ZhangLei on MaLong's injury: Very serious, may affect 2020 olympics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
comparing TT with Tennis is silly.
Tennis didn't get a bigger ball. Tennis players didn't need to change training routine.

Back to TT, as this is the core here and for you all to realise what happened.
When the 40+ ball came to be, injury already started. And due to that physical training has increase few folds compared to before.
Players also (other than Japanese - whom are mostly younger than your world wide crowd) started to take part in less world tours.
In the same time - more and more club tournaments surfaced around the world. The Chinese didn't take part in too many of these, but your other top players sure did - T2, Indian Super league etc etc.

Overall the past 3 years saw more TT in the top players body - tournament/training etc then ITTF started to complain and we know the effect.

As I posted before - Cheng I Ching is still so young and forever in treatment. But she didn't miss any scheduled tournament.
Most of the time, she is playing with the aid of a medical staff (sponsored by the government to travel with her).

Table Tennis is not like your tennis. Tennis you do good in 1 year = the career earnings of your Top TT athlete - or maybe of the entire top 20's career added together
TT players does train more for lesser $
Its not comparable....
The rule changes all makes the "better player" weaker, thus they must work harder and harder than before.

Yes, Ma Long and ZJK has been playing for 25 years and they body are broken now.
But at the same stage Ma Lin (top footwork guy compared to the past 3 generation of CNT players), WLQ, WH retired with not much injury.
Now your ML, ZJK, TB, Dima all carrying injuries.

It is a fact that many national coaches agree the new ball is causing Injuries - I have spoken to a few personally over the past 2 years

During Portugal's Open, I think I saw about 4 or 5 players retired or injured.... I think that might be a record

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
comparing TT with Tennis is silly.
Tennis didn't get a bigger ball. Tennis players didn't need to change training routine.

Back to TT, as this is the core here and for you all to realise what happened.
When the 40+ ball came to be, injury already started. And due to that physical training has increase few folds compared to before.
Players also (other than Japanese - whom are mostly younger than your world wide crowd) started to take part in less world tours.
In the same time - more and more club tournaments surfaced around the world. The Chinese didn't take part in too many of these, but your other top players sure did - T2, Indian Super league etc etc.

Overall the past 3 years saw more TT in the top players body - tournament/training etc then ITTF started to complain and we know the effect.

As I posted before - Cheng I Ching is still so young and forever in treatment. But she didn't miss any scheduled tournament.
Most of the time, she is playing with the aid of a medical staff (sponsored by the government to travel with her).

Table Tennis is not like your tennis. Tennis you do good in 1 year = the career earnings of your Top TT athlete - or maybe of the entire top 20's career added together
TT players does train more for lesser $
Its not comparable....
The rule changes all makes the "better player" weaker, thus they must work harder and harder than before.

Yes, Ma Long and ZJK has been playing for 25 years and they body are broken now.
But at the same stage Ma Lin (top footwork guy compared to the past 3 generation of CNT players), WLQ, WH retired with not much injury.
Now your ML, ZJK, TB, Dima all carrying injuries.

It is a fact that many national coaches agree the new ball is causing Injuries - I have spoken to a few personally over the past 2 years

During Portugal's Open, I think I saw about 4 or 5 players retired or injured.... I think that might be a record

Ok then, I am genuinely curious. What exactly is different about the new ball that causes more injuries?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ok then, I am genuinely curious. What exactly is different about the new ball that causes more injuries?

Bigger ball = less speed and spin nowadays = longer rallies = more power used by players, but have less effect = learning new technique + new training methods = more strain on body to try and get the same speed and spin of before
All this with more and more TT in a calendar year = injuries

I think I've summed it up in 1 big equation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
[FONT=&quot]President of the Chinese Table Tennis Association, Liu Guoliang, had this to say about the Chinese superstar’s injury situation, in an interview to CCTV reporter Li Wujun:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When Ma Long injured his knee last year, at first he did not realise that it was especially serious. He thought that he would be able to make a quick recovery.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, as his knee started to hurt more and more, the Chinese team decided to pull him out of the Hungarian Open. They have hired a professional medical team and fitness team to help him, but it will take some time to make a full recovery.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ma Long is personally very eager to play again as soon as possible. Every day he is in training, doing physical exercise and working on skills.
I’ve told him that our ultimate goal is to be ready for 2020. We should be patient now and work towards a full recovery further down the line. We need to pay attention about how and when to use and rest our players, especially the relatively older ones.”[/FONT]

This user has no status.
I really hope Ma Long makes a recovery otherwise Fan Zhendong is going to have very little competition.
I mean there is still Harimoto, Calderano and Liang Jingkun, all who have beaten FZD at least once, so it's not like he won't be challenged at all.