-60 so I give up.

Tihbar Hybrid K2

I’ve heard the Tihbar K1 series before. There are different versions, but in most reviews, people don’t like K1.
Until K2 released late last year, There are some positive review about it. That’s why I decided to try it.

Here are my feelings:

Equipment :
DHS W968 + H3 national 2.2 39 (three layer of glue + one layer of seamoon booster) + Tihbar K2. I switch both side to feel the difference.

K2 topsheet and sponge

Sticky topsheet + high density, not that porous sponge. (I don’t know what you call the sponge)
The topsheet is slightly less tackier than H3.
I havan't took pictures, so I use someone else's picture to show the sponge.
4330_P_1540253850521.jpg

You can also see the detail of topsheet and sponge here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROwpoFEzsWA

Forehand, Full power topspin:

K2 is less spinny than H3.
While topspin full power with H3, if I switch to the K2 side but still keep the same movement, swing and power, the ball will be out, with a big sound.

When do full power swing, K2 has less dwell time than H3 orange, and less spin. I will need to slightly change my technique - less brush, more hit, in order to spin the ball on the table using K2. Also, the arc and second bounce is not as threat as H3 orange sponge.
This is the comparison between K2 and H3 orange sponge. As H3 blue sponge is even more spinny, K2 can't compare with H3 blue sponge in spin eigher.

Spin H3 Orange > K2
Speed K2>H3 Orange

Forehand, medium power topspin:

This is more like a amateur game situation, as if you are not in full position to swing, or when you loop the half long, or when you cross step to save some point.

Under such power, I can play H3 and K2 with same movement and swing without the need to change anything. They can both loop similar ball on the table. That is to say, I can loop as many balls as I want, with same stroke with whatever side I use. They will be all on the table.
Such, I can say K2 has achieved a similar feeling as H3 at such power.

But there is one notable difference , your hand feedback is not the same. K2, you feel more vibration, feels like some first or second generation tensor rubber like Donic JO, while H3 is less vibration and murdy.

Conclusion for K2 on FH side:
K2 is like H3 with a little less spin and a little more speed. The difference in spin and speed is a little bit like Tenergy 05 and 64. H3 has better arc, spin (05) while K2 faster in speed and need a bit more hit in stroke(64).

But most important, K2 doesn’t need boosting, while still has the similar feeling as a boosted H3.

If you are FH based player and rely on more brush style full power FH swing using H3, K2 is probably not good for you. as it is not as threat as H3.
But if your games falls more into medium power range or your technique is more half hit half brush style (like those who use viscaria), K2 is a good H3 alternative, which doesn’t need boosting.

K2 on BH

For BH drive and spin, K2 gives me similar feeling as H3. Sometimes I feel K2 is more consistent than 37 H3 on my BH.
For 37 H3, in small-medium power range, you are basically using the sticky topsheet to grab the ball. But in medium-full power range, you need to sink the ball into sponge, using both topsheet + sponge to spin the ball. Thus it requires more technique adjustment when using 37 H3 under different power.

But for K2, you can feel that it uses both topsheet + sponge to grab the ball through small-medium range to medium-full range. Thus it makes K2 more consistent in my BH stroke.

Regarding feeling on my BH, I have no problem switching from 37 H3 to K2. They feel so similar. One reason for that is my BH is not as good as FH, so I don’t do BH full power stroke a lot. My BH falls mainly in small and medium power range. In this range, K2 doesn’t require any technique change.

Training + game

Earlier this week, after I tried two hours with K2 on my backhand with robot, I decided to use it in league game. As it has similar feeling as H3, I think I don’t need further adaptation and felt confident to use it in the game.

Before the game, I have 40 minutes training with my teammate. What K2 on BH gave me is , a better control than 37 H3 on BH. This is reflected on BH open up and blocking, especially blocking. When block against some of my teammate’s full power pure brush ‘banana topspin’, I feel much more confidence to block with K2 than 37 H3. I think this is because of the less tacky topsheet.

When blocking, K2 is faster in speed than H3, and with a lower arc.

The increase in control is the biggest surprise K2 gives me. I am more confidence in BH rally during the game.

Also during the game, K2 doesn’t feel like a new rubber for me. I use it in the game using same technique as I am using 37 H3. I don’t fee I made more unforced mistakes. You know, when you try a new rubber or blade, if the rubber has a different characteristics, you will make more mistake than usual as you haven’t used to the new rubber. But K2 doesn’t give me such feeling, that why I say, that Tihbar did a good job in K2, making it similar feeling as H3.

