Dimitri (Dima) Ovcharov Extended Interview

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Interview with Michael (Dima's Dad) Ovcharov and Dimitrij Ovtcharov translated into English for you guys :)

dimiepa.jpg

Photo by: EPA

I hope you enjoy this interview from all over the World whether your using your phone, ipad or laptop :).
Enjoy

FanTTW – Dear all, audience, I have the privilege of being able to interview the father, Michael, of an ever rising star of World table tennis, Dima Ovcharov….. Michael and Dimitri – we are very pleased to once again see and meet you here in Russia, and to get the pleasure of watching the game of a star of World Table Tennis (Dima Ovcharov).

Fanttw: I would like to start our interview today with a question first of all to Michael …M, when, and under what circumstances did you emigrate to Germany?
M: in 1992 – it was a couple of years after the Chernobyl disaster – and I wanted to get my family as far away from the disaster zone as possible, not necessarily to Germany, but anywhere I could at the time. There was no plan to go to Germany especially, just wanted to leave as quickly as we could, it just turns out we ended up in Germany.

Fanttw: Could you tell us a bit about your family, and how you live – who are the members of your family?
M: Smiles – there are not a lot of us – just three)) our family comprises of me, my wife Tatiana, (Dimas Mom) and Dima…. We live in a small town called Hamlin, about 50km from Hanover. I work as a physiotherapist in a large clinic, Dimas Mom is a teacher in a local school – and Dima, well, he is a professional table tennis player (smiles).

Fanttw: I understand that you all live together, as a small family, is that correct?
M: Dima now lives shall we say 50/50 – he has an apartment in Dusseldorf because he plays in Dusseldorf but he is often at home with us.

Fanttw: Dimitrij, I have been observing you for quite a long time – and you give the impression of a very serious young man – is this really the case, or do you, after all, have a lighter, more fun loving side to you, for some fun, jokes, relaxation? (Observation: Dima listens intensly, hands clasped in front of him – the guy really is a very serious chap)
Dima: well, first in line of course I do everything for TT – as it always comes first – TT is my life, its my profession, I train a lot and put a lot into this sport. Of course, there are times when I get a bit of time and may go into town and have a walk about and a bit of fun with friends occasionally.

Fanttw: Michael, what do you think, what in your opinion is the character of your son?
M: He is very professional and takes TT very professionally – that is indeed true and is the case – but in regular life, outside of TT shall we say, I would have liked him to be a bit more organised and disciplined (laughs) but then, perhaps, my desire for this is not too dissimilar from other Dads)))

Fanttw: Dimitri – how significant is the role of your Father in becoming a star of World table tennis?
Dima: I would say that everything I know, and everything I have achieved, I attribute to my Dad. I am very grateful to him. If not for him, I probably would not play tt, when I was smaller, tt did not really interest me that much, I wanted to play probably football or some other form of sport, but my Dad told me stories about how great a sport table tennis is and got me playing and even required that I play when I was about 6years old and to this day he is still my trainer and coach and so here I am….( Observation outside the interview: for those who don’t know, Dima’s Dad was a very high level and decent tt player himself)
M: Just a quick observation here – indeed I did tell Dima those stories – but they were tallish ‘tales’ most of the time! (laughs heartily)

Fanttw: Our audience would definitely be very interested in getting to know you much more closely Dimitrij – so tell us please, what is your current playing inventory (blade/rubbers)?
Dima: I play with the Ovcharov Senso Carbon blade – which was developed by Donic for the post speed glue era, and my rubbers are Coppa Speed 2.1 mm, also released for the post speed glue era. I used to play with regular Coppa, with speed glue for additional speed, so after the ban, Donic produced the Coppa Speed. My blade handle is straight (not flared). Before this, I used to use the Waldner Senso Carbon, which is slightly slower than my current blade, and the regular Coppa sheets.

Fanttw: Understood …. So does the ITTF check equipment (for speed glue and other banned substances such as booster etc) at international and pro tournaments?
Dima: Unfortunately, I have to say at this point that the checks in this area are very weak. Up to the final (this tournament in Russia and frequently in others) we don’t get checked a single time – and I am sure there are quite a few players boosting or using illegal glues. I believe that checks should definitely be more stringent. The ITTF stated that equipment would be checked before every game, and they should do this.

