Help me improve my FH quality

says I’ll make the payment as soon as posible (tomorrow)
says I’ll make the payment as soon as posible (tomorrow)
May 2018
Hi to all table tennis lovers out there, I want to improve my Fh topspin (increase shot quality). I'm going to leave a short video of my current Fh topspin against block. I would really apreciate your observations on my technique.

SN: I'm using Nitakku Hurricane 3 turbo orange 2.0 as my Fh rubber with almost no boost effect (almost gone by this time...boost 2 month ago), my shot will benefit from using a new boosted rubber or using other rubber like Sanwei Target National - Hurricane 3 neo provincial or a more bouncy rubber like Tenergy 05.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I think your technique looks pretty good. Compact stroke vs ball coming back fast. Trunk & legs rotation used, etc.

Do you work with a coach? What does he or she say? I would follow their advice probably more than anything since they're working with you. Based on what I see here, I'm assuming you've received some sort of coaching or instruction from someone at your local club.

Sounds like from the list of rubbers you mentioned that you're looking for something with more kick/speed/spin. I personally don't like bouncy rubbers. I like hard chineese rubbers and whenever I hit with a buddy's tenergy, sure i'd get use to it in time but my initial reactions are always that I don't like it.

I'll just give this bit of advice. I'd hate to see you lose your consistency switching to a brand new rubber type so I guess if you must make a change, I guess I'd just start boosting your current Hurricane rubbers you're already use to.

That being said, I kinda have this opinion that generally under USATT 2000, the most consistent player wins and I would suggest to those players try to become more consistent and don't worry as much about power. I think once you get to that level and higher to where players aren't giving you as many free/easy points, then you could ask yourself if you need more power and/or spin. From there you could begin to look at your rubbers, your technique, determine how much time in the gym you're putting in getting stronger etc. So I would try to assess what's the theme in your matches. Are you losing due to consistency? Tactics? or getting overpowered? etc.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Having a rough idea of your playing level helps. It is very different trying to improve the technique of a very good player vs improvin the technique of a club player vs improvin the technique of a basement player.

As for equipment, my advice is to borrow and test in your club or if you have money buy and try. You can always go back and you always learn something.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Very good.
Regarding consistancy, its good either to do multiball, or to play with a coach or a partner with better blocking consistancy. Your consistency depends a lot on the consistancy of the balls you receive.
But you are doing well.
Just a little remark - it seems to me from the angle of the bat that you put a little bit more sidespin than needed, whilst the excercise is more about top spin.

erm

This user has no status.

erm

This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Read 1 reviews
One quick advice, you are too muscle tight through your swing...learn how to relax and swing more freely from a relaxed stance, shoulder and arm
in term or rubbers if you use chinese rubbers you have to stay on top of your tuning. otherwise, 05 hard, K1 Pro, K2 are some rubbers that will ease your transition...but i would go to H3 provicial blue sponge or H3 neo provincial blue and tune

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Looks like you have a solid foundation for your forehand topspin. You have good rotation on you body as well as a compact and explosive strike in your forearm. I would say your forehand is looking very good and powerfull already but you could make it even more powerfull by adding the last ingredient...

The last ingredient is (more) weight transfer. I see you keep your upper body very verticle while rotating back and forth and I dont see you lean from back right (starting position) to front left (finish position). If you add this into your technique it will drasticly increase the power you can put into your forehand in an instant.

As for you equipment I usually dont reccommend using Chinese sticky rubbers because they require perfect technique to get everything out of the rubber. Tensor rubbers generate more speed and equal spin at slower strokes but also have a limit to the ammount of spin you can generate so at some point it doesnt matter how fast you strike the ball; you cant get more spin (at least not alot). With Chinese tacky rubbers you have less speed at slow strokes, I would even say they have less speed overall compared to tensor rubbers. But Chinese rubbers dont have this limit to spinat greater force; The faster the stroke, the more spin even at maximum power.

But hey if you like the rubber, use it. You could try someone elses bat and see what benefits you the most and make a decision whether you want to use a tensor or not.

Best of luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Just a little remark - it seems to me from the angle of the bat that you put a little bit more sidespin than needed, whilst the excercise is more about top spin.
Just curious, what is wrong with the angle of the bat here?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Why wrong? While effective its never wrong.
The question is whats the excercise for - top spin, side spin, mixed spin.
Let me rephrase, not wrong, but you mention that the angle of the bat gives more sidespin. How is the angle off here for regular top spin and how to correct it? This is not critique. I am just curious since I could not see it in the video, but it may still be a little off, and it is always good to learn something new from an analysis.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews

Let me rephrase, not wrong, but you mention that the angle of the bat gives more sidespin. How is the angle off here for regular top spin and how to correct it? This is not critique. I am just curious since I could not see it in the video, but it may still be a little off, and it is always good to learn something new from an analysis.

Fast forward to about 0:58 in the video and it really looks like quite a bit of side spin (but it could the angle of the video fooling my eye).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
You hit the ball too much in front of the body, that's why you hit it with sidespin and lack some power.
Try standing closer to the table and use wrist in upwards direction, not sideways.