Japan Top 12 and WTTC 2019 Trial, 3/2-3

This user has no status.
Oh, it wasn't clear to me whether you wanted the ITTF to make the change or the JNT. Sorry about that.

We will have a world Champion and 3 months later, the same team will be fighting to be the Olympic Champion.

Thats stupid to me.

What will be even more stupid is that probably ITTF will decide to use both results for ratings/rankings so that players which participate in both events will have a huge point advantage against their teammates who don't

Last edited:
Reactions: jawien
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Close to 1.5 million households in Kanto region alone(7.9%) tuned into the Japan Top 12 this year.

yh8aVN9h.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Ishikawa beated twice ZYL but that was when ZYL was still a junior

Ishikawa just got beaten by the CNT's too many times. I think it's tricky for the JNT, say for the team she is somewhat indispensable because of her experience and stability she provides for younger girls, but if JNT is actually to beat CNT, it can only be done by Ito, Miu or ... Hayata (as she proved herself in Portugal). Of course you should never dismiss anybody, Ishi should be #1 in the team ... just not against the CNT.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
An article by Nikkan-Gendai on Ishikawa's response to the voice of "change of generation." In the article the author quotes Ishikawa's H2H against China from the site Takkyu-Navi(which counts the wins in doubles) and compares them with Ito and Hirano.

https://www.nikkan-gendai.com/articles/view/sports/248688
「ライバルがいてこそ自分が成長できると思っているし、年齢は勝負になったらそこまで関係ないと思っています。卓球は作戦が大きく左右するところもある。どうやって工夫していけるかが大事だし、(後進の成長は)刺激をもらっている。焦りや危機感があるのはありがたいこと」
「年齢や今までの成績を一回なくして、また東京五輪に向けて頑張りたい」
"I think I can grow only because I have rivals, and I don't think age has anything to do with the outcome when it comes to playing. Table tennis is a sport where tactics will greatly affect the match. (The growth of youngsters) is stimulating. I'm thankful that there is a sense of angst and crisis."
"I want to do my best for the Tokyo Olympics again by resetting my age and past performance."

Here's what the Japanese netizens have to say on Yahoo. The article was picked up by the Chinese media. The responses in China and Taiwan are largely in line with those below.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/cm/main?d=20190304-00000007-nkgendai-spo
sat***** | 3/4(月) 15:14
来年1月時点の世界ランキング上位2名は自動的にオリンピック代表に選ばれることと、石川は中国以外には安定して勝てることを考えると、代表入りはほぼ確実だろうね。
本音では平野伊藤早田の3人で出て欲しいけど。
早田が劉に勝ったことでシングルスでも中国に対抗できることを証明したし、伊藤とのダブルスを考えても早田は多分3番手で選ばれると思う。そして個人的には平野と石川なら残りの1年半の伸び幅を考慮して平野に賭けてみたいし、「東京でメダル」を目指すなら石川でも良いけど、「東京で金」を目指すなら平野になって欲しいんだよな。
Given the top 2 players in the WR as of January, 2020 will be automatically selected as the Olympic representative, Ishikawa will be almost certain to be a representative, considering she'll be able to beat anyone other than China.
Though I really want Hirano, Ito and Hayata to represent.
Hayata proves she could compete against China even in singles by beating Liu. I think in terms of doubles with Ito, Hayata will probably be chosen as the 3rd member. And personally, I'd like to bet on Hirano taking into account their growth in the remaining 1.5 years. If the goal is medal in Tokyo, then Ishikawa is a good choice, but if the goal is gold in Tokyo, then I want Hirano.

dse***** | 3/4(月) 15:01
石川の対中国戦を少しでも良く見せようとしている。丁と劉の1勝はダブルスの勝ち。シングルスは全敗。朱の1勝は5、6年前の朱が子供の頃に勝ったもの。当然、陳にも王にも全敗。石川が中国に勝てないというのは、ここから来ている。伊藤も平野もシングルスで勝っている。この差は物凄く大きい。

Here are some bits of Ishikawa's matches against China. The 1 win against DN and LSW is in doubles. 0 wins in singles. The 1 win against ZYL is from 5, 6 years ago when she was still a junior. Needless to say, 0 wins against CM and WMY. This is why Ishikawa cannot beat China. Both Ito and Hirano have won in singles.