Fanttw: Dima, do you think that you were able to adapt to the new requirements (speed glue ban and others)and changes from the ITTF?
Dima: Well, other people had the opportunity to try the new equipment and experience the changes longer than I did – I remember playing the Olympics with the old setup, and then my first tournament was only five days after the new rules – so it was not very easy at first.

Fanttw: So what players do you think will benefit from the new rules and requirements?
Dima: I think in the grand scale, the players who were top and stronger before the ban will remain top and strong now, and the weaker players will remain where they were – everything will really stay the same.

Fanttw: Dima, are you a superstitious person (Dima turns to his Dad, as he did not understand the word ‘superstitious’ in Russian)))
Dima: hmmm… yes, there are a few things – but only in (or during) the match

Fanttw: How do you see TT in say 5 years time? What changes will happen? Speed, strength, power/spin?
Dima: Well, with the new changes, the game over the next 2 years will not be quite as fast is it could have been as everyone gets used to the new equipment – but I think over the next 5years the sport will be back to pre glue ban speeds , power and spin levels.

Fanttw: Dimitrij, it is said your playing style is very similar to the playing style of your Father, Michael – I don’t know – Michael, is this the case, or not?)
M: Comprehensively (maybe he is being modest here) no it is not smiles – maybe there is some similarity in the serves, but that is about it…..smiles. I absolutely had no desire to make Dima play in my style or in a similar way… I don’t think I was that good

Fanttw: Dima, we watch with great interest your growth and growing stability in the game – in your opinion, are you ready to aim for the next level, and go for example the top 5 in the world?
Dima: Well I am currently no 14 (this interview was done in Moscow) and my next goal is to make it into the top 10. Currently there are 5 chinese, 3 koreans together with Boll and Samsonov – all very strong players. I will aim for the top 10 and then I will be very happy – and at that point I will put some new goals in place.

Fanttw: Dima, what do you think you are lacking/missing to achieve this, and what do you think you need to do to aquire them?
Dima: I think I already have what is required, I am still only 20, I just need to continue to work hard, and with time it will happen.

Fanttw: This question – how would you explain the success of the Chinese and the Chinese table tennis? Some have suggested/cited favourable genetics, perhaps certain upbringing and cultural traits as possible reasons for this – what are your thoughts?
Dima: I really doubt that this has anything to do with genetics – I just think that in China this is the no 1 sport – in China some kids don’t go to school, they don’t do anything at all – all they do is play table tennis – from the age of 5 boys and girls are taught to play table tennis. And from that age, they train extremely hard, very long, with the best coaches. This is the reason why they are better, because they start sooner, and train harder and longer.

Fanttw: Its not a secret that the question of doping – not just in TT, but in all forms of sport – everyday new materials are created to try and avoid detection and raise performance levels. What it be fair to say that top table tennis – i.e. the top 30 players in the world, are drug free?
Dima:hmm, I am sure that the top players in the world are clean. Our sport has always been a clean and fair one and I think it has remained that way.

Fanttw: Do you think that this question will not raise its head in our sport in the future?
Dima: I wish and hope that will be the case.

Fanttw: Dima, there are players that receive pleasure from training, perhaps even more than competing – can you tell me, what is your attitude to training, and what aspects do you focus on?
Dima: Training is always different, depending on what competition. I always train and begin specific preparation at least six weeks prior to major tournaments. Training is heavy and hard work, and doesn’t give me any specific ‘high’ or pleasure, it just has to be done.

Fanttw: Do you spend a lot of time practising serves?
Dima: Yes, actually I train and practice my serves a lot more than other players – my serves are quite effective –and if I stop practicing them hard and regularly it will impact the quality and effectiveness of my serves. I practice serves at least half an hour every day.

Fanttw: how significant are serves in modern top level TT?
Dima: some people have stronger serves, some have weaker serves, in any case, with good serves you are guaranteed 1 or 2 easy points in per game, its easier to take control of and open rallies with good serves. It’s a very important moment in table tennis.

Fanttw: Dima, a few perhaps more personal questions if you will – we would be interested in knowing your preferences in some areas – how many hours in general, do you sleep per day?
D: It doesn’t always work out, but 8 hours is normally what I aim for. I think 8hrs is important for a sports person.

Fttw: Do you like beer?
D: I don’t really like beer – and I very rarely if ever drink alcohol.

