andro Hexer Grip SFX and Powergrip SFX

This user has no status.
After a previous opportunity to test andro Hexer Grip (45 ° sponge) and Powergrip (47.5 ° sponge), I became a big fan of these rubbers. I have already had few couples of these and I still have them on both main rackets. That's why I did not hesitate when I was given the opportunity to test their younger siblings. They have the same names with the attribute of SFX, which means they are equipped with softer sponge. I have read a lot of positive feedback on andro Hexer series everywhere on the Internet, so it's not surprising that the andro brand has decided to expand this family. In this case, it is certainly not another evolution, but only an addition for players for whose previous versions were too fast and hard. Now almost everybody could find his choice in this series (we still miss a 50 ° variant for a dominant FH, but we probably expect this series to be more of a non-professional player).
hexery_SFX.jpg
The connection to the previous rubbers is quite obvious from the design of the packaging, which is almost identical. In addition, we find just the SFX symbol.
obaly.jpg
Hexer Grip SFX and Hexer Powergrip SFX carry very similar (possibly identical) topsheets as their predecessors. The material is therefore again 100% natural rubber. The main difference should be in the hardness of a significant green sponge, which could be found here at hardness of 42.5 degrees and 40 degrees. This difference does not seem to be huge, but the feel of the rubbers is quite different. The SFX Grip generally has much softer feel (from the first touch).

The red AHPG SFX square with a 1,9 mm thick sponge has weight 66 grams. The AHG SFX square in black with a 1,9 mm sponge has 4 grams less, so it has 62 grams. I have glued rubbers to the well-known TB ALC using TSP Bio Fix.
kompozice.jpg
Powergrip SFX had a stiffer impression, quite a bit like its harder siblings. Grip SFX feeling is softer, the ball easier breaks through the rubber and you can more feel the influence of the blade.

The first impressions of the game were fine. Everything was essentially automatic and my hand used to the older Hexers did not notch any surprises. The previous review of the Hexers ended by the fact that the covers are clearly connected together. This also applies to SFX versions. The rubbers have a slightly softer feel, a slightly lower speed, but they have a lot of similarities.

Spin
Thanks to the topsheet rubber which is lightly adhesive (same as previous models), spin is absolutely excellent. The ball feels like bite into a rubbers. The topspin were played naturally and there was a lot of spin in it. In the case of rotation I did not noticed much differences despite the different sponge. HPG SFX is more direct and works better on the more powerfully played topspins (or powerspins). When comparing the arc with the classic Hexers, I would say that Powergrip is definitely the most direct, followed by both with a much smaller gap Powergipe SFX and Grip, and the "arc-est" SFX Gripe.

Speed
These rubbers are built for controlled game close to the table. As I moved away from the table, I had to push more and more, which sometimes ended with time to time defected technique of the stroke and it's not just ideal. When you play the ball well timed on the table you can often easily get your opponent under pressure, for example the fast drive to the incoming topspin has worked great. When I flipped the bat for the same strokes, the speed difference between these two rubbers were noticeable. When you look at the whole family, I think that paper grading works well according to the sponge hardness (PG> G> PG SFX> G SFX).
houby.jpg
Control
In one word - great. Softer rubbers usually have higher control in catalogue ratings, but "control" is always a very subjective metric. I also have experience with soft sponged rubbers, which were absolutely uncontrollable (mainly because of the bigger catapult effect). I have absolutely no problem with the SFX Hexers, these rubbers play very steadily. The catapult is pleasantly suppressed and I have not noticed any unexpected "kicking". This is a big plus especially for a stable block and short play and chop. These strokes, which basically can not be played not to be close to the table, are really good.

I have to mention that it generally is the main domain of the whole Hexer series. Rubbers have a huge tolerance of imperfectios in the game and you can really rely on them when you need it. Ideal choice for players who would like to develop and work on themselves.

Overall impresion
The addition of softer versions is especially good for people whose game is based on control and try to "adapt" to their opponents playing style. It is nice to see that the softest SFX sponge has unusual 40 ° for Hexers (more usually is 37,5 ° what would be so much in this case). I do not know if it is a result of andro testing but that is good compromise. The Grip SFX is not too muddy and everything works as it should. Now, everyone can find his choice in the Hexer series.
prohnuti.jpg
Thank you.

This user has no status.
Many thanks! Useful info. Was looking to try one of these 4 soon, and now I can pick solely on sponge hardness.

And thanks also to Ondrej for the excellent review!

Hi Andy, hope this will help you while your desicion-making. If you have already had a preference of rubber/sponge hardness, you probably can´t go wrong with this series. I really like them all but I am staying with my prefered Powergrip and Grip without SFX.

Looking forward to your feedback after some impressions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

Thank you very much for the review!

