Crazy ball catch skill by Xu Xin!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
The Pongfinity guys have all played for the Finnish national team. Not the strongest TT nation in the world but they're very good players not just showmen. It's like Tony says... most players at that kind of level and above can do some crazy sh*t that us mortals can't comprehend.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Never mind you guys this isn’t the video I was talking about earlier. Holy s**t I couldn’t do this in a million years... damn

Edit: I was thinking it was this one
https://youtu.be/mq7Z4bQtsyY

I recall seeing Dima once with his Tenergy 05
its kindof fun to fool around in the training hall

I once saw Ito did a super high chop on a short close to table push shot, so the ball almost hits the roof, lands on the opponent side (very very close to the net), and back spins over for her to catch. Another great touch of feel and technique.

If you guys get into training halls, its a different TT going on in there

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Xu Xin has figure out how to make the dwell time infinite for all practical purposes.
If you understand the physics of what is happening you would understand dwell time much better.
Obviously it helps to have a tacky rubber and a relatively dead rubber. I really doubt one can do this with the newer non-tacky rubbers or T05.

When Xu Xin hits the ball up it 10 meters, the ball will reach terminal velocity on the way down which is about 8.3m/s
I didn't think anybody could catch a ball faster than 5 m/s but I bet that ball is dropping at about 8 m/s to 8.3 m/s depending on how high Xu Xin can hit the ball. Hitting the ball up high helps keep the speed consistent on the way down because the ball will alway come down at the terminal velocity.

This is impressive. I don't think that catch back spin balls is as impressive. The reason why is that the the back spin dissipates much of the energy spinning up the slope of the paddle whereas Xu Xin must carefully decelerate the ball with little opposing force and dissipate the energy gradually.

The forum has got a dose of geek speak,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Even with no tacky rubber, it's possible. Gauzy made it after losing a point :D

Loopadoop, what you think is difficult, is actually very easy with players with proper touch.
If I recall, I saw JSH playing around one time as well. Wasn't a high ball, but was a decent just over head height
Gauzy here was very high and most importantly - unplanned for

you really under estimate the capability of what is out there..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
all these tricks need to be practiced, once practiced the success rate is higher
spinning the ball on the nail is a good example
any pro who didn't do it before, will need some practice too

Agreed 100%.

People often seem to equate trick type stuff to being a good player or that they can just do that stuff because they are good players.

Someone could practice that stuff and seem very impressive but not be that good at the table.. and vice versa. A pro who's never practiced those trick things will be terrible at first BUT with some practice they'll probably pick it up faster than the average TT player. They're so used to feeling the ball and play so much + probably mess around with the ball a lot or have done when they're standing around so it's no surprise they'll pick these kind of tricks up.

I used to do tricks with a football/soccer ball and some people wondered why I wasn't a pro football player etc.. the funny thing is I've never played football for a team and was awful at playing football.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Read 1 reviews
This is Xu Xin and Ma Long six years ago, practicing these tricks ;)

It definitely wasn't perfect, I agree with you guys, it doesn't matter if you're a good player or not, you always need to practice to perfect your skills. But better players might have an advantage (Xu Xin seemed like he was doing it for the first time and went pretty well).

Also: video shot by TableTennisDaily ;)

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Agreed 100%.

People often seem to equate trick type stuff to being a good player or that they can just do that stuff because they are good players.

Someone could practice that stuff and seem very impressive but not be that good at the table.. and vice versa. A pro who's never practiced those trick things will be terrible at first BUT with some practice they'll probably pick it up faster than the average TT player. They're so used to feeling the ball and play so much + probably mess around with the ball a lot or have done when they're standing around so it's no surprise they'll pick these kind of tricks up.

I used to do tricks with a football/soccer ball and some people wondered why I wasn't a pro football player etc.. the funny thing is I've never played football for a team and was awful at playing football.

correct
tricks is one thing, training is another thing, match situation is another.
some times the player has all 3, some times only 1 of them.

for fans, they look at all 3 separate and all of them have a WOW factor

you can be good at tricks and training, but bad in match - you will never be pro
pro is more training + match, and no need for tricks
some players that are known to fool around more (aka Xu Xin) has full of tricks.... lol

any ways, TT tricks can be achieved by non pros for sure.
It doesn't need any tacky rubber too. Even though I agree tacky rubber makes it so much easier (ie I can do it with H3, but not with Euro/Jap rubber), but again, I don't go out and practice tricks and it is sure not impossible to do it with a non tacky rubber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richie