Old vs New Stiga OC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Although I am a penholder, I love collecting old blades. I especially like Stiga blades due to their relatively larger handle. But the newer Stiga allwood blades are quite disappointing. I have used Intensity NCT and Celero Wood. They have a hollow feel when looping hard despite their speed. I don't really like that feel.

I was lucky I got an old Stiga Hans Asler OC for cheap. It's a SH. So I put a Andro R47 on Fh and Vega Europe on BH. Then I hit with it just for fun. The flex is there as expected. What surprises me is that the kick produced by the flex is really solid and strong, no hollow feel. I really like that feel.

I would love to get the same Hans Asler OC in penhold. From my understanding it doesn't exist. The standard OC has penhold version.

My question is, does the standard OC have the same feel and characteristics (strong solid kick + flex) as the old Hans Asler one?

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Probably yes, if you find a matching blade from the same period. I suspect that predates the "Offensive Classic" branding, I think these blades are labeled "Offensive Wood".

There are various "signature" blades of that type: the Kjell Johansson (elliptical/conical handle), Stellan Bengtsson or Ulf ”Tickan” Carlsson (anatomical or straight), the Hans Alsér (flared). I'm not sure player names and handle shapes are 1 on 1 in all cases; the KJ is definitely that handle, but I think I've seen the Stellan Bengtsson with different handles and am not sure about the Alsér.

There have been several wood compositions. The current OC is a limba/spruce/ayous/spruce/limba blade, but there seem to have been OC's with dyed (darkened) koto outers.

Before that, I think the "Offensive Wood" or "Stiga Offensive" labeled Stiga blades mainly used walnut outers, with a dyed (red) second layer of limba. Probably up to around '80 or so. After that, it's been a second layer of (black) paduk (early '80s), later in the '80s the paduk got replaced by (undyed) spruce.

Then, it became dyed koto outers and got labeled "Offensive Classic", but at some point ('90s, I guess) the outers got replaced by limba while retaining the "OC" name.

My guess is that it's the current limba/spruce/ayous/spruce/limba/limba blades you like less ("hollow"), and that it's the (old!) walnut version you liked better, because I think Stiga dropped the Alsér moniker early on.

I don't think they were ever made in JPEN or CPEN, though. You might want to have a chat with the good folks over at OSP...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Probably yes, if you find a matching blade from the same period. I suspect that predates the "Offensive Classic" branding, I think these blades are labeled "Offensive Wood".

There are various "signature" blades of that type: the Kjell Johansson (elliptical/conical handle), Stellan Bengtsson or Ulf ”Tickan” Carlsson (anatomical or straight), the Hans Alsér (flared). I'm not sure player names and handle shapes are 1 on 1 in all cases; the KJ is definitely that handle, but I think I've seen the Stellan Bengtsson with different handles and am not sure about the Alsér.

There have been several wood compositions. The current OC is a limba/spruce/ayous/spruce/limba blade, but there seem to have been OC's with dyed (darkened) koto outers.

Before that, I think the "Offensive Wood" or "Stiga Offensive" labeled Stiga blades mainly used walnut outers, with a dyed (red) second layer of limba. Probably up to around '80 or so. After that, it's been a second layer of (black) paduk (early '80s), later in the '80s the paduk got replaced by (undyed) spruce.

Then, it became dyed koto outers and got labeled "Offensive Classic", but at some point ('90s, I guess) the outers got replaced by limba while retaining the "OC" name.

My guess is that it's the current limba/spruce/ayous/spruce/limba/limba blades you like less ("hollow"), and that it's the (old!) walnut version you liked better, because I think Stiga dropped the Alsér moniker early on.

I don't think they were ever made in JPEN or CPEN, though. You might want to have a chat with the good folks over at OSP...

Wow eye opening. Didn't know the differences are that significant. That probably explain why the feel is way better with older OC.

I am just afraid to purchase a new Stiga OC that might turn out hollow again.

I have had really bad experience with Stiga until Hans Asler OC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
No option old stiga, i love stiga pro carbon, its give me much spin and control.