Price of Chinese TT Lesson in China

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I find it interesting that they can take a higher price based on their own success. They proably know alot of tabletennis if they have had great success as players. But i still think that successfull players sometimes do not equals a good coach. A somewhat big difference in my opinion to be a good player and a good coach. How much their career matter in the price compared to their coaching successes?

I know many good players, that have played youth and junior national tabletennis and have played a somewhat high league in sweden that do not know so much tabletennis, technique and how to learn others. I think proably the best coaches in Sweden did not have supercareers themselves. But proably hard to generalize about this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I once went to China to work and decided to spend some my extra time with a coach instead of wasting my time in a KTV room as usual :cool: I stayed in a 4 star hotel with table tennis and badminton facilities and coaching. Too bad they didn't speak English so I had to bring my own interpreter (who was my supplier but didn't cost me anything). This guy was around US rated 2500, and coached very well. He wore me out but due to language barrier it was hard to understand even with an interpreter who didn't know tt language. Only cost me ~$9 so I guessed he was an amateur...? In Vietnam you can have some 2600 players to train you with the same price or a bit more expensive, no English though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have played at the Yuan Shen Sports Center in Pudong, Shanghai many times. There are coaches there and they are very inexpensive but the level is not that high. It isn't like a TT academy. I have thought about taking a lesson there because the coach+table doesn't cost that much more than the table. I have seen three coaches there. I would only take lessons from one. The other two didn't appear to be that good. Too much drilling without correction of obvious flaws. It looks like they are just going through the motions. I don't know how coaches are certified there.

I don't think it is a big deal if you don't understand Chinese. Monkey see, monkey do works.
My last coach in the US was from Tianjin. He came here to learn english. Sometimes he would just show me what he wanted to me to know.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
FYI

in Japan prices are from around 4500 yens (junior coach) to 9000+ (pro) / hour in Tokyo, its cheaper outside.
1USD = around 110 yens

Sakamoto at UPTY charges 9,000 yens per hour . He's an ex-world class player (played in WTTC) and national doubles champion. So if top coach charges 100 USD/hour in China, i think that would be expensive / or Sakamoto too cheap !!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Sakamoto, if We talk about the same one is also very nice. Or atleast i remember so when he played in Sweden. I also remember that he really enjoy drinking beer.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
A Chinese colleague who goes back to China every summer for a month put her two boys (11 and 13) in some heavy duty TT training. She paid about 30USD/h for a provincial coach that coached both of them. I thought that it did sound expensive as their present club (Spårvägen) charges about 100SEK (roughly 10USD) per hour for multiball practices... or maybe it's just really cheap here.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Well I have been trained with various coaches in China. The price is mainly based on 1 City 2 Coach level.

It's common knowledge that in bigger cities e.g. Beijing Shanghai, the price is higner.
For 1-1 coach sessions, Coaches in Beijing and Shanghai are normally charge 200-300RMB per hour (30-45 USD). For such price you will find some ex-provincial team player coaches. Which is quite sufficient for amateur level players to pratice some normal FH, BH technique and drills.

For some lower level, I once see a coach in Shanghai that only cost 130 RMB per hour. That is 20USD. The cheapest I can find is big cities in China. But he is more a "training partner" than a coach. He is a Chinese old lad with a good penholder block. What he basically do is just to feed you balls to practice. Can't even block my forehand spin well.

If you are higher level player, e.g. some city team level teens in some smaller cities. Coming to seek some higher level coaching. You can find some ex-national (team 2 or backup team of course) coaches. But ex-national doesn't mean they are better at teaching amateur player. I once follow one of such coach in Beijing for two month (3*2hour session per week). He used to be in the national team, once a training partner of Zhang Jike. He is very good at tactical theories from his experiences, and taught me a lot about these things. And he has very good skills to train with some higher quality players e.g. city team or provincial team member. But he is not suitable for me, what I need is more of basic skill and drill training at that time. I don't need that many experiences, I need skills to carry out those experiences. He charges around 50 USD per hour now.

Also I know a coach in Shanghai recently, who is ex-national backup team, ex-Fujian Provincial team player and ex-Fujian Provincial coach for two years. He just moved to Shanghai to start new coaching business. Start with 37USD per hour 1-1 session. I want to train a few weeks with him when I travel back to Shanghai for business. But he didn't take me. Saying that he want to take some long term pupils.

In smaller cities, it's much cheaper.
In my home town which is a 3-tier city. My coach charge only 15 USD per hour, City team player level, good at feeding and drills, which is sufficient for me. In some other cities, you can find some coach as low as 10-12 USD per hour.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
A Chinese colleague who goes back to China every summer for a month put her two boys (11 and 13) in some heavy duty TT training. She paid about 30USD/h for a provincial coach that coached both of them. I thought that it did sound expensive as their present club (Spårvägen) charges about 100SEK (roughly 10USD) per hour for multiball practices... or maybe it's just really cheap here.

Is that price available to outsiders, e.g. TT tourists? Pricing is very attractive, so may be I should add Sweden to my list of "visit interesting places and play TT there" destinations.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Is that price available to outsiders, e.g. TT tourists? Pricing is very attractive, so may be I should add Sweden to my list of "visit interesting places and play TT there" destinations.

You typically need to be a member of the club which normally is about 100-200USD per 6 months for an adult and way less for kids under 18. Most coaches are about 15-30USD / session if you do it outside of the club but this not that common and kind of frowned upon (but most clubs turns a blind eye to it).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
You typically need to be a member of the club which normally is about 100-200USD per 6 months for an adult and way less for kids under 18. Most coaches are about 15-30USD / session if you do it outside of the club but this not that common and kind of frowned upon (but most clubs turns a blind eye to it).

Even 200$ fee amortized over 5 days of training is still a pretty good deal :).

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
China has come a long way. Back in early 2000s, it cost roughly ¥140(~US$17, inflation adjusted) for 2 hours with a well-known provincial-level coach in a tier-1 city like Shenzhen.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I
Tony if it is a provincial level coach, how much would be the session?

Most coaches are in the range of RMB50~300 ($7~$44)
a friend of mine (provincial coach, and was in the super league coaching team) who charges $5000 a month when going abroad (he has been to Japan, Taiwan etc at that rate) can charge way more than that.
He helped Anna (UK) for 8 months in 2016 for a very good rate - but that was a long term and many hours training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Like with most things, you get what you pay for.

Surprising how expensive China is but then we are talking provincial coaches or better. Most of Europe is cheaper than that!

In the UK it's £20-30 an hour and you can get £15 an hour with discounted bulk sessions etc. This will be with a top 50 UK player or level 3 or 4 coach.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Surprising how expensive China is but then we are talking provincial coaches or better. Most of Europe is cheaper than that!

In the UK it's £20-30 an hour and you can get £15 an hour with discounted bulk sessions etc. This will be with a top 50 UK player or level 3 or 4 coach.

I would say most asian parents are fanatic about status.
They willing to invest more to a teacher/coach that have world level credentials for just about any extra mural in the young kids life.

I would say not all kids will become world champions, and not world champions are groom by world champion coaches.

In China you have some really wealthier folks nowadays.

In the south of Taiwan, my friend Wu Wen Jia also charges USD100 (coach of Fukuhara Ai's husband, also coach of Cheng I Ching and many other Taiwanese national players). In the city he stays, the average salary is so much lower than the capital. IE, the entry level salary of a university graduate is about USD700 a month, whereby he can charge USD100 an hour. and he is fully booked.....