Should I change my blade or rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
[FONT=&quot]Introduction:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hey guys, recently I've purchased a new bat since my previous one was about 6 years old. When purchasing a new bat, I had in mind that I wanted it to be slightly more powerful than my previous one.I've been playing with my new bat for about 2 months now, and it is much more powerful than my previous bat. I liked it at first, but I also noticed the amount of focus and effort I had to put to return the balls consistently.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Some information about myself:I would label myself as a medium skilled player, at about 1300 rating. I've been playing for 2-3 years, with 2 trainings per week on average. I am 21 years old. My play style is fairly all-round to the offensive side. I can comfortably serve, shove, spin and block. But I intend to become stronger at offense.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Current situation:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So yesterday, a beginner player at my club purchased a new bat, and I asked if I could try it. His bat was noticeably lighter than my own and I played some rallies. Wow, I was so surprised. Suddenly playing regular forehand in the diagonal seemed like child's play. So much more consistency and control than I have with my own bat! Then we switched to opening and looping. Once again I felt totally in control of the openings and looping style that had been quite difficult before.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I tried another one of my friend's bats also. It was a carbon blade, but much lighter than mine. I am not quite sure about his rubbers, but I felt like I had much more control again than with my own bat! Especially the serves. I could suddenly serve much shorter again, similar to what I could with my older bat. Also the opening and blocking seemed much more precise. I was baffled about the fact that with a random bat that I've never played with before, I can play much more consistently and comfortably than with my own bat that I train with twice a week![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Conclusion:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am quite sure that my own newly purchased bat can play spinnier and harder-hitting balls, but I really don't know if the lack of consistency is worth it.Should I switch the new rubbers onto my old blade, or stick with the carbon blade? Or should I be looking to go for an entirely new setup? Am I not ready for 2.0 mm rubbers, or is that not the problem? Should I stop complaining and just keep playing to the best of my ability? I am hoping you can give me some advice on what to do. I spend quite a bit of money on my new bat, so I'm trying to not to spend too much more unless it is really needed.I will list the specifications, as far I know them, down below:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My old bat:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Blade: Donic Appelgren Allplay (wood only, no carbon)
Forehand Rubber: Xiom Vega Asia, thickness 1.8mm (guess)
Backhand Rubber: Xiom Vega Asia, thickness 1.8mm (guess)
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My new/current bat:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Blade: Donic Waldner Carbon Senso
Forehand Rubber: Rhyzm-P, thickness 2.1mm
BackHand Rubber: Xiom Omega IV Europe, thickness 2.0mm
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My beginner teammate's bat:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Blade: I don't know the exact blade, but I know it is 5-layer Plywood (wood only, no carbon)
Forehand Rubber: A regular rubber I think, thickness 1.9mm
Backhand Rubber: A regular rubber I think, thickness 1.7mm
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you seek more specific information regarding this bats, such as pictures or missing data filled in, I can try to acquire more specific data[/FONT]

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. Get a new blade. Maybe get a Butterfly Primorac Off-. It is very similar to the Appelgren Allplay but a bit faster. It has the same ply construction as the Allplay.

Put whatever rubbers you feel comfortable with on it. You could put the rubbers from either of the previous rackets. Or you could just get new rubbers.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
So you think the carbon blade I have currently is not useful, but could I not use my old blade instead?
The rubbers from my previous racket are very old, so I don't think they are re-usable. So you suggest I just keep using the 2mm thickness rubbers then, but with another blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Waldner senso carbon is quite flexy and not too fast but if you feel it's too fast then definitely switch new rubbers to your appelgren.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So you think the carbon blade I have currently is not useful, but could I not use my old blade instead?
The rubbers from my previous racket are very old, so I don't think they are re-usable. So you suggest I just keep using the 2mm thickness rubbers then, but with another blade.

Yeah. The new rubbers on the old blade may be a good idea.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Pound the hate button on me now and get it done with, but I'll be frank. If you feel like it, send the Goon Squad after my old, fat azz.

