• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    1. Top | #1
      says all about Chinese equip

Advanced TTD Member Country: China
      Equipment:
      Blade DHS W968
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Orange Sponge)
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Orange Sponge)

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts

MaLong's injury: Very serious, may affect 2020 olympics.

Zhang Lei is CTTF vice chairman, Beijing Team's headcoach, and MaLong's former Coach. He gave an interview on Ma Long's injuries:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-02-24_123242.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	18608

"Malong's injury is very serious, very. Now I start to worry that he may not be able to join the 2020 Olympics.
      "Not only knees, he has injury on wrist and waist. It is probably due to too many tournaments last year. "
      "Because ITTF's rules change on rankings, he has to join more tournaments, Nearly without resting. And after thosem, he also played in the premier League for 3 month. These all worsen the injuries."
      "He has not been training recently, all focus on recovery. So it's a question whether he can recover from injury, or even if recover, will he be able to keep the atheletic feel."
      "His training in Shenzhen in the next month is very importment, but whether he can join the WTTC in April, is still unknown. "

In the mean time, Malong retweet the Kobe film, emphasizing on Mamba Mentality -- Never fear, constantly try to be the best version of yourself.
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-02-24_124849.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	18609
      Last edited by G_ZHANG; 02-24-2019 at 11:59 AM.
      Feel free to ask me anything about Chinese equipment... Hurricane, w968, 506, n301....

2. The Following 2 Users Like G_ZHANG's Post:

Atas Newton (02-24-2019),Dr Evil (02-24-2019)

3. Top | #2
      says Warp Speed

Senior TTD Member Country: South Korea

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Zhang Jike ALC
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega IV Pro
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega V Pro

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,007 Times in 501 Posts
      First ZJK and now ML. I would attribute loss of these stars squarely on ITTF. Changing the ball and then changing ranking rules to play more on the pro tour !! I still hope ML can still make it through but at his age , it is difficult,especially when after comeback, the only thing you want is gold in Olympics and nothing less.

4. The Following 3 Users Like drunix80's Post:

anchorschmidt (02-24-2019),Andyzhao123 (02-25-2019),romanzdk (02-24-2019)

5. Top | #3
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: Australia

Equipment:
      Blade Custom w968/N301
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Dignics 09c
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Moristo SP 2.2 max red

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 40 Times in 37 Posts
      Sad =( he is so interesting to watch =( guessing soon Xu Xin maybe join them?

6. Top | #4
      This user has no status.

Verified Pro Coach
      Master TTD Member Country: South Africa

Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 2,399 Times in 1,290 Posts
      Its not only the Chinese that are breaking down.
      Every top country have players that are bandaged together to keep going

ITTF Athlete commission should really fight back about the silliness of jeopodising players health for ITTF commercial gains
      BYE BYE

7. The Following 2 Users Like Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

729B2 (02-24-2019),romanzdk (02-24-2019)

8. Top | #5
      says 快、準、狠、變、轉

Master TTD Member Country: Hong Kong

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6,592 Times in 2,811 Posts
      Race for Tokyo 2020 - China, Japan
      Time capsules - 2020, 2024, 2028

9. The Following 2 Users Like zeio's Post:

Der_Echte (02-24-2019),Janard (02-24-2019)

10. Top | #6
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: United States

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 151 Times in 84 Posts
      Possibly the two greatest players of all time knocked out by injuries. End of an era. Or maybe the beginning of an incredible dual comeback ending in a final confrontation for Olympic gold.

11. Top | #7
      says 快、準、狠、變、轉

Master TTD Member Country: Hong Kong

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6,592 Times in 2,811 Posts

12. The Following 4 Users Like zeio's Post:

akoozab (02-25-2019),Atas Newton (02-24-2019),Giangt (02-24-2019),RidTheKid (02-24-2019)

13. Top | #8
      says Spinsanity

Senior TTD Member Country: Portugal

Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Liked 107 Times in 77 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
      Possibly the two greatest players of all time knocked out by injuries. End of an era. Or maybe the beginning of an incredible dual comeback ending in a final confrontation for Olympic gold.
      I don't believe that ZJK come back again, but a "mature" ML vs ZJK Olympic final would be perfect!
      "Table Tennis is a perfect combination of violent action taking place in a atmosphere of total tranquility"