Touch game

K2 keeps the sticky rubber touch feeling -- shorter and better than non-tacky rubbers. But my opponent so far don’t really play touch game. So up to this point, I haven’t feel a distinct difference between K2 and H3 in touch game as I don’t have enough testing.

Final solution

K2 is somehow similar to H3 orange sponge, and it doesn’t requires boosting.
At medium power range, you can switch seamless between H3 orange and K2.
At full power range, K2 generate less spin but more speed than H3 orange. You will need to change your technique slightly. Just like switching from Tenergy 05 to 64 or 80.

K2 has better control than H3.

If you like H3 but doesn’t like constant boosting, K2 is a good alternative.
If you like to play stick rubber, but think H3 is a bit hard to control, you can try K2.

There is only one problem, K2 seems to be only available to Asian market (China for sure, not sure whether Korea or Japan have it). I need a friend to bring it to me. I am not sure when Tihbar will lease it to the other market.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Background
First about myself, I was using W968 + H3 39 orange sponge (FH) + H3 37 orange sponge (BH).
I like to use sticky rubber on both side. But feel that H3 37 is a bit hard to control, espiecially in blocking.

I’ve tried different BH tacky rubber to replace H3 37. I want something with a little more speed, and more control, but still keep the characteristics of tacky rubber.

I've tried the following

Nittaku Hurricane 3 Turbo Orange
-- First this is heavy, even heavier than my FH rubber. Second, I think it is not linear. To play with small to medium power, it feels quite hard and ball goes under the net. But when playing with higher power, you feel it suddenly hit through the sponge, and the ball goes out. In full power, it doesn't really grab the ball to generate spin. It just gives me a weird feeling for such non-linear behaviour.

Skyling 3-60 --- This is really slow. First time I tried, I switched to FH to play FH drive. I feel the ball literally float over the net, as if I am playing pimple. To slow for me.
I wanted to try Hurricane 3-50 before, but some one told me it has similar feeling as Skyline 3-60 so I give up.

Tihbar Hybrid K2

I’ve heard the Tihbar K1 series before. There are different versions, but in most reviews, people don’t like K1.
Until K2 released late last year, There are some positive review about it. That’s why I decided to try it.

Here are my feelings:

Equipment :
DHS W968 + H3 national 2.2 39 (three layer of glue + one layer of seamoon booster) + Tihbar K2. I switch both side to feel the difference.

K2 topsheet and sponge

Sticky topsheet + high density, not that porous sponge. (I don’t know what you call the sponge)
The topsheet is slightly less tackier than H3.
I havan't took pictures, so I use someone else's picture to show the sponge.
View attachment 18487

You can also see the detail of topsheet and sponge here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROwpoFEzsWA

Forehand, Full power topspin:

K2 is less spinny than H3.
While topspin full power with H3, if I switch to the K2 side but still keep the same movement, swing and power, the ball will be out, with a big sound.

When do full power swing, K2 has less dwell time than H3 orange, and less spin. I will need to slightly change my technique - less brush, more hit, in order to spin the ball on the table using K2. Also, the arc and second bounce is not as threat as H3 orange sponge.
This is the comparison between K2 and H3 orange sponge. As H3 blue sponge is even more spinny, K2 can't compare with H3 blue sponge in spin eigher.

Spin H3 Orange > K2
Speed K2>H3 Orange

Forehand, medium power topspin:

This is more like a amateur game situation, as if you are not in full position to swing, or when you loop the half long, or when you cross step to save some point.

Under such power, I can play H3 and K2 with same movement and swing without the need to change anything. They can both loop similar ball on the table. That is to say, I can loop as many balls as I want, with same stroke with whatever side I use. They will be all on the table.
Such, I can say K2 has achieved a similar feeling as H3 at such power.

But there is one notable difference , your hand feedback is not the same. K2, you feel more vibration, feels like some first or second generation tensor rubber like Donic JO, while H3 is less vibration and murdy.

Conclusion for K2 on FH side:
K2 is like H3 with a little less spin and a little more speed. The difference in spin and speed is a little bit like Tenergy 05 and 64. H3 has better arc, spin (05) while K2 faster in speed and need a bit more hit in stroke(64).

But most important, K2 doesn’t need boosting, while still has the similar feeling as a boosted H3.

If you are FH based player and rely on more brush style full power FH swing using H3, K2 is probably not good for you. as it is not as threat as H3.
But if your games falls more into medium power range or your technique is more half hit half brush style (like those who use viscaria), K2 is a good H3 alternative, which doesn’t need boosting.

