Blade between WSC and TB ALC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I've been playing back and forth with these blades. I love the control i get with the WSC but miss the speed, with the TB ALC i have the speed but miss the control, i wish it was just a little softer. I've read that Viscaria feels a little softer than TB ALC, is it true?

These are some of the blades i've been looking at, i have a preference for Donic because i can get a discount:
- Ovtcharov no.1
- Ovtcharov true carbon
- Ovtcharov original senso carbon
- Yinhe M202
- Viscaria

Viscaria and TB ALC are basically same structure.
If you want to choose something softer than TB ALC, then choose Innerforce ALC.
True carbon is stiff, is somewhere like the TB ALC.

I think No.1 is a good choise in between WSC and TB ALC. It is basically a MaLong 5 with donic handle.

Reactions: RidTheKid
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
+1 for ALC deeper down.

FWIW, I have some, but limited, experience in hitting with the TB ALC, Viscaria, Ovtcharov True Carbon and similar blades and have played with the Treiber K (in that family) for a while.

These blades are very similar, and to me, there seemed to be more individual difference than difference by type. Between two TB ALCs and two Viscarias, one TB ALC and one Viscaria might be relatively slow, whereas the other ones felt faster and more lively. I have attributed the difference more to differences in individual blade weight. A 90g TB ALC, to me, packed more punch than a 86g Viscaria, and vice versa. (Thes blades are differently balanced, and have different handles, though; I'd prefer the balance and the handle of the Viscaria. Timo Boll disagrees.)

Different people have different needs. In the end I got myself an inner layer blade with a relatively heavy weight, but a bit more center-balanced than most blades — that tend to balance towards the head.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I know Viscaria,TB ALC, and ZJ ALC are supposed to have the same structure, but i tried my friend's ZJ ALC and it is significantly softer and i also prefer the handle. He is willing to sell it, maybe it's a good option. However i could get the Ovtcharov no.1 for less and maybe it would suit me better. I just fear i won't like it because i had a h301 and didn't like it at all. Found it very slow on the lower gears and very low throw. Is the Ovtcharov no.1 (or HL5 since it's a copy) like that?

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I know Viscaria,TB ALC, and ZJ ALC are supposed to have the same structure, but i tried my friend's ZJ ALC and it is significantly softer and i also prefer the handle. He is willing to sell it, maybe it's a good option. However i could get the Ovtcharov no.1 for less and maybe it would suit me better. I just fear i won't like it because i had a h301 and didn't like it at all. Found it very slow on the lower gears and very low throw. Is the Ovtcharov no.1 (or HL5 since it's a copy) like that?

If you like that particular ZJK ALC, and like the ZJK handle (I do, but well, not really relevant) then why not go that way? You know what you're going to get.

I've held the HL5 a few times, and found it to be fast beyond my skill level. I can master the Viscaria-class, sort of, barely, though. You miss control, so I gather, with the TB ALC; I doubt a blade of HL5 caliber would get you more of that.

If you don’t like 301, probably don’t try No.1.

HL5 is even slower than 301 at slow power (because of limba as top ply compared to koto on 301)
its good for short game.
It also has a higher throw than 301, and TB ALC.

If you are used to outer carbon blades, switching to inner carbon blade will need a change in technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I guess i will ask my friend to try his blade with my rubbers, it's the safest choice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I will try the ZJ ALC with my rubbers. My friend is willing to sell it for 100€, it is in very good condition so i think it is a fair price.

I would love to try the Crest Ar+, but 105€ for something i'm not sure i would like is a bit much for me.

Regarding the measurements at TTGearlab, the Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon should be something like a slower Boll ALC.
I have bought this blade quite cheap for 40 € new and will some day try and compare it to a Boll ALC.
To be honest, for this price, it should be something to consider buying and try it.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Regarding the measurements at TTGearlab, the Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon should be something like a slower Boll ALC.
I have bought this blade quite cheap for 40 € new and will some day try and compare it to a Boll ALC.
To be honest, for this price, it should be something to consider buying and try it.

I've owned the OCC and played with it for about a year. It's an inner layer composite type blade, and much more subdued than the TB ALC, which has ALC directly beneath the top veneer.

Additionally, the TB ALC has an outer of Koto, whereas the OCC uses Limba (I think). The feel of the TB ALC is much crisper, and it's a much livelier blade. Its high gears also kick in earlier, but I'm tempted to think the OCC's ceiling is higher. The OCC offers a longer dwell and to me seemed flexier. I had a better short and direct game with the TB ALC, but probably a better game against pushblockers and classic defenders with the OCC.

I do think the OCC is underrated and still like the blade, even though at same point my heart yearned for that feeling Koto has. But it's in no way comparable to the TB ALC in a linear way. It's very different in many aspects.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I have a similar "problem", currently using H301 or Viscaria, depending on the venue (I know) and my own energy level. It's not quite as simple as just the blade though, as I can't really use the same rubbers on both. So, I have been looking for something between, and have tried an Ovtcharov Number 1, which is a good blade, certainly more usable for me than a Fang Bo 2 which should be similar. I much prefer it to a friend's WSC. However, the ON1 doesn't really give me anything extra, so I am now looking at a Stiga Dynasty as a slightly slower outer carbon blade, as in slightly slower than a Viscaria. Trouble is, I won't get it before April and the end of the league season. I don't really expect any of these blades to massively alter my game BTW, but I still like to try them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I have a similar "problem", currently using H301 or Viscaria, depending on the venue (I know) and my own energy level. It's not quite as simple as just the blade though, as I can't really use the same rubbers on both. So, I have been looking for something between, and have tried an Ovtcharov Number 1, which is a good blade, certainly more usable for me than a Fang Bo 2 which should be similar. I much prefer it to a friend's WSC. However, the ON1 doesn't really give me anything extra, so I am now looking at a Stiga Dynasty as a slightly slower outer carbon blade, as in slightly slower than a Viscaria. Trouble is, I won't get it before April and the end of the league season. I don't really expect any of these blades to massively alter my game BTW, but I still like to try them.
If you want a slower blade, then buy a lighter sample, then you will get used faster and simpler