14. Top | #9
      says Looping

Senior TTD Member Country: Europe
      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Tomokazu Harimoto Innerforce ALC
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Dignics 05
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Dignics 05

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 537 Times in 329 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by drunix80 View Post
      First ZJK and now ML. I would attribute loss of these stars squarely on ITTF. Changing the ball and then changing ranking rules to play more on the pro tour !! I still hope ML can still make it through but at his age , it is difficult,especially when after comeback, the only thing you want is gold in Olympics and nothing less.
      It's just as much on the Chinese national team not looking after his physical preparation well enough. He still played and almost all TT players do, way less than tennis players which is a much more physically demanding sport overall.
      Last edited by FruitLoop; 02-24-2019 at 03:24 PM.

15. The Following User Likes FruitLoop's Post:

Ilia Minkin (02-24-2019)

16. Top | #10
      says CHOLE!

Senior TTD Member Country: Russian Federation
      Equipment:
      Blade Yinhe/Galaxy W-6
      Forehand Rubber BH Sanwei T-88 Taiji
      Backhand Rubber FH 729 Battle II

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,069 Times in 474 Posts
      Timo began struggling with injuries right after the new system's introduction, Dima declined massively. Guess that's on CNT too. The system's just idiotic and it was obvious since the beginning. Tennis players are injured ALL the time, it's not a sport to look up to.
      the commentator lists Grand Slam winners, calls JOW John Oev Wellner, LGL Louis Goodland (not kidding)

17. Top | #11
      says Looping

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by Atas Newton View Post
      Timo began struggling with injuries right after the new system's introduction, Dima declined massively. Guess that's on CNT too. The system's just idiotic and it was obvious since the beginning. Tennis players are injured ALL the time, it's not a sport to look up to.
      That's on the German team. Also Timo is 37. Some tennis players are injured all the time, many are not. Federer wasn't injured for over a decade at one point.

Samsonov is playing at 42.

The amount of tournaments they play per year after the new rules is still tiny compared to other sports.

They need to prepare better physically. I have seen lots of footage of their strength training and they train with poor form and many useless exercises just for example.

18. Top | #12
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Sweden

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 61 Times in 28 Posts
      I don't see how his injuries are due to too many tournaments. Last year he won the german open and the china open. He lost in the quarterfinals at the japan open and the round of 32 at the bulgarian open. Meaning he played 4 open tournaments last year. He of course also played at the Team World Cup and World Championships. Those are 6 international tournaments. Calling 6 tournaments "too much" is ridiculous. His injuries are simply due to his age and his long career. He has been in the top 10 since 2007 I believe. That is more than 10 years on the very highest level of the sport. He has dedicated 20 years of his life to the sport. 20 years with lots and lots of training, exercise and competitions. It is normal for the human body to show some wear after such a long time. This is also not a unique disposition of table tennis. This stuff is happening in all kinds of sports. Sports have become a lot more professional in the last few decades, with more and more practices and competitions with higer intensity. Now I haven't checked any statistics on this, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the amount of injuries sustained by football players for example have increased significantly in the past decades. Same goes for a lot of other high intensity sports, e.g. see all the injuries of tennis players. We are reaching the limits of the human body. It is simply not made for such prolonged intense exercise.

well that is my opinion anyway.
      Last edited by BlueScr33n; 02-24-2019 at 03:40 PM.

19. The Following 7 Users Like BlueScr33n's Post:

Dr Evil (02-24-2019),FruitLoop (02-24-2019),Giangt (02-24-2019),LeoTT (02-27-2019),mart1nandersson (02-24-2019),NextLevel (02-24-2019),RidTheKid (02-24-2019)

20. Top | #13
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 245
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Dignics 09C
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Dignics 09C

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 13,055 Times in 5,807 Posts
      Timo has struggled with injuries throughout his TT career. In fact, this is one of the better periods of his career.
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

21. The Following User Likes NextLevel's Post:

anchorschmidt (02-24-2019)

22. Top | #14
      says Looping

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      6 tournaments where he averaged probably 3 hours or so on court in total. So 18 hours PER YEAR of tournament play. That's less than one grand slam final run for a male tennis player. Meanwhile he puts in 6 hours a day training probably but that couldn't possibly be the problem it must be the massive demands of tournaments.
      Last edited by FruitLoop; 02-24-2019 at 03:46 PM.

23. Top | #15
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by BlueScr33n View Post
      I don't see how his injuries are due to too many tournaments. Last year he won the german open and the china open. He lost in the quarterfinals at the japan open and the round of 32 at the bulgarian open. Meaning he played 4 open tournaments last year. He of course also played at the Team World Cup and World Championships. Those are 6 international tournaments. Calling 6 tournaments "too much" is ridiculous. His injuries are simply due to his age and his long career. He has been in the top 10 since 2007 I believe. That is more than 10 years on the very highest level of the sport. He has dedicated 20 years of his life to the sport. 20 years with lots and lots of training, exercise and competitions. It is normal for the human body to show some wear after such a long time. This is also not a unique disposition of table tennis. This stuff is happening in all kinds of sports. Sports have become a lot more professional in the last few decades, with more and more practices and competitions with higer intensity. Now I haven't checked any statistics on this, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the amount of injuries sustained by football players for example have increased significantly in the past decades. Same goes for a lot of other high intensity sports, e.g. see all the injuries of tennis players. We are reaching the limits of the human body. It is simply not made for such prolonged intense exercise.

well that is my opinion anyway.
      I agree with your opinion. Part of it I think is overuse of the body and another part is the inflammation caused by the powering of the body repeatedly with carbohydrates. But we will see how some of these things change over the coming decade.

24. The Following User Likes NextLevel's Post:

Der_Echte (02-24-2019)

25. Top | #16
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by FruitLoop View Post
      It's just as much on the Chinese national team not looking after his physical preparation well enough. He still played and almost all TT players do, way less than tennis players which is a much more physically demanding sport overall.
      I am not sure I agree that high level TT is less demanding than high level table tennis. The movements are very different and I suspect that TT is far more debilitating on the joints. I know people who have stopped playing TT and gone back to tennis and their knees and joints feel much better again. The speed of TT just forces you to do very unnatural things.

26. The Following 3 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

anchorschmidt (02-24-2019),Dr Evil (02-24-2019),ping fun (02-25-2019)

27. Top | #17
      says CHOLE!

Senior TTD Member Country: Russian Federation
      Equipment:
      Blade Yinhe/Galaxy W-6
      Forehand Rubber BH Sanwei T-88 Taiji
      Backhand Rubber FH 729 Battle II

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,069 Times in 474 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by FruitLoop View Post
      That's on the German team. Also Timo is 37. Some tennis players are injured all the time, many are not. Federer wasn't injured for over a decade at one point.

Samsonov is playing at 42.

The amount of tournaments they play per year after the new rules is still tiny compared to other sports.

They need to prepare better physically. I have seen lots of footage of their strength training and they train with poor form and many useless exercises just for example.
      Samsonov isn't playing a lot, he's not affected by the new system, but his ranking is. Fed is a one off. Timo had no problems when he was 36. And if two top teams are seemingly to blame, you know it's the system that's f'd up.

28. Top | #18
      says Looping

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      I am not sure I agree that high level TT is less demanding than high level table tennis. The movements are very different and I suspect that TT is far more debilitating on the joints. I know people who have stopped playing TT and gone back to tennis and their knees and joints feel much better again. The speed of TT just forces you to do very unnatural things.
      I disagree, you could not play tennis, just to use you as an example. They put in vastly more miles at a higher intensity. It's harder on both the aerobic/anaerobic system and on the joints in terms of forces. The forces around the elbow when serving alone is more than a table tennis player would experience on any shot, nevermind knees on hard courts etc.

29. Top | #19
      says Looping

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Samsonov isn't playing a lot, he's not affected by the new system, but his ranking is. Fed is a one off. Timo had no problems when he was 36. And if two top teams are seemingly to blame, you know it's the system that's f'd up.
      Timo had many problems in his early 20's nevermind now. No I don't know the system is ****ed up by requiring players to play a tiny handful of tournaments a year. Quite the opposite. Also Samsonov is playing as much as Ma Long.

30. Top | #20
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: Christmas Island

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 163 Times in 73 Posts
      It's the flipside of being one of the top dogs in LGL's CNT. Surely they get worried about your health, but after repeatedly abusing, breaking and stitching your body in the first place. Of course ML is responsible for his own body and his ambitions, and he did make it to the top.

Anyway, wish he recovers. Hopefully he gets to play and enjoy some more great table tennis.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast