Should I change my blade or rubbers?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
BIG UPDATE

So one of the big differences I forgot to mention is that this new carbon blade of mine has a hollow handle, with 2 gaps. Making the bat heavier in the head relatively I think. Could this have big impact on my play also?

Hahahaha triple quadruple hahaha. erm got me playing with one of the Donic blades with that kind of handle and the look on my face when I saw that handle was PRECIOUS !!!

TTD member erm is prolly the largest and most expert EJ on the planet and knows every blade maker, plus is uber-skilled.

He had seen enough of me play and gifted me several blades to tryout and transition to use. The one that fit the feel and spin game I do is the Donic Person Power Play (OFF-)... but the modern versions have that hollowed out handle that I have been on record as HATING !!! However, I played using my regular rubbers and I could land it consistent, so I had to be practical and go with it. GOOD DECISION, within a year, I was having my best-ever tourney performances.

All in all, I think the arch aspect of that handle can actually STRENGTHEN the torsional portion of the neck... much like a combat knife having portions of the upper part of the blade hollowed out. The overall balance of my setup wasn't very head heavy (which I would really hate on that) and I would say your thin sponged rubbers are not going to make your bat too head heavy at all.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
BIG UPDATE

So one of the big differences I forgot to mention is that this new carbon blade of mine has a hollow handle, with 2 gaps. Making the bat heavier in the head relatively I think. Could this have big impact on my play also?
Nope, in fact the plate of DWSC is smaller than common may be 155~mm instead 157, I had several DWSC and weren't heavy, I put on it 2 MX-P; r7 and H3N; XSF x2 and it wasn't head heavy, but the feeling is strange.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
If I buy new blade or new rubber - I am playing like fire 1-2 weeks, then the quality of the game falls.
I take my old bat - - I am playing like fire 1-2 weeks again.

Conclusion 1 - if you want to test a new one bat - use it 2-3 weeks.
Conclusion 2 - a good idea to have two setup, one fast, the second control. And change them from time to time, every 3-6 months.
Conclusion 2 - an even better idea is to have one setup and not change it until it falls apart.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You can keep the old blade. You can buy a new blade. You can keep the old rubbers. You can buy new rubbers.

If your old rubbers were 6 years old, some of the problem you may be having is how different new rubbers are in comparison to 6 year old rubbers. Add to that going to a carbon blade. That is a recipe for not such good things.

There are no wrong choices here though. If you settle on something and you feel comfortable with it, you made the right choice. Part of the problem with asking people on the internet for advice on what you need, we don't really see you play. We don't really know what is going on with your game, what you need, what would be good for you.

And from your words, we can't really tell if the rubbers on the old blade were so old and dead that they played like antispin or if they still had grip.

Start with trying things that won't cost you more money. Put the new rubbers on the old blade and see if that works for your game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks for taking your time respond. Reading what you've just put down here was very insightful. You have a very holistic view on the matter at hand. I think things you stated, such as getting a one-on-one coach is not possible for me. I am not young enough any longer to be taking that route I'm afraid. The concepts you described speak of a high skill level when mastered, I might have to learn them on my own without coaching. Even if this is a hard road, I've been successful at other forms of competition before.
If we consider the problem at hand, I am looking for a way to resolve this issue without spending over 40 euro or so.
So preferably I was looking for a way to combine my blades / rubbers somehow to create something, or buy very cheap parts newly.
My main questions would be:
0) What part of the equipment do you think is mainly responsible for the uncontrolled feeling I have when playing with the bat?
1) Do you think it is beneficial to change up my equipment?
2) Do you think my equipment will deteriorate when re-used?
3) What do you think would be the best combination of equipment's I posses to try?
4) And lastly, if I would be buying new gear, what part do you recommend to buy newly?

The main point of of DerEchte's post is that if you don't get a coach or have a friend to help you, the time you are putting into this inquiry will make no difference. You won't get a unanimous answer any ways. Hopefully something you hear will make you feel better.