I have a few questions regarding Hexer Grip (regular version) vs Powergrip SFX, I would be grateful if you could help me

- Which has better overall control between the two?
- Which is less bouncy on short game? (Low catapult effect on soft strokes)
- Have you noticed spin difference between the two?
- Which is the easiest to lift backspin balls in order to produce slow, high & safe spinny loops? (thin brush)
- Also, can you name other rubbers that has similar speed to Grip (regular version) and Powergrip SFX? (Just to get a better idea)

That ended up being more questions than I initially tought , sorry :p

Thanks!

PS: I posted similar questions on mytt (fewer tough), but it seems that you have not logged in since the day you posted your review there, so I'm posting here too. I was wondering if you access TTD more frequently ;)

This user has no status.
Hello, feedback in your text. :)

Thank you very much for the review!

I have a few questions regarding Hexer Grip (regular version) vs Powergrip SFX, I would be grateful if you could help me

- Which has better overall control between the two? I play Grip on BH and PGSFX more on FH, but I would say Grip.
- Which is less bouncy on short game? (Low catapult effect on soft strokes) Quite similar, both are better than Grip SFX in this
- Have you noticed spin difference between the two? Not at all
- Which is the easiest to lift backspin balls in order to produce slow, high & safe spinny loops? (thin brush) - Grip has higher throw, so probably Grip.
- Also, can you name other rubbers that has similar speed to Grip (regular version) and Powergrip SFX? (Just to get a better idea) - Quite hard to say but when I choose rubbers with same sponge hardness - Grip is slightly slower than Aurus Select (45°), PG SFX is little bit faster than Vega Asia DF (42,5°).

That ended up being more questions than I initially tought , sorry :p

Thanks!

PS: I posted similar questions on mytt (fewer tough), but it seems that you have not logged in since the day you posted your review there, so I'm posting here too. I was wondering if you access TTD more frequently ;)

Hope I helped. ;)

Reactions: shinshiro
This user has no status.
Should I mimic your set-up?

I loved your review and have been hearing about these rubbers.

I currently have OSP Virtuoso OFF- with Xiom Vega Euro DF (it’s soft and light) on both sides.
I love the feel of it but am tempted to go up in speed a bit as long as I can maintain the forgiving way this blade is training me how to loop/brush the ball. I don’t mind it being a little heavier and harder as long as it’s not too much.

Think I should follow your Grip on BH/ PG SFX on forehand? Or maybe Grip on both?

I was also looking at Rasanter R42.

Or maybe I’ll just order a fresh pair of what I have. ha.

Hello, feedback in your text. :)

Hope I helped. ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Think I should follow your Grip on BH/ PG SFX on forehand?

This would be unusual for most, since PowerGrip SFX is softer than Grip and most people prefer forehand harder.

Grip on both sides should give you more spin and power than your Vega, while being marginally harder. If you have good experience playing identical rubbers that would be my recommendation. If, for some reason, you´d like one side softer try PowerGrip SFX. Grip SFX with 40 degree sponge seems a little soft.

Rasanter R42 also felt a little soft and mushy compared to HeXer Grip. I think HeXer Grip is the more precise rubber between these two.

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
This would be unusual for most, since PowerGrip SFX is softer than Grip and most people prefer forehand harder.

Grip on both sides should give you more spin and power than your Vega, while being marginally harder. If you have good experience playing identical rubbers that would be my recommendation. If, for some reason, you´d like one side softer try PowerGrip SFX. Grip SFX with 40 degree sponge seems a little soft.

Rasanter R42 also felt a little soft and mushy compared to HeXer Grip. I think HeXer Grip is the more precise rubber between these two.

I also prefer harder rubber on bh.... But still i mange harder on fh.... But bh needs to be hard.

This user has no status.
I'm weighing Vega Europe, Hexer Grip (normal) and Hexer Power Grip SFX for my next rubbers for my Off- Virtuoso.

I wasn't sure, from the review, which is lighter - Hexer Grip or Hexer Power Grip SFX. Since HPG SFX is less hard at 42.5 vs 45, I am correct to assume HPG SFX is lighter?

EDIT: If I'm reading your original review correctly, both Grip and Power Grip SFX weigh 66 grams. So, what is the difference between those two rubbers, mainly?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I wasn't sure, from the review, which is lighter - Hexer Grip or Hexer Power Grip SFX. Since HPG SFX is less hard at 42.5 vs 45, I am correct to assume HPG SFX is lighter?

No. The sponge is different, for a start. And even if it wasn´t, in 2.1 thickness for example one rubber might be 1.99 mm and the other 2.15. In fact, I have seen a rubber in 1.8 mm weighing more than its own max version. Might not be a production variable but wrong packaging, but anyway ...

So, softer = lighter isn´t all wrong, but it also isn´t right under all circumstances.

This user has no status.
Hello,

as you find out - the weight for both of my squares (Grip and Powergrip SFX, both 1,9) was the same - 66 g.

From my experience - It sounds strange but I think my PGSFX was sharper and had little bit lower throw than classic Grip. I would anticipate that Powergrip SFX with its softer sponge (and same topsheet as was written here by Airoc) will be slower and will have higher throw. Don