K2 on BH

For BH drive and spin, K2 gives me similar feeling as H3. Sometimes I feel K2 is more consistent than 37 H3 on my BH.
For 37 H3, in small-medium power range, you are basically using the sticky topsheet to grab the ball. But in medium-full power range, you need to sink the ball into sponge, using both topsheet + sponge to spin the ball. Thus it requires more technique adjustment when using 37 H3 under different power.

But for K2, you can feel that it uses both topsheet + sponge to grab the ball through small-medium range to medium-full range. Thus it makes K2 more consistent in my BH stroke.

Regarding feeling on my BH, I have no problem switching from 37 H3 to K2. They feel so similar. One reason for that is my BH is not as good as FH, so I don’t do BH full power stroke a lot. My BH falls mainly in small and medium power range. In this range, K2 doesn’t require any technique change.

Training + game

Earlier this week, after I tried two hours with K2 on my backhand with robot, I decided to use it in league game. As it has similar feeling as H3, I think I don’t need further adaptation and felt confident to use it in the game.

Before the game, I have 40 minutes training with my teammate. What K2 on BH gave me is , a better control than 37 H3 on BH. This is reflected on BH open up and blocking, especially blocking. When block against some of my teammate’s full power pure brush ‘banana topspin’, I feel much more confidence to block with K2 than 37 H3. I think this is because of the less tacky topsheet.

When blocking, K2 is faster in speed than H3, and with a lower arc.

The increase in control is the biggest surprise K2 gives me. I am more confidence in BH rally during the game.

Also during the game, K2 doesn’t feel like a new rubber for me. I use it in the game using same technique as I am using 37 H3. I don’t fee I made more unforced mistakes. You know, when you try a new rubber or blade, if the rubber has a different characteristics, you will make more mistake than usual as you haven’t used to the new rubber. But K2 doesn’t give me such feeling, that why I say, that Tihbar did a good job in K2, making it similar feeling as H3.

Touch game

K2 keeps the sticky rubber touch feeling -- shorter and better than non-tacky rubbers. But my opponent so far don’t really play touch game. So up to this point, I haven’t feel a distinct difference between K2 and H3 in touch game as I don’t have enough testing.

Final solution

K2 is somehow similar to H3 orange sponge, and it doesn’t requires boosting.
At medium power range, you can switch seamless between H3 orange and K2.
At full power range, K2 generate less spin but more speed than H3 orange. You will need to change your technique slightly. Just like switching from Tenergy 05 to 64 or 80.

K2 has better control than H3.

If you like H3 but doesn’t like constant boosting, K2 is a good alternative.
If you like to play stick rubber, but think H3 is a bit hard to control, you can try K2.

Thanks for the detailed review. Sounds very interesting.
Would love to give it a try if there wasn't one thing....

There is only one problem, K2 seems to be only available to Asian market (China for sure, not sure whether Korea or Japan have it). I need a friend to bring it to me. I am not sure when Tihbar will lease it to the other market.

:(
Too bad. Guess i will have to see where to find it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Have you tried Hurricane 8 for your backhand? That's a great rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Someone played K1 Europe with porous orange sponge?

I currently have K1 on my forehand, and I like it very much. It is kinda close to a boosted H3 in feeling, but a bit easier to play. I don't know if it has less spin than H3. I actually don't know how to even tell if a rubber has less spin or more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
K1 Europe just looks like regular K1 in a new packet to my eyes. Tibhar just responded to market demand IMO. Both great rubbers (and I'm pretty sure they're identical), but more european than chinese so it's a tough call to compare to boosted H3. I know that's where they're aiming but they play like a semi-tacky tensor. I've got a sheet of Golden Tango this week as well, and again it's very similar to K1.

K1 Plus was harder, a touch closer to H3N. Excellent again, I thought.

K2 has dropped the big-pore sponge and sounds like it moves further to the chinese end of things...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Short video review of K2 on Nexy Qabod. I'm in grey shirt, and my practice partner Tomasz uses T80 on Maze.

Unless you've got nothing else to do for 30 min, here are the main points of interest:

0:00 - 2.13 FH drive/counter
2:25 - 6:38 - FH loop against FH block and vice versa
21:00 - 26:30 - FH loop against BH block

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Sx9l_4IJg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
How does the K2 perform in lifting backspin on FH side? Is it easier or harder than on H3? Also, does the sponge have a catapult effect, or it is linear? tnx

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
If you can lift backspin with H3 (or any medium-hard rubber, tacky or not), then you'll be able to lift it with K2. It feels just as hard as a normal H3 Neo sheet in a non-scientific finger press test, imo. The sponge is fairly linear, it takes some effort to activate whatever passes for catapult.

Reactions: thomas.pong