"Twin-ply sponge", anyone?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Back in the day I remember playing for a while with a rubber that had a multilayered sponge. Maybe it was from TSP. I think the idea was to have something that felt like a soft rubber in passive strokes that didn't bottom out too easily in more active engagement.

I didn't adapt to it well back then, and it's by no means a winning idea. I've searched for it out of curiosity, though, and my searches haven't turned up anything. As far as I can tell there's no reason such a contraption would be disallowed.

Does anybody remember this rubber type? Any reason why this would be an intrinsically unsound idea?

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Do not follow. Do you mean two kinds of sponges?

Speaking of sponges. Met a Guy with a weird blade. Tibhar blade. Handle thick like a tennis bat almost. There were also sponge in the handle so you could press the handle and it would move. Tibhar Ronin 6 is it called after a Google search. Odd blade.

Yes, I remember it and I've mentioned it in some thread, talking about sponges and mattresses.
I haven't played with it, but I find the idea to be usefull for some players, though just for few.
It is supposed to be very nonlinear in speed, spin and throw.
Maybe its discontinued and the idea has been abondened.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
As far as I can tell there's no reason such a contraption would be disallowed.

But it is.

2.4.3.2 Sandwich rubber is a single layer of cellular rubber covered with a singleouter layer of ordinary pimpled rubber, the thickness of the pimpled rubbernot being more than 2.0mm.

Whatever you remember, either the rules have changed of the manufacturer fancied a bi-coloured sponge.

Reactions: yoass
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
But it is.

2.4.3.2 Sandwich rubber is a single layer of cellular rubber covered with a singleouter layer of ordinary pimpled rubber, the thickness of the pimpled rubbernot being more than 2.0mm.

Whatever you remember, either the rules have changed of the manufacturer fancied a bi-coloured sponge.

There might be some wiggle room there, in the definition of what exactly constitutes a "single layer" in the context of semiliquids like rubber, but I certainly missed that one. Could a "single layer" be produced by foaming up "the same" sponge mass in different colours? :)

I'm pretty sure the sponge had distinct plies, though, glued together. I've remember cutting the rubber to the blade and tinkering with the leftover bits. Ah well, old history, then. Begone!

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
Speaking of sponges. Met a Guy with a weird blade. Tibhar blade. Handle thick like a tennis bat almost. There were also sponge in the handle so you could press the handle and it would move. Tibhar Ronin 6 is it called after a Google search. Odd blade.
Feels like he just put this on his blade.

cache.php

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Haha almost But the sponge is inbetween the Wood in the handle. Not outside.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Haha almost But the sponge is inbetween the Wood in the handle. Not outside.

Looked around a bit, saw pictures, and less than favourable reviews. What stood out for me was the remark by a user that sweat affected the bond between the foam and the handle, negatively affecting play. One user described it came loose altogether quite easily after a few months, and that the blade played awfully after regluing the handle (without the intermediate foam).

Yogi seems to have reviewed these Ronin blades. Looks like the wrong thing to mess with.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Back in the day I remember playing for a while with a rubber that had a multilayered sponge. Maybe it was from TSP. I think the idea was to have something that felt like a soft rubber in passive strokes that didn't bottom out too easily in more active engagement.

I didn't adapt to it well back then, and it's by no means a winning idea. I've searched for it out of curiosity, though, and my searches haven't turned up anything. As far as I can tell there's no reason such a contraption would be disallowed.

Does anybody remember this rubber type? Any reason why this would be an intrinsically unsound idea?

Ha, amazing. TSP isn't so far off, just messed up the order of letters...
[Emoji6]
I had that rubber too and been thinking of it just a few days ago. It was produced by Donic and was called DONIC Slick TPS (two-ply-sponge) but it only was allowed for one season. Must have been somewhere around 1984 / 1985 back then when Dr. Nicklas was working for Donic long time before he founded ESN.

Then they changed the rule and it wasn't allowed anymore since technically it was two sponges.

It had a firm hard sponge in yellow at the bottom and on top of that a softer white sponge. Both about 1.0mm together adding up to ~2.0mm.

Great that I'm not the only one remembering that rubber.

Last edited:
Reactions: fais and yoass