CNT Coaches Roster 2019 & Introduction of Performance Appraisal

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
CNT Literacy Blaster Series

CNT Coaches Roster 2019 & Introduction of Performance Appraisal

jRoplx3.jpg

Either men's/women's coaching staff which doesn't pass the performance appraisal -> Commander-in-chief LGL forfeits a year's worth of salary

ujnWzyB.jpg

CNT Coaches Roster
Men's
Headcoach - Qin Zhijian
A-team leader - Liu Guozheng
B-team leader - Chen Zhenjiang
A-team coaches - Wang Hao, Chen Qi, Liu Heng, Liu Zhiqiang, Zhang Yang
B-team coaches - Yu Yang, Wang Jianjun
VMASLF4.jpg

Women's
Headcoach - Li Sun
A-team leader - Ma Lin
B-team leader - Yan Sen
A-team coaches - Xiao Zhan, Qiu Yike, Guo Yan, Huang Haicheng, Ma Junfeng
B-team coaches - Li Dacheng, Zhu Wentao, Wang Xiang
JhLIk3B.jpg

vbbKJMJ.jpg

Performance Appraisal for Men's/Women's A-Team Coaching Staff and Reward-Penalty System
- Point table based on consideration of the Olympic events in important tournaments, the coaching staff will be assessed at the end of 2019.

- Only when the CNT is the winner, will the coaching staff be allocated the corresponding points; 0 points otherwise. Different points for different levels. A maximum of 18000 pts available. A minimum of 12000 pts to pass. If 12000-14000 pts accrued, CTTA will consult the panel for evaluation/adjustment; if the coaching staff makes multiple blunders in major tournaments, CTTA reserves the right to make adjustment.

- Reward/Penalty for member of the coaching staff is directly connected to the points accrued by the coaching staff. Both headcoach and team leader of the failing coaching staff will be demoted to the next lower position.

- Base salaries for coaches, team leaders, and headcoaches are graded progressively in accordance with job duties and job responsibilities. Only the coaching staff member who passes will receive the base salaries; those who overachieve will receive bonuses accordingly, more points, more reward; those who fail will be deducted 50% of their base salaries as penalty.

(TL's note: Panel is composed of renowned coaches and former grand slam players, such as Zhang Yining, Wang Nan, Li Xiaoxia.)

cyJQDp2.jpg

Point Table
Code:
Level | Tournament | Event | Points for Winner | Subtotal
      | WTTC       | MS/WS | 4000              |
L1    |            | XD    | 2000              | 11000
      | TWC        | MT/WT | 2500              |
      | ATTC       | MT/WT | 2500              |
---------------------------------------------------------
      | M/W WC     | MS/WS | 1000              |
L2    | ATTC       | MS/WS | 1000              | 4000
      |            | XD    | 1000              |
      | AC         | MS/WS | 1000              |
      | CHN OPN    | MS/WS | 500               |
      |            | XD    | 500               |
L3    | JPN OPN    | MS/WS | 500               | 3000
      | ITTF WT GF | MS/WS | 500               |
                                        Total: | 18000

qChtUr7.jpg

Reward-Penalty System
Penalty <12000 pts
Pass =12000 pts
Evaluation 12000~14000 pts
Reward >14000 pts

8BYOE8z.jpg

pYvLBFD.jpg

For more:
http://www.xinhuanet.com/sports/2019-02/25/c_1124160225.htm
http://sports.people.com.cn/BIG5/n1/2019/0225/c22162-30901001.html
http://www.ctta.cn/xwzx/ppxw/2019/0225/207702.html
http://www.ctta.cn/xwzx/xhdt/2019/0225/207705.html

Staff roster for Marvelous 12 2019
spNSGAfh.jpg

20eWF60h.jpg

Translating only the ones near the end:
Physical fitness coaches: (6 people)
Yang Xianjun, Tomislav, Wang Xuan, Wang Xiang, Zhang Guofeng, Bartosz Bibrowicz

Doctors: (9 people)
Shang Xuedong, Li Xukun, Wang Douchun, Wen Jianshan, Yuan Chaoming, Liu Cunzhi, Zhang Haochen, Min Leizi, Ming Anghan

Physical therapists: (5 people)
Judge Karla(F), Phares Franklen, Jakub Radina, Rafal Hejna, Dionne Vernon(F)

Analysts: (4 people)
Zhou Xingdong, Wu Kaifeng, Qian Lei, Huo Jiasheng

Chef: (1 person)
Wang Feng

Last edited:
Jan 2018
I haven't been following closely but here are the ones off the top of my head.