Fttw: Michael, does Dima ever drink any spirits, or something stronger – M (Dima’s Dad): nope – like I said before, he is highly professional and doesn’t drink really.

Fttw: tell us please, about your eating habits - is it determined by diet, or do you eat based on availability and what you want?
Dima: Sometimes I do watch my food, I don’t eat a lot of sweets and fatty foods. But sometimes I do eat the odd bit of unhealthy food). My favourite meal/food is meat – I do love a medium done steak with potatoes.

Fanttw: can you cook yourself, and are you capable of frying/cooking anything other than an egg?))
Dima: I do cook, I very often do my own breakfast and actually I do very good breakfast… I can also do a pasta or pizza, but to be honest, I very rarely cook anything. I prefer to go to town or the town centre and eat out or buy something.

Fttw: Recently we were interested to find that Torben Wosik for instance is very into astronomy – what are your interests outside of TT?
Dima: I like billiards, also a big fan of action movies – a wide range of normal activities, but nothing that specific)) I go to the cinema sometimes or just watch films on my big screen tv at home. My favourit actor is Sylvester Stallone, and actress is Jessica Alba. In terms of music, I don’t have any preference of any particular style, I listen to everything. I do prefer something calmer and soothing though.

Fttw: do you read much?
Dima: nope – I never read much – I hate reading)

Fttw: what web pages online do you visit?
Dima: mainly sports sites, but also the news sites in Germany, current events etc. I am not much into politics.

Fttw: Do you feel there is much of a difference in the mentality of Russia vs Germany?
Dima: yes there is – in Germany, everything has to be done precisely, and on time – whereas in Russia, if something is not done today, there is always tomorrow) and yes, I do feel more German than Russian, as I left when I was only two, I speak Russian,I know I was born there, but I feel myself German as I have lived and grown up in Germany.

Fttw: Where do you think the girls are prettier – Russia or Germany? Russia, definitely!)

Fttw: Have you got a girlfriend? And what is her name?
Dima: yes, I do, but I would rather not say her name….) refused to say, even when pressed.)

Fttw: and do you find any female tt players attractive, and who?
Dima: (Laughs) yes, of course, but I would rather not name any names or comment, as I don’t want to cause any controversy, rumours etc. or have any female players come up to me and say – you, Dima said, this, and that…)))

Fttw: What car do you drive? An audi TT sport.

Fttw: do you feel that you are sacrificing your most valuable years to the sport?
Dima: the best years are only just starting for me – TT players tend to achieve the most from roughly about 25 to the age of 30 – so I am looking forward to it as my best years are definitely ahead of me.
I want to put the next 10 years fully into TT.

Fttw: if not TT, what would you have wanted to do in life, and what if any, is your motto, or rule, in life?
Dima: well I love sports, so it would definitely would have been something to do with sports – maybe Lawn tennis perhaps – I don’t know. I don’t have a motto, and don’t have any rules as such hehehe….

Fttw: and finally, what advice would you give to your fans and young tt players out there?
Dima: The most important thing – if you are going for training, give your all, but if you feel bad or not right, and intend to just turn up to put a tick in the box – then its better to stay home.

Fttw: Michael – what would you add to this?
M: patience, patience.

I hope you enjoyed my translated interview with Dimitrij Ovtcharov and his father everyone. Please leave your comments below.

FanTTW, please be sure to subscribe to me on youtube :)
Thanks!
Thank you! I hope that everyone found this interview interesting – and I wish you the very best of luck and success in the future!!!

Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
My pleasure Wiwa - I wanted to share it with everyone, as I thought it was a really interesting interview too.... took some time to get done, but hope people will enjoy it.

This user has no status.
Thanks for the translation... I just remember that when I was watching the interview I just stopped watching it because I did not understand anything... While on the other hand with the the thread ¨Timo Boll finishes third place at the German Athlete of the Year awards 2011¨ I watched it all. I guess I wanted to see him play mini table tennis and I was kind of expecting him to speak english...lol

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
What an amazing interview! I totally agree with you Yurybarquero. I watched it before but didn't understand. Now I know! Thanks so much for this. I have learnt so much from Dima and his father now. I will use many of the questions used in this interview to other pro's when I interview them in the future :)

