Thoughts on coaching in-between points?

NDH

says Spin to win!
Just over 2 years ago, the rules changed to allow "coaching" in between points.

Now, I've watched a fair few pro matches, and it doesn't look like it's had a detrimental impact on the gameplay, speed or anything else.

I was playing in a local league match last night (if you had to generalise it, it's the most "friendly" league I play in, with players having played in it for many years, and typically everyone gets on with each other).

For anyone who doesn't know, a local league match in the UK is 3 vs 3 (everyone plays everyone), with 1 doubles at the end.

Anyway, one of their players is extremely unorthodox, with short pips (almost hard bat like) on the backhand, and a very very spinny forehand rubber.

He doesn't attack, but he mixes up his forehand and backhand really well, which generally catches people off guard (especially those who can't hit a decent backhand).

Now, there are very few people who are genuinely looking to improve their game in this league - Most are happy playing the same way they have for the past 20/30/40 years, and just carry on playing for the enjoyment/competitive side.

But my 2 team mates are looking to improve where possible, and I would make comments like "go through the ball" with a shadow action, whilst sitting on the side.

Or it might be "get over the ball", you get the idea.

This would happen (generally), after they'd missed a shot, and the opponent was going to pick the ball up - i.e, not taking any time at all.

Likewise, I'd have a very brief (30 second) chat in between sets to go over some tactics - This is a pretty alien concept to most of the players in this league, who simply don't have anyone that could do that for them.

Anyway, one of their guys got pretty annoyed by this (he was playing, and I was occasionally giving his opponent who was my teammate, some advice when he missed), and said I shouldn't be offering any advice at all as it was against the rules.

I obviously knew it wasn't, but wasn't going to aggravate the situation in what was supposed to be a relatively friendly affair.

So, the question to you folk (especially those who may play in leagues, but also to our brothers from America and beyond)......

Now the rule is in place, and doesn't seem to cause delays - What are your thoughts on it?

To add some context behind why I do it with weaker teammates, it's so that they can learn on the spot, and improve their game. It's all well and good giving the advice after the game, but by that point you might not play them again all year.

So the player has a chance to improve there and then.

That's my feeling anyway - What's yours?

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
So the player has a chance to improve there and then.

Exactly. Make a connection with the situation. Better than theory or memory. And a chance to win right there and then.

The "lower league" problem: Somebody (often older) will complain about something that is "against the rules". In most cases it isn´t and never has been, or has been what feels like ages ago. And then the guy who knows the rules will step back in order to save the "friendly" atmosphere, like you did.

Well, if it is a team competition, then anyone authorised to be in the playing area may give advices the way you describe.
But on individual competition the "adviser" should introduce himself to the umpire.
Frankly speaking we don't use the freedom of these rules here and we stick to giving advices the old way. And I personally think that its better for the discipline and concentration of the players. As a coach you don't have to sit on his head. Live streaming advices may hurt rather than help no matter how good they are. There is a time for that and its called coached training.
But all this is just my personal opinion.

Reactions: mart1nandersson

NDH

says Spin to win!
Well, if it is a team competition, then anyone authorised to be in the playing area may give advices the way you describe.
But on individual competition the "adviser" should introduce himself to the umpire.
Frankly speaking we don't use the freedom of these rules here and we stick to giving advices the old way. And I personally think that its better for the discipline and concentration of the players. As a coach you don't have to sit on his head. Live streaming advices may hurt rather than help no matter how good they are. There is a time for that and its called coached training.
But all this is just my personal opinion.

I guess there are so many ways people can interpret what I've said, it's very hard to explain it exactly like it was (along with the context).

To add a bit more context to it.

• I'm a much better player than my team mates (it sounds big headed, it's not supposed to be, but it's an attempt to explain that I can help them out, where they wouldn't be able to help my, or others).

• The player they were playing against who had a really unusual style, with unusual rubbers is not someone you can train for - I mean, sure, as long as you have good fundamentals, you'll be fine, but the tactics of playing someone like that are very different.

• "Coaching" is probably the wrong word for it - It might just be a couple of words after one of points in the entire set - Nothing that is particularly distracting, but something to give my teammate a chance to think about how he is playing, and ultimately improve his game there and then.