It really isn't gunna matter much right now. Play with whatever you feel good with. but take note, once you play with a setup for a spell and try someone else's bat, you may like it right away and maybe get it... then after a month, you are same or worse off. Why? The player's fundamental skills needed in the sport are likely not improved by this bat or that. (although an appropriate bat makes it easier to do most things)

Unless you are getting effective coaching for continuous years, you are not going to get a decent foundation to grow and grow as you can. Sure, you can improve just by playing better players and hearing this tip or the other and learn from TT forums. Yet, you are going to be deficient in so many ways it is gunna be silly.

There are arguments for and against faster gear or slower middle of the road gear. The pundits mostly say gear too fast will not encourage or reward you for proper strokes, but kinda reward crappy half-azz one. The pundits say that the slower stuff will force you to swing more proper to get the job done. Some people say it is easier to operate with faster equipment for some or most of what they do. If what they do is poke at the ball, sure. I mostly agree with the pundits on those points, but add on that it doesn't matter, since a player without effective coaching is gunna be so ate up on reading spin, judging depth, footwork, strike zone management, stroke mechanics, touch, serves, serve return, tactics, and whatever other metric you can measure... such a player without coaching is gunna be jacked up compared to the same player receiving effective coaching for years...

So, I say have at it and feel good, spend bucko bucks for months on end, the equipment sellers will love you. I also say you could keep what you have and simply start taking lessons from an effective coach if you are lucky to have a real club near you and even luckier to find a coach who can show you what is what.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Thanks for taking your time respond. Reading what you've just put down here was very insightful. You have a very holistic view on the matter at hand. I think things you stated, such as getting a one-on-one coach is not possible for me. I am not young enough any longer to be taking that route I'm afraid. The concepts you described speak of a high skill level when mastered, I might have to learn them on my own without coaching. Even if this is a hard road, I've been successful at other forms of competition before.
If we consider the problem at hand, I am looking for a way to resolve this issue without spending over 40 euro or so.
So preferably I was looking for a way to combine my blades / rubbers somehow to create something, or buy very cheap parts newly.
My main questions would be:
0) What part of the equipment do you think is mainly responsible for the uncontrolled feeling I have when playing with the bat?
1) Do you think it is beneficial to change up my equipment?
2) Do you think my equipment will deteriorate when re-used?
3) What do you think would be the best combination of equipment's I posses to try?
4) And lastly, if I would be buying new gear, what part do you recommend to buy newly?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Yep. Get a new blade. Maybe get a Butterfly Primorac Off-. It is very similar to the Appelgren Allplay but a bit faster. It has the same ply construction as the Allplay.

Put whatever rubbers you feel comfortable with on it. You could put the rubbers from either of the previous rackets. Or you could just get new rubbers.

Do you think that if I put my new rubbers on my old blade (appelgren allplay) it would be a bad choice? Because you talked about a new blade instead.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Go with an all wood 5 ply blade. You do not need composite blades now. Control is still the most. Important factor.

So you'd say that the carbon blade is the main responsible component for the loss of control. Using my new rubbers on my old blade would solve this issue?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Stiga azalea all or Xiom all around S will not disappoint you too.

That azalea blade looks beautiful, wow. Do you reckon it's possible to re-use my old blade, or should I definitely pick up a new blade? And could I be using my new rubbers alongside? And lastly, how should I remove and re-use rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
BIG UPDATE

So one of the big differences I forgot to mention is that this new carbon blade of mine has a hollow handle, with 2 gaps. Making the bat heavier in the head relatively I think. Could this have big impact on my play also?

BIG UPDATE

So one of the big differences I forgot to mention is that this new carbon blade of mine has a hollow handle, with 2 gaps. Making the bat heavier in the head relatively I think. Could this have big impact on my play also?

