Salary part time coach

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hello!

I have been playing tabletennis for almost 20 years, and have been a part time coach for a little more than 10 years. Today i am a part time coach for kids 2, 3 times a week. 3 groups everytime, with a total of almost 4 hours.

I am interesting in what my salary per hour should be? what other part time coaches have.

At the moment i have 10 USD(around 100 kronor) per hour. I think that all the other coaches in the club that are not as experienced as me have the same. Therefor i think i should have a somewhat higher salary because i have been a coach much longer and proably are more competent. I would like my salary to be 15 or 20 USD per hour.

I do this mostly for fun so the salary is not that important. But many of the groups are not so motivated, do not listen and do not fight very hard so it takes alot of energy from me. The groups are also very large so that make it more difficult and harder. So i think i should be payed somewhat well for it. I also have a adult group, that is much more fun so i could do that almost free.

I hope there are some part time coaches for kids, youth out there that can answer my question. Or other people that know something about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it depends on the country. My friend coaches adults or children in USA 1 on 1 for $15 hour which is actually low in the USA. He coaches beginners up to low level intermediate.

Yes proably depends on the country. How long have he played and how long have he been a coach?

NDH

says Spin to win!
From experience, coaches make their money from 1-1 sessions.

A good coach in the UK would charge £15-20 per hour.

A great coach would be £20-25 per hour

An excellent coach would be £25-35 per hour.

Those figures are rough, but they should give you an idea.

Most coaches will work on a self employed basis - So they won't have a "salary" being paid by someone.

If you are coaching a group of kids, you'd need their fees to cover the hire of the hall and your salary as well.

If the hall hire cost £30 per hour, and you had 10 kids each paying £3 per session - You'd only break even.

If you had 20 kids paying £3 per session, you'd make £30 for the hour.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Yes proably depends on the country. How long have he played and how long have he been a coach?

He has played over 30 years, been actively coaching the last 5 years, part time. He learned a lot by watching a high level coach who was in the USA now plays Division 2 German Bundesliga league.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks for all the answers. Maybe i forget to mention. I am get paid by a club per hour. I only Do group training.

I have been asked about private coaching from players But i do not know how i should rent my clubs hall. I also like equal possibilities for everyone. I want it to be fair. If i start to Do private coaching it is only the ones that have alot of money that Will benefit. But i would proably need that money But i enjoy the group format that i Do today so Will continue with that.

Going to discuss tonight with the other club were i started adult training about salary per hour. I think i Will ask for 20 USD.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It is also hard to know how good i am as a coach and how much i can ask for.

I think, without being rude that i am a ”better” coach than alot of coaches in other countries like mentioned UK and US because the level of tabletennis and culture of tabletennis is proably somewhat lower in general compared to Sweden.

NDH

says Spin to win!
It is also hard to know how good i am as a coach and how much i can ask for.

I think, without being rude that i am a ”better” coach than alot of coaches in other countries like mentioned UK and US because the level of tabletennis and culture of tabletennis is proably somewhat lower in general compared to Sweden.

Are there many table tennis coaches around your area?

To put things in perspective, there aren't many junior coaches/coaching sessions in the UK.

You tend to have 1 or 2 clubs who cater for them in an entire county - Most of the time they are just group sessions.

The 1-1 coaches are usually VERY good, and well worth the money.

You wouldn't need to give up your group sessions, but perhaps you could make an agreement with the place you play, and you could do an extra hour or two of 1 to 1 coaching - This would double your income straight away.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Lula said:
Thanks for all the answers. Maybe i forget to mention. I am getting paid by a club per hour. I only Do group training.

I have been asked about private coaching from players But i do not know how i should rent my clubs hall. I also like equal possibilities for everyone. I want it to be fair. If i start to Do private coaching it is only the ones that have alot of money that Will benefit. But i would proably need that money But i enjoy the group format that i Do today so Will continue with that.

Going to discuss tonight with the other club were i started adult training about salary per hour. I think i Will ask for 20 USD.
OK, so the club is paying by the hour for the group training. The club is doing the marketing and taking the risk of coordinating the building and utilities, so they can dictate the terms. However, since you are a better coach and you are coaching more people, it would be justice for you to receive more pay for more work.