Reactions: Suga D
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Fantastiv interview, love it! Dima seems like a great sports person and also soon to be a really really greater player than he already is. World nr. 1 in 10 years is possible :D

Rumours say that he plays Tenergy rubbers, did you see his racket or did he just tell you? Anyway, I like his opinion on ITTF rules of boosters and such :)

Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Anders, Dima is also a really top guy. He is quiet, but he is very friendly, and kind. I know first hand of how kind and charitable he is - because I know a chap from a very poor country called Sierra Leone in West Africa, who befriended Dima during the world team championships in China. Dima not only had a warm up with the chap, he has been sending him Donic equipment, rubbers, blades, shirts, shorts, balls, shoes, you name it - REGULARLY to help the local players for the past 2years or more! and this despite his very busy schedule! How many top players do you guys know who do that?? and he has not trumpeted about this to anyone, but done it quietly. I respect the man for that. And yes, he definitely DOES play with COPPA speed - as he sends this chap all his own personal used rubbers. I have seen a few of them myself - yes the sponge is different from the sheets we buy in the shops, (thicker and more dense) but it is certainly Coppa. I am hoping to have a meeting and even hopefully dinner with Dima, via this African friend of his, when he arrives in London this year! Oh and by the way, this chap DID see his racket - Dima gave it to him to hit with during the worlds!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Anders, Dima is also a really top guy. He is quiet, but he is very friendly, and kind. I know first hand of how kind and charitable he is - because I know a chap from a very poor country called Sierra Leone in West Africa, who befriended Dima during the world team championships in China. Dima not only had a warm up with the chap, he has been sending him Donic equipment, rubbers, blades, shirts, shorts, balls, shoes, you name it - REGULARLY to help the local players for the past 2years or more! and this despite his very busy schedule! How many top players do you guys know who do that?? and he has not trumpeted about this to anyone, but done it quietly. I respect the man for that. And yes, he definitely DOES play with COPPA speed - as he sends this chap all his own personal used rubbers. I have seen a few of them myself - yes the sponge is different from the sheets we buy in the shops, (thicker and more dense) but it is certainly Coppa. I am hoping to have a meeting and even hopefully dinner with Dima, via this African friend of his, when he arrives in London this year!

That is really cool of him indeed. Does Germany only create model profs? :p

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Anders, Dima is also a really top guy. He is quiet, but he is very friendly, and kind. I know first hand of how kind and charitable he is - because I know a chap from a very poor country called Sierra Leone in West Africa, who befriended Dima during the world team championships in China. Dima not only had a warm up with the chap, he has been sending him Donic equipment, rubbers, blades, shirts, shorts, balls, shoes, you name it - REGULARLY to help the local players for the past 2years or more! and this despite his very busy schedule! How many top players do you guys know who do that?? and he has not trumpeted about this to anyone, but done it quietly. I respect the man for that. And yes, he definitely DOES play with COPPA speed - as he sends this chap all his own personal used rubbers. I have seen a few of them myself - yes the sponge is different from the sheets we buy in the shops, (thicker and more dense) but it is certainly Coppa. I am hoping to have a meeting and even hopefully dinner with Dima, via this African friend of his, when he arrives in London this year! Oh and by the way, this chap DID see his racket - Dima gave it to him to hit with during the worlds!

Simply amazing! :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I thought that it may be interesting for others to read this interview taken by Maxim Shmyrev in 2014, a famous TT and ping-pong player. He is a friend of Dima and his father and the interview is very intimate. Main takeaway: remember that you still can break through even if everybody says that your technique sucks!

Maxim: Dima, hello, we know each other for a few years already, first I'd like to congratulate you with several important events in your life. First of all, which is most important to me (don't know about you), is the fourth position in the World rankings. This is something unattainable and magic. Second, the second place at the World Team Championships. Thirdly, in July there is a very important event scheduled for you. And fourthly, you almost beat me at pong pong today! I want to congratulate you, that is wonderful.

Dima, you are a superstar, you travel around the World, you speak four or five languages, people recognize you on the streets, but you play for a Russian club, Orenburg-Gazprom. It is wonderful for us, you share your experience. Please tell us what do you like about it, what do you like in Russia, and maybe you can give us advice to improve our league.

