Harimoto Documentary

This user has no status.
I found this on Youtube. I don't speak japanese and I would normally just rely on the auto-generated subtitles. However on this one, at one point 23:48 there was what seems to be like a deep difference in opinions between Harimoto and his father on how to handle Timo Boll. From the looks of it, the kid was pretty sure whatever the father asked him to do is not going to work. Instead of just going into speculations I wanted to see if any of our japanese fellas has this translated or at least look at this part of a video and tell us what the technical discussion was about etc ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 6 reviews
Harimoto didn't belive he has any chance of winning.

HF- Harimoto's father
H - Harimoto

HF: If the rally continues You can win
H: My techinique is too poor and it doesn't work against him
HF: Push the balls harder and put more backspin on it
H: What do You mean ? / What are You talking about ? (irritated)
HF: Use more force to make more spin (more like an order than advice)
H: Maybe You should go and try to play ?

Translated the japanese subtitles, can't listen to the video right now, but they probably speak in chinese anyway. Also my japanese is not great, so the translation might not be perfect

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
They're probably speaking in Sichuanese, the dialect used by locals in Sichuan, where Harimoto's dad is originally from. However, there are folks who claim to be from Sichuan saying they can't understand the dialog. XD

The part where Harimoto says he doesn't get what his dad is getting at is confusing because his dad's gesture doesn't look like a push stroke, more like a downward press when returning a strong loop.

Reactions: Musaab and akoozab
This user has no status.
Harimoto didn't belive he has any chance of winning.

HF- Harimoto's father
H - Harimoto

HF: If the rally continues You can win
H: My techinique is too poor and it doesn't work against him
HF: Push the balls harder and put more backspin on it
H: What do You mean ? / What are You talking about ? (irritated)
HF: Use more force to make more spin (more like an order than advice)
H: Maybe You should go and try to play ?

Translated the japanese subtitles, can't listen to the video right now, but they probably speak in chinese anyway. Also my japanese is not great, so the translation might not be perfect

Interesting still but I thought it was more tactical than this. The boy didn't know what to do against a legend and the father had to say something about it