If you feel 175 SKR an hour is a correct pay, then you could ask the club about that. The club might not pay that. You could ask the club if they could have the one in group training pay a small separate fee. The club and you could agree how to split this and get you the 175 SKR you deserve as you describe.

The club may not like that and exert leverage over you. Of course you could leave the club and work at another one. That will be the mentality of the club, there are many people who can run a group lesson, so the club is not under any real pressure to pay you more, since there is already a supply of labor easy to find at the rate they want.

You see an offer at another club and it is a good opportunity to negotiate a rate you think is correct for you.

Private coaching is a possibility... a good one. You would have to work it out with the club on how much the club wants every time you have a private lesson. Maybe a counter offer if the club will not pay you more is to allow you to coach there privately to club members, who are already contributing to the club's expenses.

In USA, a coach of your playing level (it is sad they judge by play level instead of actual improvement of the players) you would get anywhere from SKR 300 to SKR 550 per hour of private lesson at a club. Some clubs allow you to keep it all and have the player only pay entrance or membership fee, some clubs have you work there full or part time and take a small or large chunk. The ones who play a level or two better than you at a major training club make between SKR 600 - SKR 700 per hour before deductions.

That sounds like a lot of money... and it is... but if all you do is coach TT, that will put you in a situation where you might be starving in a major US city that has TT clubs. That is a different discussion later.

Let us know how it goes !!

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Not so many tabletennis coaches in my area. Proably more coaches in Stockholm that is maybe a 2 hour drive. Hard to find good coaches i think. Hard to know what a "good" coach is aswell.

Norrtull seems to be a nice club! But is though to be a part time coach, so a full time coach is proably even though. Hard to know for people how much energy it sometimes takes to be a coach. Hardest job i ever had. But from what i have seen, the young players in Norrtull seems to be pretty serious so it proably takes less energy than my current coaching job. It is also proably more fun to be a coach if the players are really motivated. But i like to live in the city i live in now. I also enjoy to play myself and that is proably difficult if you are a full time coach. Also do not know if i am experienced enough to be a full time coach.

I will proably ask for atleast 15 USD per hour, or i will play myself instead. If the kids were more motivated it would be much more fun to be a coach, so sometimes it is a struggle to keep being motivated and keep up the quality of the training so i feel that i need to earn some money on being a coach.
I do not agree it is easy for them to find labor and that everyone can coach a group. I think i am in a good position to negiotate because "good" coaches is hard to find atleast where i live and i am also a coach somewhat much. I think they would have problem continuing some of the groups if i leave and then the sport director need to be more coach himself and he do not want that. I also feel that some of the other coaches are not so competent because they have not been a coach for so long so i think the quality of the training would drop if i leave.

I think i will try to coach in group sessions for now. Do not want to be to much coach either. I still think it is very fun to play myself and it is also very important for my health.

I also had a meeting about the salary for the adult training. being coach here is sooo much fun! everyone listens and wants to become better so the money is not so important. But i would be surprised if i get less than 20 USD per hour.

Thanks for all the answers.

This user has no status.
Said it on MyTT as well but hourly living wage seems fair (since no minimum wage in Sweden). In UK full time coaches are often getting minimum wage for group sessions etc. Private one to ones are where the money is and you could charge $30+ dollars an hour. Maybe do discount for bulk booking etc. Discuss with your club, they will probably be happy to provide you the facility for 25% of the fee or something.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
As I see it, it's not so complicated...

If you are under the impression you deserve more money for your services, you can just ask in a friendly way. If they are ok with it...super, :). If not...for you to decide if you still want to continue delivering those services,

good luck with it!

It depends on the country, the average salary in the country, the popularity of the sport in the country, the particular club activities and organization, etc.
I think that in your case its better for you to make your private investigation about what's usual in other clubs and areas in Sweden in order to correctly position yourself in terms of qualification, abilities and payment deserved.
Any comparison to other countries and clubs with different activities and organization system may prove wrong.
To me 10 usd per hour in Sweden sounds very cheap.
Here in Bulgaria, which is a very poor country with an average salary of about 600 usd, 1 hour 1-1 coaching is about 15 usd.
In my club we have 4 full-time coaches and their salary is formed by the usual club activities - club members taxes, casual per-hour players /we have 12 tables and the club is situated in the bigest mall in the city and is very well visited/, tournament taxes /usually 3 tournaments per weak with about 30 players on every tournament/, kids and younger players training groups /usually we have 30+ kids, sometimes 60/. In addition the club is very active in some extra activities partially or fully financed by the local authorities and/or the ministry of youth and sports and the ministry of education - programs for popularization of sport activities amongst the youngsters, providing access to the sport to the poorest society groups, etc. In addition every coach makes extra money from 1-1 coaching, but with such activities every coach is capable of only 2 hours 2-3 times per weak. All our coaches are with proffesional sports education. Some are with high school of sports and serious pro experience, others are Master of sports of the national sports academy and national champions. Our coaches are doing very well, but compared to the national living standarts. Compared to the Swedish living standards they would be mice-poor.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks for all the answers. Really appreciate it. I have now an idea what others have, and i think i am a little underpaid. So will try to ask for more in a nice way. Have a hard time doing that, feel almost a bit rude. Maybe i am to much of a swede haha.

I think i will leave this thread now. Do not feel entirely comfortable discussing the clubs salary, my fellow coaches and the sport director too much online. Maybe i have already done it to much already.

Thanks for all the help!

This user has no status.
From my experience, school subjects tutoring like math, physics and chemistry always costs about as same as private tt sessions. And I'd say that the ratio between people demanding services and people supplying those services is about as same as in table tennis. Through StudyBuddy people pay between 390 and 440kr/h for tutoring. So I don't think it would be outrageous for you to ask for anything between 200 and 300.
And since the club membership per year is quite low for Sweden (around a 1000kr for every club I researched), and people can practice 4, 5 times a week, they most likely won't need more than one session a week. And if you set the price, for example 200kr/h and throw in that 2 hours are 350, even better. That being said, most of your potential students are likely to already be club members so the hall renting shouldn't be a problem and they will know what they're paying for. Hope that this is concise enough and that it helps you. Good luck!

Edit: I just figured out that this post is more than a year old. In that case, I hope you got your raise!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi Lula, not sure if you still care.

I had 3 coaches when I was in China. The first 2 worked for the venue and charge 25 EUR per hour for both private and small groups (4-6 people). Gets to keep ~15 EUR himself and 10 goes to the club. They tend to be older players (in their 50s) and not in active competition.

The last one was an ex provincial player, charges 30 EUR per hour for 1 on 1 and keeps all to himself (I pay for the venue).

Honestly, I don't think playing level = coaching level. They all feed multiballs equally and the older gentlemen are actually better at quickly pointing out errors and teaching intricacies. Not to mention much better patience haha.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sure, thread is yr old, but what the heck, a points are worth bringing up for global awareness anywayz.

There are clubs who have professional coaches who coach in the club 6 days a week, charge $50+ an hr for private lessons, are great coaches and do not make enough to live by themselves even in the slum area of the city they coach in... so they rent one room in a house with unruly young adults or drug addicts or drunks or krooks or what-not... what a standard of living... work ur azz of real hard and not be able to get ahead much and live dangerously with disproportionate risk and unacceptable quality of living.

The life of a TT pimping coach isn't easy so often.

One may "luck out" and be offered some rental of a room along with other coaches and ultimately living conditions are not terrible... (and think how south it could go living with who you work with - think of military barracks) but understand in urban USA, unless you are making $100,000 USD before taxes and deductions (which ultimately results in $65,000 USD, which is further whittled down by sales, property, registration, and other tax related things, you end up with not even half of that...) and having half of $100,000 a tear will not enable a person to live outside a ghetto in most urban areas. If you have $4,000 you can barely afford $2000 for housing... and that will not get it done most cities. You cannot rely on public transportation to get you around much (except for maybe Boston or NYC) so you end up spending nearly $1,000 USD a month on a car (payment, insurance, fuel, maintenance average spread out) or $700+ on Uber rides.

Sometimes, $2,000 will get you something OK that is not hardcore ghetto, but often the city itself is a Ghetto, like say St Louis. And often, that city doesn't have much for TT, like say St. Louis. No one can try to say Indy or Cleveland are paradise cities either. At least Indy has TT action, but you need a car or hefty uber budget to get around.