Dima: Max, hello, thanks for all the praises, I am glad to hear them. Those were great successses for me, I am proud of my recent results. This is my fourth year in the Russain league, and I will play for Orenburg the next year definitely. The league is very interesting, I think UMMC and Orenburg are in top four teams in Europe, and we have big and close matches. We have to prepare for them and they are tough. We often win and the tension there helps me to elevate my level to prepare myself for big matches of the World Championships and Olympics. It helped me a lot.

Maxim: So the participation in the leagure really helped you?

Dima: Yes, big, big matches and strong players played for UMMC: Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, all great players. I had tough fights that let me to elevate my level. Unfortunately, when I started playing in Russia four years ago there were many clubs with strong players. At that time Hou Yingchao played, Koreans, Japanese, Russians, Europeans, but those clubs are behind now.

Maxim: Due to financial problems.

Dima: Overall, I think that Russian league was the strongest in Europe.

Maxim: Wow!

Dima: Everybody says that French, German leagues are the strongest, but in those days it was different. But unfortunately I have to say the level of the lowest teams fell a lot. So we don't have that many interesting matches in rounds before the super final. It would be great if more clubs were good.

Maxim: Yeah, we'd like more better clubs. Dima, thank you very much for your answer. I have a long history of relationships with you and your father. I knew your father and saw him playing. I met you for the first time in a training camp in Ochsenhausen. I can remind you that even when you were 13 or 14 years old you could beat strong players. It was wonderful, you were a raising star that stood out even in Germany. At that time I noticed the old-school, Soviet-like technique, backhand, tomahawk serves, but it was clear that you were psychologically on a different level. None of us worked on psychology. We worked on technique, on footwork, during the training camps, we did all of it. But psychologically, it seems to be your trump card, we noticed it with your father. Your father saw a barrier, and he hoped you'd get through (which you did), but he said: "Fifteen in the World, could it be any better?! There are such stellar players over there." And now you are fourth in the World, what did your father give you? I know that you have signs hanging in your house that say "You will win today", "You are the strongest", and it surrounded you, the care of your father. Tell us, it is very interesting.

Dima: When I was 13-14 years old, I was a cadet, the second in Europe, but I won most of the competitions. But all coaches in Europe, in Germany and most players said "Oh, Dima, he plays so poorly, backhand is bad, forehand is bad, old-school serves, and it is bad", mostly negative things. But my father said: "Dima, listen. You are in top three in your ages group. And your techniques are 'bad'. It is wonderful, because if we can solve these problems, imagine your road ahead since you are number one already." And in the end it turned out to be that way. That is how my father replied to those coaches.

Talking about psychology, I do not share it much with others. My father played a lot and successfully, but he always said that nobody worked on the mental side, and he had his issues. He was afraid, as everybody, he was at the same level as almost anybody else. And probably before I started to play, before he coached me, his main goal was for me to find my own game. But mentally we should work as much as we worked at the table. And at the table we worked a lot.

Maxim: Yes, I heard about that. I often observed you, all you rituals. You know what to do at the end of a game, know how to behave at the specific moments. My impression is that you are among the very few sportsmen that know what to do at each moment. I feel like you always have the right mood before each match, and you thought about the important moments and what to do at them.

Dima: With my father we practiced a lot how to approach a match with the strongest player, with the weakest, what to do in a critical moment. What to do when I am ahead, but the opponent catches up, how to react. We did a lot, lots of practice. How to strive for big competitions. As you said, I hung papers all over my flat, and read it all the time. I think that mental side, self confidence is even more than anything else. Practice at the table is needed. But I know so many people that practice as much as I do, or even more, maybe a bit less, but still two or three times per day. But they cannot get to any level even close.

Maxim: I am impressed. I've been following you for fifteen years now. I notice how you control the situation, how you put pressure on your opponent psychologically. When I watch, commentate, I try to reveal what you are doing. In my opinion, you are the strongest player mentally, I felt it when we played ping pong.

Dima: You said that the father told you when I was 20th in the World, that there were such strong players ahead of me, like Samsonov, Boll. He already was proud of that. But he told this only to you. To me he said: "Dima, you are 15th, you can go higher!"

Maxim: I speak about this carefully, because your father was an intelligent man. As any other intelligent man, he thought highly of the others, that Dima was lucky.

Dima: To me he said every now and then that many things were ahead, many things were possible. He often says that the difference between beating the strongest player in the World, Zhang Jike, and losing to Didukh in the same tournament (they talk about WTTTC 2014 I.M) is very small.