That is a huge difference.

fwp***** | 3/4(月) 12:11
中国以外には無類の強さ発揮する石川選手。
これで金メダルへの観点では、益々選考が難しい(悩ましい)な。
意地悪な言い方をすると、銀メダルを獲得するには最高の団体メンバー。

Ishikawa who demonstrates unmatched strength other than China.
This makes it even more difficult to select from the point of view of gold medals.
In a nutshell, the best team member to win a silver medal.

joh | 3/4(月) 14:02
外野の世代交代論なんて気にする必要なんてない!
世代交代なんて、相手に勝てば問題なく、負け続ければ、自らが退くでしょう。
オリンピック選考だって、きちんと見える形で行われればよい。
No need to worry about the passing of a generation by the public!
Things like the passing of a generation will be fine if you beat the opponent, and if you keep losing, you will resign yourself.
Even the Olympics trial should be done in a form that looks neat.

tkk***** | 3/4(月) 22:48
石川には別の幸せな道を進んでほしいね もう卓球は十分堪能したからいいじゃん いまさら伊藤に勝ってどうするの? 伊藤以下の後輩に道を譲って引退しよう! その美貌と若さがあればお金持ちの若い男といくらでも結婚して幸せな残りの人生を送れるじゃんか 卓球しか生きる道のない?若手の邪魔をしないでほしい それがあなたが今一番できることです
I would like for Ishikawa to go on another happy path[.] You've already played enough TT[.] What do you get by beating Ito? Give way to juniors like Ito and just retire! With your good looks and youth, you can marry as many rich young men as possible and spend the rest of your happy lives[.] [Something about life with TT alone?] I want you not to disturb young people[.] That's what you can do most now

yas***** | 3/4(月) 19:23
低年齢化は日本だけでは? 石川選手は、まだ26才。せめて30才までは、年齢の事は言わない方がいいです。
Is low-age limited to Japan? Ishikawa is just 26. It's better not to mention age until at least 30 years old.
[TL's note: I say she's already 26. Tokyo 2020 could very well be her last Olympics.]

rui***** | 3/4(月) 12:21
とにかく中国選手に一勝でも多く勝ってほしい
そしたら誰も文句言わない
Whatever the case, I want you to defeat as many Chinese players as possible
Then no one will complain
[TL's note: Not just any, but the top...]

aik***** | 3/4(月) 17:08
いくら進化しようが刺激を受けようが優勝しようが
中国選手に負けすぎは日本の選手のイメージが悪すぎる
美誠ひな美宇美柚のこのあたりが妥当でしょう
とはいっても佳純のベテランの経験はかかせないはず
[Something about evolving, getting stimulated and winning]
Losing too much to Chinese players is too bad an image of Japanese players
Mima, Hina, Miu and [Nagasaki] Miyu will be sufficient
However, the experience of Ishikawa as a veteran is indispensable

toy***** | 3/4(月) 12:19
「相性」というより「実力差」と「用具の差」。
回転量の多い粘着ラバーを中国はメインで使っているため、対応するのは難しく、普通に打ち合うと負ける。

補助剤問題が解決されない限り、中国に勝てないのはやむを得ない。
Rather than "match-up", it's "the difference in ability" and "the difference in equipment".
Because China mostly uses tacky rubber with a large amount of rotation, it is difficult to cope with, and you lose when you hit normally.

China cannot be defeated unless the booster issue is resolved.
[TL's note: Both Ishikawa and Hayata use BS "National" H3...]

wat***** | 3/4(月) 23:14
卓球ナビのデータは間違っているので載せない方がいいよ。
It's best to avoid quoting data from Takkyu-Navi because they're wrong.

bou***** | 3/4(月) 13:26
中国のトップ選手に勝てないのに、ランキングが三位、四位だから、批判が出るのは、当然でしょ。

丁寧、劉詩ウェン、朱だけでない。
若手、陳夢、王、何卓、陳幸同、等著しく成長してる選手にも勝てない。

金メダル狙えるはずがない。

It's only natural for you to be criticized for you cannot defeat the top Chinese players, despite ranking 3rd or 4th.

Not only DN, LSW, and ZYL.
But also youngsters as CM, WMY, HZJ, CXT et al. who have grown remarkably.

Cannot aim for gold medal.

f*****12 | 3/4(月) 12:24
かすみん 今度こそ中国選手に勝ってください 勝てない時は代表辞退ぐらいのかくごで
Kasumin, please defeat the Chinese players this time. Else, have the resolve to retire from the national team

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Cheng beats Sato and Hayata beats Hirano
Waiting for Hayata to beat Cheng and rekindle the Japanese debate. The possibility that the best female player in Japan is not going to the WTTC. This is why trials generally suck, though it is the coaches' fault for picking the wildcards before the trials were completed. Wildcards should only be picked after trials. Hopefully Japan had learned their lesson.

Jan 2018
But transparent, fair and democratic!

All hail democracy!!!

Reactions: quanghuysk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
What was transparent about the selection of Sato?
Also, even if it was transparent, fair and democratic. That doesn't mean there aren't other ways to be transparent, fair and democratic about it, while also making better decisions.

This user has no status.
actually there still could be a Deus ex Machina
if Sato has a (diplomatic) injury or illness, I think it is still time for JNT to be allowed to call another player. Wouldn't that be convenient ?

Not very likely, but in Japan, group always come first. so if the staff is 100% convinced this is the right move, then they might just go for it.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
actually there still could be a Deus ex Machina
if Sato has a (diplomatic) injury or illness, I think it is still time for JNT to be allowed to call another player. Wouldn't that be convenient ?

Not very likely, but in Japan, group always come first. so if the staff is 100% convinced this is the right move, then they might just go for it.

The player they should swap out is probably Kato instead of Sato?