To answer this we need a good picture of your grip from both sides.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
If your old equipment was 6 years old then it really doesn't matter what you buy or don't buy. The difference between new and old is much bigger than between types of rubbers.
If you get your vega asia again, new rubber, it'll still be night and day difference prolly. Also plenty controllable and spinny.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Thanks for taking your time respond. Reading what you've just put down here was very insightful. You have a very holistic view on the matter at hand. I think things you stated, such as getting a one-on-one coach is not possible for me. I am not young enough any longer to be taking that route I'm afraid. The concepts you described speak of a high skill level when mastered, I might have to learn them on my own without coaching. Even if this is a hard road, I've been successful at other forms of competition before.
If we consider the problem at hand, I am looking for a way to resolve this issue without spending over 40 euro or so.
So preferably I was looking for a way to combine my blades / rubbers somehow to create something, or buy very cheap parts newly.
0) What part of the equipment do you think is mainly responsible for the uncontrolled feeling I have when playing with the bat?
3) What do you think would be the best combination of equipment's I posses to try?
4) And lastly, if I would be buying new gear, what part do you recommend to buy newly?

I think things you stated, such as getting a one-on-one coach is not possible for me. I might have to learn them on my own without coaching.

I get it. I have worn your shoes also when I started TT. I was no where near a club, even further from a coach. All I had to go on was a book, forum posts, and my own judgment. Unfortunately, that didn't lead me to much improvement. TT requires a lot of fundamentals and going it alone never got me any progress. Sure, there are people who learn real good touch and control after 10-20 years if they play enough without coaching, but they are very few.

I am frequently bashing TT players for being such cheapskate Scrooge misers... but sometimes, it is just a reality for some people that there will not be much of an economic commitment for various personal reasons and I gotta respect that.

One of the all time middle of the road bats I recommend over the years is the "Der_Echte Special".

Blade - NEW Yinhe 896 (15 Teuros)
FH Rubber - recycle a FH rubber you have
BH Rubber - NEW Dawei XP2008 Super Power (a mid firm non-tacky control rubber) (7 Teuros)

You could prolly get this from ebay or directly from a Chinese seller.

Control is such an often used word many of us do not really use properly or comprehend. My own personal view of this in relation to equipment is equipment that makes it EASIER or VERY EASY to perform a certain shot with consistency and quality. That is a mouthful, isn't it? Having said that, control is going to mean different things for different situations. It is going to come down to your personal evaluation of what shots you need to perform the most and selecting equipment that makes it easy to do that. Middle of the road equipment USUALLY will make it easy to do most of the stuff you need to do... but none of that stuff feels powerful... so a lot of players shy away... bad idea. Error on the side of landing it on the table without inflicting wounds on your opponent or damaging the club walls with 40mm holes like a war zone.
Yes, if the equipment is not making it easy to do what you need to do for the most frequent situations. No, if you already have equipment that makes it easier.
Rubbers will deteriorate, it is a matter of physics... but at 7 Euros a sheet, for a rubber you can easily use for 300 hours or more (that is 3-18 months depending on how often you play... you can afford a new sheet of a modern FH rubber you like every few months.
I think you are in a better position to judge this, unless I had a chance to see you play a few times. If you like to drive the ball without a lot of topspin, then these fast, solid, stiff OFF or OFF+ blades with a control rubber are in your zone. If you want to learn to spin the ball and feel the ball and learn touch, then those slower ALL, ALL+, or OFF- blades with flex and a modern control rubber are in your zone. You know better than me right now what is best for YOU, because You know you better than I know you.
This will depend on your personal assessment of what makes it easy to do what you need to do or want to do... right now, YOU know this best. If you already have gear that fits the bill, keep using it, if not, trade it away and get equipment that fits what you are trying to do. Unless you are a fast drive monster, that ALL blade is just fine with new rubbers. 40 Euros is not a lot of money... but Euro vendors always have some kind of sale on a modern control rubber, so keep looking around. The trick is to get it in the softness/firmness you need. Firmer for more driving, softer for more spinning right now.