Maxim: It is great that you said that. Everybody remembered your loss and then cheered for you when you beat Zhang Jike. And everybody wanted for you to land that ball at 10-9, after your backhand, if only you won the first game...

Dima: With Ma Long, yes. Everything is close in table tennis. Becoming the World Champion or losing at the round of sixteen, it can be decided by one or two points.

Maxim: It is mainly decided by psychology, of course. Dima, thank you very much. I also wanted to discuss another story. A very difficult one for you which you overcame. 90% of the people would break down. You could endure it because of who you are, because of all your experience, how much you bit through with you teeth. The biggest scandal in the world of table tennis and it is connected with your name. Before Olympics in 2012, where you made history and took a bronze medal. But two months before, you almost had hidden. Because you were accused of the doping. You went through this a million of times, sorry for bringing this up. This page from you story characterizes you srongly because you broke through, and took a medal. Tell us about this story as it is the only public scandal in
table tennis.

Dima: There were already some small ones, there were issues with Liu Guoliang. It was in 2010, at the end of it. But it was close to Olympics. I remember like it was yesterday, the sports director of Germany called me and said "Dima, it happened." I thought it was joke, I called him and he said: "Dima, it is true." I could not sleep and woke up at nights thinking it was a dream. But then I realized it was real. It was a hard moment, when you are accused of what you did not do. It is worse than...

Maxim: Worse than actually doing something.

Dima: If you did something wrong, you have to account for that. But if you did not do, and you were accused, it is scary. There were many tests, with ADA, WADA, the national team. I am glad that within four months I was able to prove my innocence.

Maxim: That is the most important. How long it was, before you were free of accusations?

Dima: Almost four months. I could not play.

Maxim: I remember you were forbidden to play. A scary time. Were the many people supporting you at that moment?

Dima: At this moment it is seen who truely supports you and who supports you only when you win Olympic medals. When you win Olympic medals, the whole World supports you. But in this kind of situation not that many people support you.

Maxim: Everybody will have doubts, what if you really doped.

Dima: I myself thought before that in such situations it is 100% true. But the more I see it... I found out about soccer U17 championships in Mexico, where among 250 atheletes there were 120 detected with clenbuterol. Mexico and China have huge problems with it.

Maxim: And clenbuterol was totally outdated at that moment.

Dima: Nobody cares about that.

Maxim: I mean it was absurd.

Dima: I have many controls, one ore two controls each months. In Germany and Switzerland, the best labs. When I just returned from China, it was a tough period in my life. I think it made me stronger, maybe it helped me to succeed later on.

Maxim: You went through the hearth. Tell me know about Champions league, where you sensationally and unfairly lost to French. I saw your feat when you beat the Chinese guy, in a hopeless situation being down 1-2 and 5-9. You played some fantastic points at the edge of human capabilities and won. Samsonov won in a hopeless situation, in a difficult match beat Freitas. It was touch and go and was decided in the last match. I feel for Alexey Smirnov, whod did whatever he could, but lost to a Swede. Tell us how it could happen, rating-wise your club is much stronger. Table tennis-wise, we all know that a Chinese can be a clerk, but still win. How objective is this result? Were French that strong to become champions, or it is just sport?

Dima: French won, so we have to congratulate them first.

Maxim: Yeah, we congratulate them. I was in the hall and congratulated them among the first, right after you.

Dima: I'd like to say that we played with the same players in the team for four years already, we reached the finals four times, won twice and lost twice. We had tough matches we could win and became champions, and we had matches like those, or like when we lost in Dusseldorf four years ago. I think that maybe we had the worst match in four years in France. Conditions were tough, after the World Championships we lost 3-1 with very bad scores.

Maxim: So the main loss was there?

Dima: Yes, we played a bad match. Then at home we motivated ourselves and were very close. We were within a few points from a big victory. But I am still proud of what we achieve in Orenburg, and the second place at Champions Leaugue is not the worst result.

Maxim: Dima, thank you for your time, glad to see you!

Dima: Thanks!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Glad you liked the interview. It is very special because usually players do not share such personal things. Probably the reason is that Maxim knows Dima very well, but still.

Yeah. I've really enjoyed it.
BTW: Is it alright for you that i've also added your translation? Otherwise i can edit it out again.

Last edited: