Looping with short pimples on backhand advice?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Using Spectol Red 1.8mm on bh since new year, some good results and I know this is not what they are primarily used for.
However does anyone have any advice or video of how to loop correctly with them just off the table against chop, top and nothing?

I know Patrick from TT11 blog often mentions this in his reviews so it must be possible!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think looping against backspin is pretty much the same as with inverted. You need a pretty open racket angle. Since there is less grip you Will almost lift the ball or you need to brush it hard to generate some spin.

I think if you train this you Will know how. Proably better than read about it.

Both opening against backspin and looping with short pimple is not good and should be avoided in my opinion.

Against topspin you want to smash the ball. If you need to loop to much here you need to work on your footwork and take the ball at the highest point.

says Sorry I`m in Bulgaria (eastern europe) .
says Sorry I`m in Bulgaria (eastern europe) .
Apr 2017
I was using Spectol blue at some time which is similar to red. Both are more of Medium pips and are more suitable for flat hits and blocks. You can`t efectively loop against topspin and dead balls, you have to take ball on rising and to hit it with good placement, so must stay close to table.
"Looping" against backspin with Spectol blue a bit different compared to inverted it is more of a lift with open face without too much forward force. If the ball is above or around net level it could be flat hitted or rolled depending on depth of the shot.
If you want more looping potential you could give a try SpinPips Red or Blue.

Reactions: MOG
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Raw pips like Spectol classic/Red/Blue requires different timing and mindset compared to typical shortpips, the spinny ones that behave like inverted.

For topspin and especially no-spin, just flick/flathit/drive it. That's what shortpips are for. If you're good enough, even light backspin, like those from pushes, can be flat hit. The only thing to focus on is opening on strong backspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
looping with short pimples is perfectly possible, but don't expect to combine speed and spin as with inverted.
Mima Ito is the best person to study.
Interestingly in some matches she will execute spinny backhands with the Sp while mainly hitting extremely flat with her forehand.
Her game perfectly illustrates the the great spin capabilities of Moristo Sp. Spectol is just not on the same page.

when looping with sp pay attention to contacting at peak bounce if you want to make power.

Last edited: