How to remove OLD rubber on OLD bat? *See picture* *HELP*

This user has no status.
Hi!

Fast background story, my uncle decided he wanted to start playing again. He used to play like 30 years ago.
So he has his old bat with his old mark v rubber stored in his basement and wanted me to glue some of my old rubbers to his bat.

NOW he have removed his old rubber. Now the problem is, there are old sponge remains (and possible glue?) still on the bat.
Question: Does someone have any suggestions on how to remove this properly without damaging the bat to much? Acetone?

bat.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I've used acetone to successfully remove old glue from a butterfly blade that had rubber on it for 14 years - the only consequence was it took off some/all of the printed ink on the blade surface (it appears that is not a concern with the blade you have in the picture). Acetone gets my vote!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Acetone gets my vote!

Acetone and a lot of patience. Apply little by little, work on small remains, don´t use "heavy tools".
Take it as task while watching TV over several days rather than a job that must be finished quickly.
The further, I have seen work. The latter, I have tried myself, ruining the blade ;)

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
yes a matter of fact it is. MK5 from around 1975 so i accidently lied to you about 30 years old, rather 40.

The Allround Wood version, right?

Hope you get it clean in good shape. The top veneers splinter easily, I’d advise sealing before regluing. Great blade, best handle ever!

says Aging is a killer
Polystyrene for removing glue

For final polishing, use a dense piece of polystyrene rather than sandpaper, no risk of damaging the blade. It even works for removing glue from rubber.

Several years ago I cut a piece from the internal packing of a cheap bat case. I still use it regularly.

20190221_072824[1]_polystyrene.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I used a product called De-Solv-it Sticky Stuff Remover, to get rid of some weird glue residue on a second hand bat with MX-P that i took apart. Takes some time, but worked on both the rubber and the blade.
I am also wary of sanding blade faces, some are extremely thin. I bought some sponges from Aliexpress (100 Pcs/lot Melamine Sponge Magic Sponge Eraser Melamine Cleaner for Kitchen Office Bathroom Cleaning Nano Sponges 10x6x2cm) to cut up for using to apply glue, and have found that they are ideal for removing small residue of water based glue from the blade. No real abrasion, so won't work probably with your Stiga as it is. But £3 for 100, so handy to have around