• I wouldn't expect people to be able to suddenly do things they couldn't previously (like a monster top spin loop or anything) - Most of the comments are fine adjustments (of which, there will likely be 2 or 3 over 5 sets).

The last point would be how far removed this setting/match is from a tournament or pro league.

There are no official umpires or playing areas (we score our own matches, alternating between teams who is umpiring).

I can see why he got annoyed, and I guess the only people who will really understand (especially given the nature of the UK personality/population), are other UK league players!

But thought it would be a good talking point to see what other countries would also think.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I play in the lower leagues in Sweden and it's common with active coaches during the matches especially if a team participates with a fairly young team (i.e. 11-14 year olds). Personally I don't mind at all but I've seen some of the more senior players (>50) getting quite upset and saying stuff like it's cheating etc. I've never been sure if it was allowed or not.

Quite a few of the bigger clubs here put the youngster into the mens (the Swedish word is 'senior' but it doesn't mean veteran/masters... i.e. above 20) leagues as some sort of baptism by fire.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Sounds very similar to the UK set up.

Also, for anyone wondering (and it would be good to see if this is universal), the age groups go......

Cadet (14-16)
Junior (16-18)
Senior (18-40)
Veteran (40+)

But in the local league, all ages will play each other.

I definitely think the "active coaching" annoys the older generation more.

1. They aren't used to it.
2. They probably do see it as cheating in their own way - But ultimately the rules change and you've got to roll with it!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
We have similar age groups but it mainly applies to tournaments. There's a kids league but most of the talented players will be playing in the senior league system from the age of 11/12. I play in division 6 which is mainly 12-14 year olds and old farts (>40). You can play in multiple divisions but you have a quarantine of 1 week if you play in league match (i.e you can't play division 4 and 6 within the same 7 day period). It's a bit like a bag of pick and mix candy in the lower divisions as you can meet crappy players like myself but also players with fairly high rankings (>1700 Swedish TTA ranking). It's great fun and I enjoy getting coached by my 13 year old team mates :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What i have understand from talking to umpires is that it is only allowed at a certain level? Feel that the rule do not seem very clear. If someone know the rule or find it would be nice to hear what it actually say in words.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The umpire i spoke to, a guy which travel the worlds and is a umpire for pro tour tournament, swedish highest leauge and stuff like that, said that it is only allowed to coach during the sets in the second and first leaugue in sweden. Do not know how up to date he is but he is very active so think he should know his stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
It clearly says:
3.5.1:3.5.1 Advice 3.5.1.3 Players may receive advice at any time except during rallies; provided that continuity of play is not affected (3.4.4.1); if any authorised person gives advice illegally the umpire shall hold up a yellow card to warn him or her that any further such offence will result in his or her dismissal from the playing area.Effective date: 1 October 2016 Passed"

It says nothing of higher leagues or lower leagues, so to me this means that it's for all leagues.

Actually we've been discussing this already a while ago.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...w-Rule-Approved!-Coaching-Between-Points-2016!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It clearly says:

It says nothing of higher leagues or lower leagues, so to me this means that it's for all leagues.

Actually we've been discussing this already a while ago.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...w-Rule-Approved!-Coaching-Between-Points-2016!

Okay, that is very interesting. I think he is one of the highest umpires that you can be, so it was interesting that he did not know this.

Pretty crazy rule then. Coaching can change alot at a lower level i think.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
In Korean amateur TT, not only have they forever been coaching in between points, but coach will coach you DURING the rally.

"Drive !! Block !! Connecting Shot !! Connecting Shot !! Go Left !! SMASHING !!! YEAH !!!!!!!

That is a typical sequence if the club coach is behind the barrier on your side.

That works for the Koreans well. No one complains. They only complain when I single handedly outcheer a dozen strong loud O50 ladies who can make a fair sized country racket when they get it up.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Okay, that is very interesting. I think he is one of the highest umpires that you can be, so it was interesting that he did not know this.

Pretty crazy rule then. Coaching can change alot at a lower level i think.

You would be surprised at what a lot of national and ITTF level umpires do not know. A goodly chunk of them do not even try to stay current with rules and couldn't punch themselves out of a wet paper bag if they had to quickly research a rule.