Ma Long - Ma Lin a while ago but coachless now
Fan Zhendong - Wang Hao
Xu Xin - Wu Jingping but he's announced his retirement (again, hopefully finally). No idea who is taking over
Lin Gaoyuan - Liu Heng
Liang Jingkun, Fang Bo - Liu Zhiqiang

Ding Ning - Guo Yan will replace Chen Bin who has just announced his retirement
Liu Shiwen - Ma Lin has taken over from Xiao Zhan who has been accused of leaving LSW unattended. LSW actually complained on her Weibo not too long ago, after losing to Ito at Swedish Open that she's been on her own for over a year
Wang Manyu - Xiao Zhan

Update 190228 from observations of Marvelous 12
Xu Xin, Yu Ziyang - Chen Qi
Xue Fei - Wang Hao
Xu Chenhao, Zhao Zhihao - Zhang Yang
Wang Chuqin - Liu Guozheng
Zhou Kai - Liu Heng

Chen Meng, Sun Yingsha, He Zhuojia - Huang Haicheng
Zhu Yuling, Chen Xingtong - Qiu Yike
Sun Mingyang - Xiao Zhan
Wu Yang, Gu Yuting - Ma Junfeng

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah I wonder why some of the female legends aren't used as coaches when so many men are. What is Wang Liqin or Kong Linghui doing I wonder as well.

It isn't always about opportunity it is sometimes about choice and whether coaching is something that the women really want to do at the national level given the world involved and the kind of reward. The top women tend to have good opportunities in things other than TT qs they seem to be able to run business and often have wealthy suitors. If I recall correctly, Guo Yan actually ran a training center post retirement (I think Matt Hetherington went there) so she might be someone who genuinely liked it. She also played what I thought was a very physical (some would say masculine) brand of table tennis. She probably can't step away from the sport meaningfully.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Yeah I wonder why some of the female legends aren't used as coaches when so many men are. What is Wang Liqin or Kong Linghui doing I wonder as well.

Many still subscribe to the gender norm that household and/or childcare responsibilities should fall upon the shoulders of the women after marriage (which is perfectly fine if they are enjoying themselves), hence less time for other commitments. Or they could be contributing to TT in other ways. For instance, Wang Nan started Ping Pong Hut which is an academy dedicated to developing young children's interest in sports (using TT as the fulcrum of course).

Wang Liqin is Vice-President of the Chinese Table Tennis Association. Prior to that, he was some kind of TT and Badminton Manager in Shanghai (上海乒乓球羽毛球运动中心主任一職).

Kong Linghui was approached by Liu Guoliang after the latter's return but outrightly stated that he wants to pursue other interests at the moment.

Jan 2018
I must say, this must be the tallest head coach combination of China of all time (since LGL occupied it, he bought the average height down a lot lol)

Yup, Qin Zhijian and Li Sun are over 6 foot tall. Never knew Liu Heng and Huang Haicheng are also this tall.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
I haven't been following closely but here are the ones off the top of my head.

ML - MLin a while ago but coachless now
FZD - WH
XX - WJP but he's announced his retirement (again, hopefully finally). No idea who is taking over
LGY - Liu Heng
LJK, FB - Liu Zhiqiang

DN - Guo Yan will replace Chen Bin who has just announced his retirement
LSW - MLin has taken over from Xiao Zhan who has been accused of leaving LSW unattended. LSW actually complained on her Weibo not too long ago, after losing to Ito at Swedish Open that she's been on her own for over a year
WMY - Xiao Zhan

OH , Xiao zhan Didnt care about her training ? You mean she was training alone? with no coach ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
OH , Xiao zhan Didnt care about her training ? You mean she was training alone? with no coach ?

It's actually a 'known secret' that Xiao Zhan only cares about Wang Manyu and spends all his efforts on her, almost like he's trying to create a female Zhang Jike 2.0. XZ followed WMY around during the recently concluded Chinese Table Tennis Super League even though he doesn't have to while LSW had to bank on Ma Lin's goodwill to give her pointers previously.

This user has no status.
It's actually a 'known secret' that Xiao Zhan only cares about Wang Manyu and spends all his efforts on her, almost like he's trying to create a female Zhang Jike 2.0. XZ followed WMY around during the recently concluded Chinese Table Tennis Super League even though he doesn't have to while LSW had to bank on Ma Lin's goodwill to give her pointers previously.

Fascinating. I wonder if rectifying this will allow LSW to rise to the top again. She isn't that old. But she's probably only on the edge of the top 5 nos. Things can change quickly though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Fascinating. I wonder if rectifying this will allow LSW to rise to the top again. She isn't that old. But she's probably only on the edge of the top 5 nos. Things can change quickly though.

Not sure if she will rise to the top again but as a LSW fan, I am just glad she has someone whom she trusts and who also trusts her to guide her. Her greatest chances for Tokyo 2020 currently lie in Mixed Doubles and the Team event only. Ma Lin revealed in a recent interview that LSW's form has been fluctuating so much because she hasn't completely mastered the new plastic 40mm+ ball rather than it being psychological. Another reason being that age has surely caught up thereby leading to a drop in stamina so LSW should work towards tweaking her style (specifically to utilise the vast amounts of strategic experience accumulated more) instead of playing like she is still in her early 20s. Ding Ning herself likewise once admitted that she finds it difficult at times to execute the tactics she has in mind in reality because her body ('muscle memory') has been so attuned to the rotation/spin and rhythm of the old ball. Fortunately, both DN and LSW are still in the consideration for next year's Olympics because the CNT has this tradition of passing the torch so at least one senior will almost always be there.