Forum format

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey all,

What are people’s thoughts on the software for this forum and MYTT?

I’m a member of a number of online forums, and most of them use Discourse to host it, which is by far and away the best forum software I’ve used.

I find MYTT pretty much unusable now (slow and constant errors), and both forums look horrendous on mobile (Tapatalk is OK, but it’s not great).

It feels like the forum is stuck in an age of speed glue, celluloid balls and games up to 21!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Both Mytt and TTD are bad by modern standard.

Mytt runs on Web Wiz, which is closed source and ancient. Same for TTD, which runs on vBulletin, again closed source, and is maintained around an ancient base code.

The constant background polling and the ads make TTD such a resource hog. Big minus compared to Mytt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I find that TTD is fast enough and is simple to use. I don't see a need for changing except I don't like doing a copy and paste only to find the black back ground is copied too.

I also visit some engineering forums. Some are not as good as TTD. My forum use PHPBBS and great but it doesn't get the traffic that MYTT, OOAK, or TTD do so it is hard to judge. I also need to get the post # added to each post in a thread. We host our forum on a virtual machine that has a very fast server. The server runs several virtual machines easily.

Yes, it costs money and time to run a forum. It also takes time to back up the forum every day or at least use a big enough back up device so incremental backups can be done for a week automatically. Then the back up must be moved off site. Maybe a TT forum doesn't care about all this but I was really p!$$ed when an engineering forum I was on crashed and lost the whole data base. All that information gone! All the time typing it in, wasted! Now I am smarter and I keep a doc file of stuff that I have posted on the engineering forums so just incase. My Apple computers can make webarchives.

Since TT forums have mostly opinions and links to YouTube videos, it is hard to get too excited about TT forums.
I don't expect that much from TT forums. If the person that is running the forum was really good at modifying the forum he can probably make more money programming that playing TT. In other words, the forum is just a hobby that doesn't pay so we should be happy with what we have.

Off topic but interesting on a Chinese forum the person that starts the thread or topic is the landlord, the posts are called floors. This post will be floor #11.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I like this forum better because i Do not like the look of mytt. I also feel that the users there seem to be a little more arrogant ans think they know it all. Maybe they have played a short period of time or at a low level. I feel that if you have played for a while or know somewhat much about the sport you are humble enough because you undeestand that there are much much more to learn. Newcomers to the sport often seem pretty sure of them self i think and have not really understand yet that there are several ways to play tabletennis. What i mean is that i think the attitude and spirit is much friendlier here and i appreciate that.

NDH

says Spin to win!
TTD certainly has it's own identity - But I very rarely look at anything other than the forum (not sure how other people use it).

For me, I think discussion and participation would be higher with an easier forum format.

Whilst the Discourse forums can end up looking a little similar, you can still customise them enough to have their own identity.

Purely "thinking out loud" here, I don't expect anything to change.

I just very rarely contribute to this unless I'm sat down at my desktop, just because the mobile experience is poor.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I post mobile often. You can view the regular site in a mobile phone if you have a good data plan. I guess the issue is that some people still need mobile views.

It's just very fiddly and not particularly nice to look at.

Especially when you are used to the Discourse type of forums which look very nice on mobile (personal opinion of course).

Jan 2018
As I wrote above, the said forum software were written before smart phones were the norm. They were developed and designed for full-fledged desktop/laptop environments, using old web standards that were implemented differently across different browsers, and to ensure maximum compatibility, offered severely limited functionalities that often needed hacks because they were never designed to accommodate video/audio/social networking in the 1st place.

Discourse, OTOH, is modern(2013 vs 2000 for vBulletin and 2001 for Web Wiz). Designed with all the above in mind and based on the latest web standards.

The comment that TTD has its own identity is hilarious because every forum with vBulletin as the backbone has a similar look. Same for Mytt on Web Wiz. Same for ooak on phpBB. It depends how the owner tweaks the layout but there's only so much that the owner could customize.

Last edited:
Reactions: lVegita
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: lVegita
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I like this forum better because i Do not like the look of mytt. I also feel that the users there seem to be a little more arrogant ans think they know it all. Maybe they have played a short period of time or at a low level. I feel that if you have played for a while or know somewhat much about the sport you are humble enough because you undeestand that there are much much more to learn. Newcomers to the sport often seem pretty sure of them self i think and have not really understand yet that there are several ways to play tabletennis. What i mean is that i think the attitude and spirit is much friendlier here and i appreciate that.

Haha Lula, that is why I wrote that post about higher level players and coaches being discouraged to post on TT forums.

Some forums have more of that crowd, and yes, for whatever reason, more of them historically hang out at MyTT.

It isn't because of the leadership, they are all fine folk who do not encourage that behavior, but it is there more frequent.

Reactions: Lula

NDH

says Spin to win!