How to backhand loop a super spinny pendulum serve that comes long

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Same passive stroke for all 3 points. Receiving this was really difficult in celluloid era, but with the ABS ball now, the OP could've killed them off if he had a real BH loop.

Watch the next point as well, would've ended up in the net if backspin:

Last edited:
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
The second serve wasn't a heavy sidespin serve, so there's no problem there.

If you're playing a beginner and want to have a laugh just lift the ball up like a lob back to the table, the spin will make the ball shoot to the left as if you did a snake lob and you win the point.

If you want to just answer the serve make sure you start with the racket under the table. This will force you to a topspin shot and gradually it'll fall into place.

Also you can forehand flick it infront of the body if it doesn't curve wildly out of the table, which is probably the most devastating way of answering it.

Also you can turn and forehand topspin it, somewhat avoiding the effect of the sidespin.

Also you can side-swipe the ball with the direction of the spin.

Yeah I know this isn't very useful but eh, you can answer the serve in so many ways. The only wrong way is to just place the bat there and let the spin take full effect.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
@NL
sorry to take it a bit personally, because i was among the 5 -only- posters before your post.
I remembered having seen OP's video before so i knew his level. OP may not know me, I think i'm not too far from his level, and my hitting partners every session are definitely as strong or stronger than both OP and that girl.

Its even more apparent on the points highlighted by zeio , especially the 2nd one [watch his right leg], but OP is going back and upper body going up while hitting the ball. Whether a kill shot or even a simpler receive, its not a good thing to do, and that needs to be corrected. He can just think about it, or perhaps he's doing that because he's surprised a bit so because the girl is good at long serves, just going back 5-10 cms in the receive position will give him the extra 1/10th to react.

OP has not made a single post since. I'm curious to know why he wants to kill the ball receiving ? is that his real intention ? he's good at rallies, and on the 1st point shown by zeio, even if it wasn't the best of all possible receives, it was good enough to force an error. If he wants to play a stronger BH when receiving, first don't go back, then its not about making a big stroke or using a lot of power, because the incoming ball is fast its really about timing taking the ball earlier I think and having the perfect angle (usually more closed than usual) adapted to the incoming spin. Be relaxed and use more wrist, and have a shorter stroke.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@NL
sorry to take it a bit personally, because i was among the 5 -only- posters before your post.
I remembered having seen OP's video before so i knew his level. OP may not know me, I think i'm not too far from his level, and my hitting partners every session are definitely as strong or stronger than both OP and that girl.

Its even more apparent on the points highlighted by zeio , especially the 2nd one [watch his right leg], but OP is going back and upper body going up while hitting the ball. Whether a kill shot or even a simpler receive, its not a good thing to do, and that needs to be corrected. He can just think about it, or perhaps he's doing that because he's surprised a bit so because the girl is good at long serves, just going back 5-10 cms in the receive position will give him the extra 1/10th to react.

OP has not made a single post since. I'm curious to know why he wants to kill the ball receiving ? is that his real intention ? he's good at rallies, and on the 1st point shown by zeio, even if it wasn't the best of all possible receives, it was good enough to force an error. If he wants to play a stronger BH when receiving, first don't go back, then its not about making a big stroke or using a lot of power, because the incoming ball is fast its really about timing taking the ball earlier I think and having the perfect angle (usually more closed than usual) adapted to the incoming spin. Be relaxed and use more wrist, and have a shorter stroke.

Sorry, there is a very specific target of these posts - it isn't you. Carl knows who it is and I apologize for being so broad when you gave good advice. Some people have been playing less than 2 years but cannot help themselves post on every thread about equipment, technique etc. I am not sure he is even a better player than you are to be honest.

His stroke is not perfect, but you can tell if you know his posts that he is trying to figure out his backhand as he has identified it as an opportunity for improvement. So it is more he is trying to understand what he can do with it, because he is still thinking of it as another forehand, which it can be, but it can only be that if you learn a stroke that makes it so, which is not where most people start with the backhand and in modern play, just about no one uses it except a few Europeans.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
He really isn't talking about returning it he is talking about being able to kill it the way he probably can if it comes to his forehand. Many players with good forehand and not so good or less confident even if good backhand often just want their backhand to be like their forehand and you have to get them to appreciate that backhand play is a different flavor of table tennis.

This is a great post.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks. Maybe "kill" is the wrong word, maybe I really mean "attack" but attack doesn't always convey the same sense of power.

Yep. I feel like I had an idea what you meant. The clarification and refinement of the terms is useful though. I might use the term "rip". There are some opening shots where I feel I can just rip the return with full confidence on FH. And on BH I would be much less confident. Not as high a level. But understanding the concept is good. And on opening shots, I sometimes do get caught in wanting my BH to be more like my FH. :) So the comment really resonated for me. It is an excellent insight. And it seems like it really may be part of what caused the OP to make the thread.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yep. I feel like I had an idea what you meant. The clarification and refinement of the terms is useful though. I might use the term "rip". There are some opening shots where I feel I can just rip the return with full confidence on FH. And on BH I would be much less confident. Not as high a level. But understanding the concept is good. And on opening shots, I sometimes do get caught in wanting my BH to be more like my FH. :) So the comment really resonated for me. It is an excellent insight. And it seems like it really may be part of what caused the OP to make the thread.

Yes, the word "rip" captures what I mean precisely. Everyone wants to rip a serve they can see (unless they don't want their opponent to stop serving it). It can be done with practice. But I wonder how much practice the OP has done. He has to try when he knows the spin.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm was suffering with those serves, the first that you can do is prepare for the service, you should bent more your knees, loose your fingers and wrists, stand on your toes, then will be easier do a short and fast move adjustment, try to anticipate where the ball goes, even when the services are long both those are not the same, so try to adjust your stance to the ball. You can return on short, long backspin or attack BH, if you want kill the point FH be sure to have the enough space and hit with confidence, that is very important too, btw do you feel sure in your strokes and your game? And the last, try always to play focused, then you'll improve faster.

The second serve wasn't a heavy sidespin serve, so there's no problem there.

If you're playing a beginner and want to have a laugh just lift the ball up like a lob back to the table, the spin will make the ball shoot to the left as if you did a snake lob and you win the point.

If you want to just answer the serve make sure you start with the racket under the table. This will force you to a topspin shot and gradually it'll fall into place.

Also you can forehand flick it infront of the body if it doesn't curve wildly out of the table, which is probably the most devastating way of answering it.

Also you can turn and forehand topspin it, somewhat avoiding the effect of the sidespin.

Also you can side-swipe the ball with the direction of the spin.

Yeah I know this isn't very useful but eh, you can answer the serve in so many ways. The only wrong way is to just place the bat there and let the spin take full effect.

These are both classic. I am not sure which is more entertaining. Well, yes I am. :)