9 year old rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Restarting my table tennis, have a grubba blade with sriver rubbers thats 9 years old. Stored them with plastic sheets. They feel tacky and spin the ball as far as I can tell. Should I get new rubbers/blade? Does storage kill the rubber? Thanks

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I've written about this before, sorry for boring you out. Anyway, when I returned to the game I found a 30+ yo blade with Sriver L on on side. It was still elastic and grippy and played fine. That rubber is now 35+ years old, still sits on that blade, and still plays well.

I had bought a slab of new Sriver just before I found that old blade back. The new slab of Sriver wore out in less than six monts, became brittle and hardened up, losing so much of its grip that it turned from playable to anti in the course of a few weeks.

Use it as long as you feel it plays well, I'd say. Not everything seems to have improved in the deep realms of rubber production, so it seems to me.

Reactions: Suga D and tzifos
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Update - thinking that my set up is too slow, went and bought primorac blade with tenergy 80 on fh and bh. Lost all of my games to opponents because this racket is too fast and bouncy for me. My game became defensive because I could not complete my shots, backhand especially. Felt such a relief today for going back to my Grubba blade with Sriver rubbers.

I hope I can use my new blade with tenergy rubbers in the future :)

Reactions: Suga D and Simas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Post a picture of them! Would be interesting to see how they look after 9 years.

Reactions: Simas
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
This is a picture of, probably, my second blade (Tibhar Tibor). I played with it about 35 years ago, around 1981-1982 roughly. The Sriver L on it and the Friendhip 729 still play very well. Spinny, elastic, and the 729 is still very tacky.

oldskool.jpg

Not sure which one I used on FH and which on BH. Lost in time. Edit: silly, easy to see the Sriver L was on the FH.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simas and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
This is a picture of, probably, my second blade (Tibhar Tibor). I played with it about 35 years ago, around 1981-1982 roughly. The Sriver L on it and the Friendhip 729 still play very well. Spinny, elastic, and the 729 is still very tacky.

View attachment 18636

Not sure which one I used on FH and which on BH. Lost in time. Edit: silly, easy to see the Sriver L was on the FH.

That's very nice. Please post bigger resolution pictures of your blade. This racket should be very precious to you emotionally.

(One of my small sentimental regrets is that I didn't preserve my rackets when I was a kid. When I was a kid I started playing with a cheapish racket, used it for some time, then when I made some progress my coach assembled for me a rather expensive racket and my parents bought it for me (do not remember exactly what it was). I used it for some time, then I dropped TT and sold the racket. Now I wish I had my first 2 blades...)

Last edited:
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I actually posted it in 4032x3024 initially, but that failed. I resized it to 1500x1000, and that uploaded - but was automatically sized down, somehow. TTD seems keen on sizing them down...

I still have this combo, and do enjoy playing with it even, from time to time. It was the blade I stepped up to after this one, though, that to my utter regret is lost in time — a Stiga Kjell Johansson Offensive Wood — that has my main emotional attachment. That's the blade that saw most of my growth as a cadet/junior player, nearly four decades ago, with its unrivalled elliptical/conical handle, small sweet spot, huge "bite" and feedback.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Going from old old old Sriver to T80 in one shot would be a pretty hard adjustment.

It may take a while of training with the T80....going back to basics.....working on strokes and contact....to get used to it.
Its darn tough adjustment. The ball flies of T80 racket like a catapult. Its amazing. But lifting a backspin is easier. I have hard time with pushing the ball with T80.